My First 1969 4 Door Datsun 510

savag

So i did some research and went with the jetta radiator for now. Fits perfectly and cools great so far. DId full tune up on the engine, ( spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter ) cost me $35!

Heres some pix i have, will post more later.

photo1_zps63d92757.jpg

photo2_zps9f3e8644.jpg

photo3_zpsb97ea1dd.jpg

photo4_zps413c2df7.jpg

photo11_zps8be670b9.jpg

10476266_10152120416082212_1264542154_o_

1617792_10152120415397212_1215889342_o_z

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a pic of the Jetta radiator?

Fits perfectly to the top. EVen if using stock shroud and fan.

photo1_zpsa4c5b281.jpg

If you leave the side plastic tabs on it fits really tight from frame rail to frame rail.

photo2_zps1a600012.jpg

Another erason its great is because it has these tabs on both sides that you can put a screw in so i drilled holes behind the grill and put a screw into the tab to hold it

photo7_zpsb259a304.jpg

photo4_zps6236726d.jpg

Only thing is you have to instal an inline filler neck because these radiators on the jetta are with an external pressure resevoir.

photo6_zpsf0fd0fb7.jpg

photo5_zps108469bf.jpg

good to see a jetta radiator fit (what gen?)

I'll remember that if my champion goes out. I dunno if it leaves enough space beside it for my intercooler piping though.

super clean car. closeup pics of brakes installed on car?

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

hey guys so decided to go with a different engine swap route and gonna keep the l16 in there for now. I was looking into getting a aftermarket exhaust manifold installed and was kinda looking at it and had a question, does the intake manifold have to come off in order to get the exhaust header out?

Also was looking to get a new intake/exhaust gasket and noticed there was some that have oval ports and some round, did the l16 head come with different ports?

thanks for ur input in advance

I'd just get the gasket from rockauto. The intake and exhaust share many of the same mounting studs. Just pull them both off and give yourself some room to work.

Here is my intake and exhaust ports. Looks like round intake and square exhaust.

Shitty picture alert:

IMG_20131117_203542_907_zpsd62eed0a.jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

so I'm looking in purchasing some new wheels for the dime. 15x7 all around for easy fitment. I dont have zx struts up front. My question is, whats a good offset to run on a 15x7 wheel with 205/50/15 tire setup? I was guessing like +20 but want to double check before i purchase anything

I run +25mm Rota RBs  with a 195 /45 series  with stock 510 struts with a coil over and perch welded at the stock height(so dont hit top of tire,perch and spring))  using a 7 inch Eibach spring

some 205s up front might hit depending on brand as not all 205s are the same  205 in back is fine. would go 195s up front myself

maybe a +20 would be better.

saw the brakes you got there but that dont look stock 510 to me? looks 280zz (not stock 510)

Yeah i was thinking +20 as well. Its a custom coilover kit i put together and its a stock 510 strut with custom brake rotor and caliper bracket to bolt up the wilwood caliper

I run +25mm Rota RBs  with a 195 /45 series  with stock 510 struts with a coil over and perch welded at the stock height(so dont hit top of tire,perch and spring))  using a 7 inch Eibach spring

some 205s up front might hit depending on brand as not all 205s are the same  205 in back is fine. would go 195s up front myself

maybe a +20 would be better.

saw the brakes you got there but that dont look stock 510 to me? looks 280zz (not stock 510)

Well be careful Like I said I had Icehouse on here weld the perch at the same stock location(510) just to make sure the tire would not hit.

also since you have a differnt Brake caliper be nice to have a whell put on there ot make sure that clears

So this Calipers wear straight as you know the 510 had angles brake pads.

Eric on here found soem Rota RB in +20s but never seen them listed

Badass car! Looks so great, and a great start. Don't crash this car mann :thumbup:

BTW it is a true 68 produc. year you call it i guess, but only just registered as a 69!

68 Dashcluster makes the round curve on the edges as a rectangle with round edges, 69 has the top and bottom edges not connected.

Plus the grill on it  :w00t:

Lol nah im going sr20 in the future, changed plans. Got something in mind that i will be building but for now, he l16 is fine (: thanks for props

NOOOO!! K20? or whatever honda motor!

Dude it's a datsun for Ratsun's sake.

And a 68 too, have fun with an L, don't mess up the dash at least.

Your car your choices,

I'm hating tho :(

• 2 years later...

Hey guys havnt been on here in a while. Been busy with new house and while moving process/remodeling and now baby on the way. Datsun has been sitting since August last year when my carb went out I believe .seems like it's just flooding with fuel and I didn't have much time to mess with it. I just recently picked up this beams 3sge blacktop that I will be swapping in the 510 this winter. I will have the engine up for sale once I pull it if anyone is interested. It's an l16 that was rebuilt by previous owner and then the car sat until I purchased it. I put about 20k miles on the engine with no issues at all. Did compression test on it after my carb went out and it read 205 all cylinders. If anyone is interested jusy pm me. Also will come with headers and trans. New clutch kit 5k miles ago and full tune up

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks good, also besides all the other stuff they mentioned about it being a 68 sold as a 69, is the Spearhead front fender lights are specific too.

As with all projects, life comes first so get all you can done in a month before parts get scattered and interest is lost.