My First 1969 4 Door Datsun 510

savag

Hi guys i purchased my first datsun 510 back in march from a guy in Salinas, Ca that had restored the car 15 years ago. New paint job and reupholstery and had the engine rebuilt and the car just sat ever since. He gave it to his 16 year old son last year and his son didn't want it and bought an Audi instead and decided to put the datsun up for sale. His dad was really sad to see it go when i came to pick it up. I towed it to Sacramento and started seeing as why the clutch wasn't working. Replaced master slave clutch cylinder and blew out all hard lines. Bled the clutch and it started working but brakes werent working now. So i went ahead and also replaced master brake cylinder because it blew from age. Got it all going and drove it around the block but didn't like the way the brakes worked. They were way too weak so i parked it and it sat ever since march. Now i finally decided to get going on it. Curently have the front hub apart and am working on making a custom brake upgrade for it, custom coilover kit and replacing all bushings. Gonna keep the stock L16 in there for now but will deffiantly swap something interesting in there soon. Will post pix soon

HERE ARE A FEW PIX OF WHEN I FIRST GOT IT BACK TO SACRAMENTO

IMAG0333_zpsd2ae89b0.jpg

IMAG0331_zps76b8f9a1.jpg

IMAG0334_zpse3881e1c.jpg

IMAG0355_zps5e276aab.jpg

IMAG0356_zpsd7873dc3.jpg

IMAG0357_zps29ca56e1.jpg

IMAG0365_zpsc42f0ad3.jpg

IMAG0366_zpsedb8c348.jpg

IMAG0375_zps891ccbaa.jpg

IMAG0373_zps38c082a3.jpg

IMAG0372_zps85990dc0.jpg

IMAG0369_zpsc6daa89b.jpg

IMAG0374_zps9ad55268.jpg

WORKING ON THE BIG BRAKE UPGRADE TO WORK WITH THE 510 SUSPENSION AND HUB ASSEMBLY

Going to have the center bore on the new rotors machined to a bigger diamater tomarow to fit the

hub and will start on the mounting bracket for the wilwood calipers. 

IMAG0993_zpsf024c47c.jpg

IMAG0994_zps8d72bfa2.jpg

IMAG0996_zps1af57614.jpg

IMAG0997_zpsd6a93fff.jpg

IMAG0999_zps3a70db08.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know to much bout them as this is my first one but atleast by title it's a 69 so thats why I titled it as 1969. Was there a difference in the 68 and 69?

The larger obvious things are: grille is different, wipers are different, dash is different, no rear markers, taillights are different, and rear bumper is different. Youve got the rarer of the cars so as long as you didnt pay a fortune, you did good. Just means you have a 68 car sold/titled in 69.

IMAG0999_zps3a70db08.jpg

Did you paint the grill black? :confused: It was so nice in its normal stainless... 

• Like 1

The larger obvious things are: grille is different, wipers are different, dash is different, no rear markers, taillights are different, and rear bumper is different. Youve got the rarer of the cars so as long as you didnt pay a fortune, you did good. Just means you have a 68 car sold/titled in 69.

Did you paint the grill black? :confused: It was so nice in its normal stainless... 

I had it  powdercoated. It was gettin rusted in places

I had it  powdercoated. It was gettin rusted in places

The reason he asked, is because that grill is '68 specific, and means something to show it off in it's stock form....

Before you make too many mods to the interior trim, or exterior trim, you my want to check on what the differences are with the '68, since it is one of the "rarest" years.  Changing too many things about the '68 may hurt some of the value when selling within the community.....  That's your decision to make though.

It's a pretty sweet car.  Everything points to it being a '68.  There are some differences in the way the body panels are stamped on a '68, especially in the cowl area, but I don't have any pictures on hand to post, to show the differences....

Can't wait to see your progress!

• Like 1

I see exactly what he means by that. I honestly didn't know it was that rare. I just happened to come across this one and decided to go with it for the fact that it was still all in one piece and not someones project that was tooken all apart or hacked up already and because I really wanted a four door. I have a thing for sedans.... But I'll deff keep yah posted as I move along. All feedback is appreciated as I am fairly new to these cars.

• Like 1

I kno I'll get a lot of hate on this build but this is an awesome car and an awesome engine

There are a few F20 510s out there. I dont think most of us will hate on a swap in general... we just dont want to see a rare year 510 (or any 510 really) cut up by an inexperienced builder for a swap they will never finish. 

If you think you have the skills to do it right, then proceed. No one here will really give you any shit. Just dont hack up the car. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nothing irritates me more then ill placed jack stands... always always always they go under the rails under the car .... I know unibody, but they still have a section where it looks like a frame railish thing... use those ....never that stupid point on the rocker.....your just lowerting the value of your car with unnecessary damage.... and it shows your not a car guy ...just sayin......I like motor but not for Datsun ... but curious

• Like 1

Sorry guys been waiting on some coilovers and custom brake caliper brackets. In process of making a coilover kit for the 510 that will allow me to use stock front hubs and not switching over to the 280z suspension while also using a 11in rotor with wilwood calipers all with the stock 510 hubs. Doing suspension and brakes first, engine will be next sometime beginning of next year or so

Also if everything works out as planned, if anyone is interested I will be making extra sets. Didn't really introduce myself but we are a BMW shop that restores BMW e30's/2002 and do a lot of custom fabricating so I'll keep yah posted on what I figure with the Datsun.