lowering?

Esteban

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The above but replace the front shocks to firm up the suspension. Lowering risks bottoming out the exhaust pipe and 40 year old shocks won't help. For the back a 2" (maybe 3 ") set of blocks between the leaf springs and the axle. Lowering blocks usually come as a 'kt' with longer U bolts too.

I understand the lowering blocks. But what you mean by index?

The front torsion bars are connected to the rear side of the lower control arm(LCA) on each side, you can loosen the torsion bars, then back them out and re-index them so when you tighten them up to the position that they were before, but the truck will not be as high in the front when done.

There are draw backs to doing this, if you go to far down, it will bottom out on the bump stops, or when you hit a bump it will bottom out, some that want to be real low will trim the bump stops, others will remove them all together, but if you hit to big a bump, it will hit metal to metal, it does not lead to a good ride.

• 2 weeks later...

For firming up the front, I'm seeing some difference opinion. I mainly want to know if y'all think stock shocks are the best route or going with a firmer kyb after market shock is best. I reindexed my bars and put in blocks in the back. I need new shocks either way, just wanted some opinions.

OK you are lower to the ground... lower and closer to objects that could rip your exhaust off or puncture your oil pan. It would be best to have stiffer springs that don't allow as much movement when going through dips in the road. Likewise you don't want to go over a speed bump (even slowly) only to slam down on the other side and bottom out. A shock absorber doesn't limit travel but it resists change, especially sudden change.

• Like 1

Hold on not sol fast listen to what these guys said,good shocks are good shocks,here is your problem finding a good shock short enough.Firmer is no problem you can spend 1000.00 on the best shocks your still going to bottom out,if you have fab skills or a high limit credit card look in to going a different route because reindexing works but its the cheap way and you are going to bottom out no matter what you do.I went to coil overs and the ride is better then torsion bars but the geometry of the coilovers dont work for the right drop and bottoming out,it ends up being a mini truck ride again.Hope this helps.

• 7 years later...
1 hour ago, Zonargx said:

How low does one spline get you? I’m trying to lower my 521 in the front just about 2 inches. To lower you go clock wise or counter?

So good question, 1 spline movement only, should do the trick for your desired drop. Turn the drivers side counter clock wise and the passenger side clock wise. That will move them both in the direction need. When you lie down under the truck it will make sense. Looking forward and you will be like holy shit.lol

• Like 1

Turning the torsion bar adjusting bolt out removes the tension on the torsion bar and results in lowering the front of the truck.  This also removes the weight bearing and spring action of the torsion bar transferring these qualities to the shock absorber.  In essence you will end up blowing out your shocks.

• Like 1

When you tighten the torsion bar adjusting bolt you are twisting (loading) the torsion bar.   When you loosen the torsion bar adjusting bolt you are un-twisting (un-loading).  When you tighten a torsion bar up to lift the truck you are alsomiking the front suspension stiffer, harsher ride.  This is what a torsion bar is designed to do set the ride height and the stiffness of the suspension (support the weight of the front of the truck, cushion bumps) .