Stainless lines to replace hard lines on MBC

calistile

Not sure if anyone has done this, or if it's even recommend.

I'm using a Wilwood 1" MBC, currently utilizing hard lines to the distribution block. What I've just done recently, is rebuild my steering box. And before I drop that in, I wanted to order a Steering Support Brace (i.e. Datsport, Maddat, what do you recommend also).

The issue, is that when I made my hardlines, they come close to the steering box, and will be in the way of that Steering Support Brace. Rather then bend new lines, is it possible to run stainless lines (i.e. Earls), as opposed to hard lines? Maybe it's not even recommended, I'm not sure. But while I research more tonight, I thought I'd get the opinions from my fellow ratsun folk.

Thanks!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as the lines are rated for the appropriate pressure, it is SAFE to use them.

however, the braided lines, hoses, and all those will flex under pressure, which is why it is ideal to use hardline.

but to answer your question, you caaan use em. 

On another web site, I ran into these nickle-copper brake lines.   They are suppose to be easier to bend, and form flares in, and also do not rust.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-NiCopp-Nickel-Copper-Brake-Lines/2111534/10002/-1

I have not tried them, yet.  My opinion on them is just based on what I read on a computer, and we all know internet research is always accurate.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has done this, or if it's even recommend.

I'm using a Wilwood 1" MBC, currently utilizing hard lines to the distribution block. What I've just done recently, is rebuild my steering box. And before I drop that in, I wanted to order a Steering Support Brace (i.e. Datsport, Maddat, what do you recommend also).

The issue, is that when I made my hardlines, they come close to the steering box, and will be in the way of that Steering Support Brace. Rather then bend new lines, is it possible to run stainless lines (i.e. Earls), as opposed to hard lines? Maybe it's not even recommended, I'm not sure. But while I research more tonight, I thought I'd get the opinions from my fellow ratsun folk.

Thanks!!

Not sure if you mean the braided wire ones. If so I say no. Use hard lines. There's no advantage to stainless ones and the high nickle content will made them more brittle and hard to bend without kinking. Just get pre made brake lines (similar length) and bend them yourself.

Not sure if you mean the braided wire ones. If so I say no. Use hard lines. There's no advantage to stainless ones and the high nickle content will made them more brittle and hard to bend without kinking. Just get pre made brake lines (similar length) and bend them yourself  

is there a company that sells them already bent to what we need?  As some of us arn't that good at the bend stuff and isn't there a couple different flares that can be done?  Thought I read something about that in another thread where he couldn't stop it from leaking..

I don't thinkl so. Remove and measure then or the new route. NAPA or other autopart houses usually have pre made lengths of brake line. Just get the same or next longer size with the correct threads and flair ends. Take the old one in. Bending is too easy. Tape the fittings out at the ends so they don't get trapped behind a bend. Use a can of peas or a baseball bat and bend around them. Think ahead and check often. I have a tubing bender for $12 but it was easier to just bend around something.

Right on DM, that makes since.  Myself being a plumber would have no problem with the bends and so on.  Just thought I would throw that in.  Napa huh?  I'll check them out since I want everything to look cherry!  Always coming through with good advise man...