In need of a header for my 620

Kulper620

Hey anyone happen to have a header that will fit my 76 620 pickup, the motor I bought had a header for a 510 on it and it won't clear my torsion bar, willing to trade the header I have for one or if I have to purchase it that is fine as well here is a pic of the one I have and I am located in Washington statenull_zps0ec1ce5b.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps because you should be in the classified section... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/4-engine/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc you're in the engine section. Now if you were asking IF you need a header I would say. NO. Here's why.

Your truck has the exhaust and the intake bolted together. Go check. There is a thin plate sandwiched between them that will fall off or leak air into the intake. Get an early L16/18 intake although the runners are smaller, or a '78-'80 intake that properly fits an L20B and is separate. Best thing is to forget the headeraltogether

Why not to get a header....

A stock exhaust manifold is more than enough for a stock or mildly built motor.. Only when a 'larger' cam, multi carbs, with ported head with larger valves and higher compression is used do you need a better flowing exhaust. Headers are just one of those things that are strictly for racing and do not translate over well for use on the street.

Headers are expensive (for a good one) last about 5 years and should be ceramic coated. If cheap they will be rusty in 3 months, warp, leak exhaust at the head flange, be ill fitting and need a dent to clear something, welds are poor and need yearly maintenance. Even a good expensive one will need at least a day to instal. Probably you will need to remove the left torsion bar and /or the left motor mount and jack the motor up. Good luck removing the stock manifold without braking a stud off, a real possibility.

Stock exhaust manifolds.....

Are usually already on the motor so nothing to do. If replacing with an L16/18 it will at the least fit perfectly.

Last forever and need NO maintenance whatever.

Extremely unlikely to develop a leak.

Are quiet.

L16/18 exhaust manifold. Name one thing other than weight that the header can do that the stock one can't.

hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

Look for this one...L16exhaustman001Large.jpg

• Like 1