How the heck do you get the hinges off of the doors?

sreams

I have a badly worn upper hinge pin on the front passenger door. I just took the door off with hinges attached... and I can't see any obvious way to remove the hinges from the door so that I can replace the pins. Here are images of both sides of the hinge:

hingeoutside.jpg

hingeinside.jpg

So... how?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That pin might be able to be pushed either direction.  Looks like it may go one way but not the other.  Only other way is grinding off the rivet.  I'd suggest a dremel or a regular air whiz wheel.

I would try to remove it like it is.  maybe try a big c clamp and a smaller bolt to push it out?

Unfortunately they are not pins. They're rivets. So one end will have to be grinded off. The part that is easiest to grind off happens to be inside the door, and there isn't a lot of access to it. I've started at the outsides of the rivets with a drill. We'll see how it goes. It looks like there is enough clearance that I can go with bolts once these are removed.

-Scott

I think they are referring to the hinge pin, not the rivets holding the hinge leaf to the door.  HRH's idea of grinding the rivets may be easier than drilling them.

You're probably right. Unfortunately, the hinge pins have no room to come out with the hinge attached to the door.

Grinding the rivets would be difficult because the part of the rivet that would be ideal to grind is deep inside the door.

-S

the ideal side is on the outside.... its a thinner head... they shouldnt be bad to drill tho. they wont be hardened. just start small and drill a pilot thru them then keep jumping up in size, eventually you will get to the point where you will be able to chisle the tops off cause the sides holding them on will be that thin. do you need a replacement hinge? ive got a few sets of doors....