620 pickup, brakes aren't working properly

Kulper620

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

A lot of people on here say that the stock  exhaust manifold is just as good as a header. It sure makes life a lot easier than trying to put that header on and doing modifications. Did you get it with a stock manifold? If the header was not installed there must have been a reason

• Like 1

The header came on the motor which came out of a 510, I did happen to purchase a used stock header but don't have the second piece that bolts up to it so I am searching for one at the moment aswell as looking at the possibility of getting the after market one to work, and yes the oil pan fit perfectly and got her dropped in tonight, thanks

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Good afternoon all ratsuners, so I have finally got my 77 620 king can back in running condition with the new motor and most issues have been fixed, but my brakes are still not working properly!! They have been giving me issues since I bought this truck 8 years ago. What happens is when I'm driving and I press on the pedal to stop it feels as if there is no pedal but once I get the pedal down about half way it suddenly brakes hard but yet still not enough to come close to say locking the tires up and in reverse I have next to no brake period! I have bled the brake system from m/c then all wheels from furthest to closest. I have done this many times just in case I missed some air. I have replaced all wheel cylinders and have no leaks. I have also adjusted all brakes to where they are just barely rubbing on the drums just because I knew they would wear down a bit and be in a good position, when the truck is off I get a decent amount of pressure in my pedal but I feel it could be better, my question being since nothing else seems wrong, is it possible that my power booster is working "too good"?? Everything else in the brake system looks good to go, I just have no pressure in the pedal at all when it runs, it just pushes strait down with way to much ease!!! Any and all answers are appreciated and if I can get this fixed I can get out to the meet in Monroe next weekend

You already have one post on this. I've moved the other and merged it with the one you already have going. Make use of it.

To test power brake operation....

Pump brake several times to vent any stored vacuum.

Press down on brake pedal in a normal manner and hole.

Start engine.

If working properly the pedal should drop toward the floor slightly.

Do you have the leading and trailing shoes on in their proper positions?

Did you bleed the NLSV (Nissan Load Sensing Valve) below the pass side seat on the inside of the frame?

Pedal play? Lightly push the pedal down with your thumb. There should be about 1/16" of free play before you feel the push rod begin to bear against the master cylinder piston.

Have you bench bled the mastercylinder?

When the truck is off the break pedal is quite firm and after I adjusted the rod in the booster out a little bit there is only about an inch of free play before the pedal becomes firm. I have not tried to bleed the load sensing valve so I will try that next, my buddies father is an old school Datsun master tech and helped me put the shoes on a few years back so I assume I have them on correctly, haven't been able to get ahold of him to ask about this problem though, I just don't understand why I would have great pressure with no spongy feeling with the truck not running and then rite when I turn it on it's just non existent, I do understand how when the truck is off it would be harder to push the peddle down but the difference between the two is just massive, now is the larger shoe supposed to be in the front part of the drum or rear side just so when I look I can be sure

To test power brake operation....

Pump brake several times to vent any stored vacuum.

Press down on brake pedal in a normal manner and hole.

Start engine.

If working properly the pedal should drop toward the floor slightly.

Have you bench bled the mastercylinder?

Did you try these two?

There may be air trapped in the master cylinder still.

Back on page one, I posted the order for whch the brakes need to be bled.  There are reasons Nissan has those specific instructions.  If you don't follow the proper proceedure, you may not get all the air out.  I'd suggest trying Mike's recomendation, then going back and bleeding all the brakes as per Nissan's recommendation.