Your First Datsun? What was it? When was it?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 17 y.o.    1978 b210 gx     gave $450 for her  drove the fucking shit outta it  In the end she had no brakes, no dash or switches(just twisted headlight wires together at night) and both doors were duct taped on.  Me being 17 and discovering the ole green sticky was not good for her.  Still ran.  Got stolen.

Still trying to find pics to scan up.  God what a car.

• Like 1

My first Datsun was a 1977 280Z I purchased in 1986.  It was a brown on brown coupe with a 4-spd.  Everything in the car was shot but it was purchased as a project.  I drove it a couple years and then had it painted Porsche royal guardsman red.  8 coats of red with 3 coats of clear coat.  It looked like it had been dipped in it. The car was so bright my white garage door glowed pink from the reflection of the car.  Then it was stolen and never recovered.  Not too big a deal as my insurance claim recouped almost everything I had in the car and the thieves got a car with bond in every body panel, a notch shifter, an engine that burned a quart of oil every 600 miles, a ratty interior and an AM/FM 8-track player.  I actually think they got the worst the deal.  Since them I've owned another 1977 280Z, a 1983 280ZX, a 1993 300ZX convertible and a 1970 240Z.

My first was an '82 280zx t top. It was 1997, my senior year of highschool. It looked great but I hated that it was an automatic and had the gaudy assed red leather interior. It had a few mishaps and blew a head gasket I couldn't afford to fix so I just carried water with me everywhere I went. Then came the buck that was unavoidable, so I ended up getting the 510 I have now. My roommate and I got evicted for being young assholes and I left it. Nearly a decade later I saw my old land Lord had been arrested for VIN number fraud, he did a shitload of work on that bucket but never thought to put a lien on it and make it his legally.

The first Datsun I ever owned was my 74 620, got it a few years ago. A typical hack job done by the PO lead to lots of carb work, lowered it a bit, and drove it around all ratty. Ended up getting down on my luck on it's last breakdown and sold it for $100. Still kicking myself for that one. Now it had been wrecked, and most likely scrapped by the new owner.

My first Datsun was a rust bucket 78' King cab shell my dad gave to me a couple years back. He drove it for about 8 months before he parted it for his 73' and in those 8 months i grew really attached to it and didn't want to see it crushed.

and as of now it still sits... as a shell.... waiting for the cash, space and the skill to build it into the screamer i want! Plans as of now are a Twin Charged, EFI powered L16 I got from Tristin a while back.

Twodoordime-

"I was 14 (11 years ago) roaming eBay. I found 2 510's 400 miles away with bad pictures and body damage. I bought the cars without my fathers permission. We then had to make 2 trips to get the 510's because we didn't have a long enough car hauler. I still own one of those 510's to this day. By 16 I had 3 more 510s of which I have 3 still. They are the 3 keepers. I also knew from very early on I did not want an L series. I have swapped all my driver 510's to ka24's from L series. My favorite 510 has an fj20 but I have never finished it. My father always encouraged working with my hands and welcomed my big dreams of building gorgeous 510's. He never funded them though. I went through other cars while in my teens but always got bored of them.. I had built Hondas, mustangs, a supra, rx7, jeeps, ae86's, and many other cars but I've never been without a 510 to drive. That's my story.

Side note, I don't know how I discovered 510's exactly. My dad didn't know what they were I just saw one when I was 13 and decided to save up and buy one. I was also looking at a 1973 roadrunner with a 4spd when I bought my first 510's. I'm so glad I didn't turn into a mopar or muscle guy."

Nothing is wrong with mopar , if you have the wallet for it, that crap is fun and classy but damn is it expensive.

• Like 1

17    butt ugly 78-9 b210hatch with super sluggish automatic. didn't like it but it worked.sold it....people who bought it drove it from OR to TX and back. 84-88-89 sentras next. 86-85-84-83-82 720's, 78 620kc, 74 620(sold to denmarkboy). NOW have 80 and 83 kc's, 83 std w/flatbed. Would love to have another 83-85 2d sentra sedan.....best huntin' rig ever, deer fits perfectly behind front seats if you remove rear seat!

Picked up my first datsun(s) this spring. I was looking at a roadster about 2 years ago, the deal didn't work out, so I moved on and focused on my other projects I had going on. Skip forward a bit a friend, of a friend was tearing down an old barn where 2 Z's were parked in the late 80's he offered them to me, and I picked up the pair for $500. I have been doing a lot of work to the Gold/brown one which is pretty solid in the important areas some rust to fix, but nothing compared to some other cars I have had. The blue one is best as parts, it has the optional New England  ventilated floors...

2_zps75134428.jpg

4_zps394bce7b.jpg
  • Like 1

16 years old 1981 datsun 720 4x4

June 28th 2011

My dad pointed to it sitting in the back yard. Told me it had a brand new crate engine with only 8 hours and that when I get my license its mine. Got my license and a parts nissan with a junk motor jacked a bunch of parts and scrapped the rest of the truck. Got her running and drove her home from centeal oregon to olympia washington area on 60 bucks. Pretty much sold on it. heres a pic of its life in my ownership so far

IMG_20140809_220351_zpsnjxyqvll.jpg

Well...if you count 1984 Nissan/Datsun......

84 720 5speed long bed. I loved that truck. My father bought it new. I learned to drive in it when I was 14 or 15. I got it Finally when I was 17 (late '97 or early '98). It was Orange and beat to crap and had benches in the back. Man the times I had in that truck.

Lost it AND my '98 Frontier in a big flood in 2010. So sad. It wasn't my daily anymore (I got the Frontier for highschool graduation and now I have a b15 Spec V), but I was keeping it forever. Should have kept it anyway, but we were pretty broke that next winter so......

Been hunting a Datsun for as long as I can remember. Went from wanting a Z, to a truck, to a 510, to anything but a Z (i do still love Z cars and want one. There's just a lot of Z's here and nothing else). Temporarily had a '85 AUTO Zx. Guess why temporarily LoL

Just picked up a 75 b210 this winter. Its currently being motor swapped CA18det

Guess Technically this is my First. Been a long journey to get here.

I'd post pics, but I'm new here and need to track down how LoL :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought mine a little over a month ago for $300 but floors are rusted out and I planned on selling it a week ago cuz it was bought so I can get from a to b but its frown on me and I love it. Its a 1980 datsun 720 4x4 base model with a l20b engine and a 5 speed manual transmission and divorced transfer case. Honestly the best little truck I have... people say it ain't worth fixxin but I am doin a full resto

I was 29 when I bought a new 1978 Datsun 620, with air conditioning, 5 speed, chrome rear bumper, and king cab options. I still own the vehicle today. It has never let me down, not even a flat tire or blown electric fuel pump (it limped home). Had to replace the original clutch at 200,000 miles, and I towed and hauled tons of crap, even pulled out a Chevy 350 pickup out of a ditch that had the bed loaded. Sadly (even though I maintained the vehicle well) it developed a hole in the radiator hose and I did not notice that the engine over heated (warped the head). But after being such a trooper (37 years) I decided to rebuild it. Took out the pistons the other day and it had no ring ridge and still had original honing marks. So I want to rebuild it right, and that's why you see me asking a bunch of stupid questions on the web site.

Thanks for asking.

• Like 1