Blown RL411 engine

Datsun Dude

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wish I could of met you at Jccs I was hanging at the VTO wheels booth with white 2dr , we are about to embark on a CA18det automatic 67 411 in about a month or so for a customer ,other option sr20de na auto , we will post up when get it opened up. Have seen some L18 conversions . Keep pics  coming .

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2018 at 10:44 PM, Datsun Dude said:

A quick update.

• Arrived home OK, but checked the engine.
    • A 17mm bolt that carries a small "ball" at the end of the threads was missing.
    • This is the bolt is one of two bolts holding the main support for the SUs' linkage.
    • Looking for a replacement bolt, though, I can't find one online.
    • If anyone has a part number for this piece, please let me know.
  • More info coming soon.

Got a bolt from a Datsun Roadster U20 engine from Roadster dude, Mike Young. Works perfectly!
Just drove it a couple of hundred miles over the weekend to northern Sonoma. Ran fine, but not that fun to navigate in a traffic jam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 7:29 PM, ppeters914 said:

Can you elaborate how you solved the motor mounts issue since they're unobtainium?

Z Car Garage fabricated some custom motor mounts. I'm not sure what method they used. Sorry about that!

On 9/24/2018 at 8:06 AM, hosestop@msn.com said:

Wish I could of met you at Jccs I was hanging at the VTO wheels booth with white 2dr , we are about to embark on a CA18det automatic 67 411 in about a month or so for a customer ,other option sr20de na auto , we will post up when get it opened up. Have seen some L18 conversions . Keep pics  coming .

Cheers, sorry I missed you. There's always next year, right? Keep us in the loop on your engine swap project. Love to see some pics. I'll try and upload some shots from 2018 soon.

• 1 year later...

Just an update on the SSS. It is still running strong.

I have been dailying the car around the Mission District in San Francisco during these trying times. Lots of smiles and thumbs up. My "Next Door" post about my neighbor dinging my faring got over 350 messages, so my neighbors are loving the car. 

I am not sure I informed the group, but Z Car Garage fabricated a piece for my distributor and now the car runs even stronger and no longer backfires. It's amazing how fast this little car can go.

Since the car is running even better since the JCCS run, I decided to do an even crazier thing: attend the Williams, AZ "Route 66 JDM Classics" show. 2 days there and 2 days back. It was a fun trip. The starter went out on me on the way home, so I just left 'er running at fuel stops. A local Datsun mechanic helped me rebuild the starter. That got me back on the road.

Mechanically, the car is just great! FAST. AND. LOOOOUUUDD!!!!
My next phase are more cosmetic and convenience. Window rattle is now first on the list.

Thanks for your interest in the SSS.

Bring your RL411 to this year's JCCS [presuming it will not be cancelled] and let's investigate that loud remark.  My Loud factor was a rusted out section of the exhaust down pipe.  Not available but easily fabricated replacement section.  My car is still in as close to factory condition as 53 years permit.

4 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Bring your RL411 to this year's JCCS [presuming it will not be cancelled] and let's investigate that loud remark.  My Loud factor was a rusted out section of the exhaust down pipe.  Not available but easily fabricated replacement section.  My car is still in as close to factory condition as 53 years permit.

I have a custom exhaust setup that Neely did. It's very slick. The motor has a "race car" rebuild from Rebello, as well, so there is that. These two factors make it louder than a standard RL411. I have my eye on the manifold and downpipe as there was already repair done in that area. I'll check to see if anything has broken loose or anything, but I'm pretty sure it's the natural state of the car.

I did notice one thing, though. When I am idling on an angle of any sort, the motor tends to run more roughly. Maybe it's the carbs?
Also having trouble finding window felt. I need a kit for all 4 doors. Any leads lately on that?
As far as JCCS, I'll keep my eye on the site. I was there 2 years ago but missed last year's cutoff.
I did drive it all the way to Williams, AZ and back wi/ only a dead starter to show for it....so the unit still has lots of life in it!

Datsun%20RL411.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpnCK

I don't think I've posted pictures of the exhaust system in this thread yet, but this is

@raceneely's handiwork and you can ask him about it. Here's the details he gave me.
He sold me the car with this exhaust package already installed. Very cool!

The exhaust system on this RL411 includes a custom collector flange and down pipe, adding 7 more HP to the car.
With the custom motor build and custom exhaust system, the car should be pushing well north of 100 HP.

411-collector-300.jpg.1379453799794.jpg?

DATSUN SSS 411 R-16 COLLECTOR FLANGE W / 2.00" V-BAND  STAINLESS STEEL

411-merge-300.jpg.1379453788373.jpg?atta

MERGE COLLECTOR FLOWS 75% MORE EFFICIENTLY THAN STOCK, AND PRODUCES 7 MORE HP

411-EXHAUST-GASKET-300.jpg.1379453797245

REPLACEMENT COPPER FLANGE GASKET (ALSO WORKS WITH STOCK SYSTEM)

411-flange-300.jpg.1379453785031.jpg?att

USES A 2" V-BAND STAINLESS CLAMP TO ELIMINATE EXHAUST LEAKS

411-down-pipe-window-300.jpg.13794537913

DOWN PIPE CLEAR SUSPENSION AND IS CONTOURED TO INNER FENDER FOR MAXIMUM CLEARANCE

411-down-pipe-300.jpg.1379453794837.jpg?

DATSUN SSS 411 R-16 EXHAUST DOWN PIPE STAINLESS STEEL (ALLOWS TIRE CLEARANCE FOR LOWERING OF VEHICLE IN MOST APPLICATIONS)

411-exhaust-mount-300.jpg.1379453782046.

UNDER CHASSIS USES ORIGINAL MOUNT LOCATION

411-exhaust-tucked-300.jpg.1379453777694

MUFFLER CLEARANCED FOR LOWERING

411-exhaust-muffler-mount-300.jpg.137945

MUFFLER UTILIZES STOCK MOUNT

Hope you like the setup.

54 minutes ago, Datsun Dude said:

I don't think I've posted pictures of the exhaust system in this thread yet, but this is

@raceneely's handiwork and you can ask him about it. Here's the details he gave me.
He sold me the car with this exhaust package already installed. Very cool!

The exhaust system on this RL411 includes a custom collector flange and down pipe, adding 7 more HP to the car.
With the custom motor build and custom exhaust system, the car should be pushing well north of 100 HP.

Hope you like the setup.

Now that is slicker than....well....you know. 🤣

I saw them yesterday on one computer, but not today on computers or phone. Looking at the source html, images are links to googlegroups, which I'm guessing means images are hosted on Google Photos. Let me test that assumption.....fail.

Guess Datsun Dude needs to fix it. Maybe he can also explain where/how his pics are stored.

Edited by ppeters914
On 5/20/2020 at 6:31 PM, Greaser2 said:

Am I the only one that’s can’t see your pics?

I'll get it fixed. It's up on a Google site I made a long time ago. I'll upload the pix somewhere else. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

Been dailying the 411 since I'm working from home and it's blocking in my Z32 (batt keeps dying! lol). Yesterday, it stalled out backing it out of the driveway. I noticed a blown fuse and badly cracked fuse box. Anyone have a nice fuse box for an R16? I can use a Roadster one, can't I?

• 1 month later...

Z Car Blog Entry: https://www.zcarblog.com/2020/07/03/performance/high-school-sweetheart-kevins-datsun-bluebird-sss.html

The Datsun 411 off Dry Creek Road, Healdburg, CA.

356-068.jpg

Me at the ZONC Show in 2018.

IMG_2475-e1533077653988.jpg

The Rebello built R16.

IMG_2965.jpg

Stinson Beach Overlook

Datsun-RL411.jpg

Check out the article for more pix.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:58 AM, Datsun Dude said:

Been dailying the 411 since I'm working from home and it's blocking in my Z32 (batt keeps dying! lol). Yesterday, it stalled out backing it out of the driveway. I noticed a blown fuse and badly cracked fuse box. Anyone have a nice fuse box for an R16? I can use a Roadster one, can't I?

Got it going again. It had a clogged line or some weirdness in the fuel lines. I little air pressure was applied through the fuel tank and that cleared the debris. I poured 2 gallons of gas on top of that and that was enough. 

Sometimes it's the smalls that get you.

I just drove a hundred miles or more in a rally. No trouble. I drove over a big speed bump way too fast in San Francisco? Car stalls and won't start. Inspecting the engine, I see that one of the clips on the distributor was loose. Clipping it back on, it fired right back up. 

The car is definitely my daily now. My Z hurts a new knee injury in the seating position for some weird reason. 

My current worry/issue is the front end. Starting to hear some metal on metal noises on the front right. I am going to inspect and plan for repairing/upgrading whatever is the issue. I would love this car more if it handled better. I know Mr. Neely has a few tricks. I will search out the link for front end parts. 

Thanks for your interest the the Datsun 411.