Blown RL411 engine

Datsun Dude

BTW, Nissan used to stock a water pump rebuild kit that fit both Roadster and RL411 water pumps.  Just might be still available.  They also stocked the water pump seal as a separate item even though it was included in the rebuild kit.  Only "downside" was that you had to pull the cast iron impeller before you could withdraw the pump shaft to the front of the case.  Unless you proceeded slowly and were gentle there was a 20% or so probablity that you were going to crack the cast impeller!  The 311 roadster and the RL411 water pumps are identical except for the 1 inch difference in length of the inpeller shaft.  That and the "accesory" fan spinner, with the "flat" 311 roadster and the "bell shaped" RL411 spinner.  A gear puller and a hydraulic press solves this problem as long as you can find the correct RL411 bell shaped spinner.  If you crack the cast Iron impeller, any later stamped metal impeller can be pressed on even though it is less than the idel replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Update:

The major missing pieces are now at ZCG.

Raceneely has assisted the RL411 project with the following:

• Reupholstered seats 
  • A functioning water pump
  • A functioning exhaust manifold

IMG_0740.JPG

Looks like I'm sticking with the 4 speed for this stage of the build, unless a cheap 5 speed becomes available and bolts on easily.

Not sure I will be ready for JCCS, but trying.

• Like 2

Hope to see your car at the JCCS!  Let's tear and compare on the restoration!  It's really lonesome when last  there are only 2 411 sedans at the whole show except for the new Nissan USA addition to their collection.  Which had the wrong trunk badge.

Hope I can make it! Didn't realize how few 411s were at the show. Have to figure out if I can drive it there or trailer it.

BTW, not sure how I feel about red on red, though. One cool thing. If I color change to cream white, it'll look just like my high school car!

• 1 month later...

Update:

• A functioning exhaust manifold

Rats! The exhaust manifold arrived with a crack. I believe we are sending it down for magnesium coating as we speak. 

Too bad, I was hoping to get to JCCS and Concours d'Lemons this year. Ah well, there's always next year.

Looks like you're doing quite well on the build.  One of these days we should meet up.  What rear end is in your 411?

It's going on three years in September so it has required a lot of patience. One day the car will be roadworthy once more!! I have no idea about the rear end. I assume whatever the other RL411s are running. I can check if you need more info.

It's going on three years in September so it has required a lot of patience. One day the car will be roadworthy once more!! I have no idea about the rear end. I assume whatever the other RL411s are running. I can check if you need more info.

There were 2 different ratio rear ends.  I believe that this choice is the real factory difference between "SSS" badged and plain jane RL411s.  It's late and I am in no mood to spend time searching the parts manual [which by the way is on this site, so happy hunting] just remember, when you are about to give up, the WRL and RL411 parts are hidden in the very last pert of the manual.

• 5 months later...

Update:

• Rob has located a 5 speed transmission from a Roadster donor. I'm not sure of the exact spec, but I have forwarded him the "5 speed swap" thread already.

Update:

• We've decided against the 5 speed for now and saving the money for other parts.
  • Carbs are on the engine and bay is being prepped: https://spark.adobe.com/post/FoRBa66p53zdM/
  • Existing water pump repaired
  • Exhaust manifold is recoated

Update:

• We've decided against the 5 speed for now and saving the money for other parts.
  • Carbs are on the engine and bay is being prepped: https://spark.adobe.com/post/FoRBa66p53zdM/
  • Existing water pump repaired
  • Exhaust manifold is recoated

Nissan did [and still may] list and stock a water pump repair kit that successfully rebuilds the RL411 and 311 roadster water pumps.  The only trick is to pull the original cast iron impeller without it breaking.  The water pump guts withdraw to the front after pulling the wire retainer [on the original pumps], replacement water pumps do not have the wire shaft retainer.!  Nissan also separately listed the shaft seal [which is in the repair kit.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

• Engine has fired!

Update: Two steps forward, 1 step back

• Engine fired but didn't run well. 
  • Water pump didn't hold water

Action: parts being sent out for refurbishment

• Water pump
  • Carbs
  • Brake calipers
  • Like 1

Update: Two steps forward, 1 step back

• Engine fired but didn't run well. 
  • Water pump didn't hold water

Action: parts being sent out for refurbishment

• Water pump
  • Carbs
  • Brake calipers

If the water pump refurb doesn't work, you can always find a 311 roadster water pump and do a transplant on the fan "spinner" which will leave a one inch shaft protrusion once you have successfully  pulled the roadster fan hub and pressed on the RL411 fan hub.  Better  have good engine mounts!  The clearance to the radiator is scary, but good engine mounts will overcome the fright.  I have been running a modified roadster water pump "since Christ was a Corporal."  With a total North American production run of a little over 4400 RL411, and a few more WRL411, vehicles it was not economical for production of proper replacement water pumps, not like the roadsters.

• Like 1

If the water pump refurb doesn't work, you can always find a 311 roadster water pump and do a transplant on the fan "spinner" which will leave a one inch shaft protrusion once you have successfully  pulled the roadster fan hub and pressed on the RL411 fan hub.  Better  have good engine mounts!  The clearance to the radiator is scary, but good engine mounts will overcome the fright.  I have been running a modified roadster water pump "since Christ was a Corporal."  With a total North American production run of a little over 4400 RL411, and a few more WRL411, vehicles it was not economical for production of proper replacement water pumps, not like the roadsters.

Thanks, man. I think we solved the motor mounts issue, so it's a viable option. I'll keep it in mind.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

You'll never believe this. An original NOS water pump was found while ZCG was sourcing other Datsun parts. It had been sitting on the shelf for 38 years. Might be the last one in the world! LOL. Not sure what the price tag was, but I'll soon find out.  :geek:

Project rapidly coming to a completion due to the water pump being a perfect fit. For a couple of days, the engine has been running, the clutch is working, and the brakes are restored and functioning.

Today, sound deadening and carpet going in, then the reupholstered seats. Test run will be this afternoon should all go as planned. This Bluebird should be singing again soon.

Cheers!

• Like 1