carbed, non computer controlled KA24DE!

kks_john

here it is: carbed, single points KA24DE. and it runs.

the amazing part is that the distributor that fires the thing is pictured here:

IMG_2502.jpg

more pics of the distributor: http://www.piratesofslide.com/411/

first fire. starting fluid.

http://www.piratesofslide.com/411/datsun1.wmv

second fire. gas.

http://www.piratesofslide.com/411/datsun2.wmv

best fire. gas.

http://www.piratesofslide.com/411/datsun3.wmv

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you need a truck style intake for this particular setup to work. Were making adapters just for four barrels right now. Preferably we would recommend a Holley 390 carb., its a much more tunable carb than the weber. peace.

Why in the hell would you ditch EFI for a carb!?

...especially on the KA24DE, which has probably the most simple/user friendly, EFI system?

I dont get it!

For me it was a look/sound/feel/power thing. I just think 44mm Mikuni's are way cooler than the stock injection...

Why in the hell would you ditch EFI for a carb!?

...especially on the KA24DE, which has probably the most simple/user friendly, EFI system?

I dont get it!

I ask the minitruckers this all the time, and they always reply "it looks cleaner and its simpler." Trust me and John both are the biggest EFI lovers you will ever meet. The thing with this project was to be unique and test an idea we've had for a long time. Especially with this truck style intake, if youve ever seen one you will no what I am talking about. Anyway, come up and visit us sometime. peace.

I think we are going to be making a kit for this. I have to talk to nismopu, but my ideas for the kit is to include a modified dizzy and the adapter for the intake.

we might include the manifold as well, since there are some holes to plug in it.

I did all the work on the dizzy except the mounting flange slots. kyle did those.

the biggest cost is the material for this... and the fact that you have to sacrifice a kaDE distributor for the drive gear.

As for the reason for doing this? no hassle with an ECU, cleaner, and I have never seen it done before. especially in a 411.

So you do it for the look of carbs, uniqueness, and that distinctive sound of "suction". Thats cool, fair enough. Show some pics of the whole setup so we can all see how cool it looks.

Are you going with short runners from the carbs to the ports? The stock KA ones are so long, that whole motor was deisgned around making low-end torque. If you open up the induction for higher RPM performance, you might want to do some cam swapping to take advantage of it, otherwise it might not make a lick of difference.

This week I will be putting an S13 KA exhaust cam in my S14 KA as an intake cam. I read it changes the power band quite noticeably.

Imagine it, a KA with top end power.....

I, for one, am never owning a carb'd vehicle again in my life. Had some bad experiences

The truck manifolds are entirely different than the cars style intake. Long as you have a truck style intake this system will work for any KA. The dizzy will require a L-series style oil pump drive for the single cam KA. We haven't seen if maybe you could make an adapter for the points guts to work inside a SOHC dizzy. Or even possibly the other way around, well see soon. peace.

the overal cost of the conversion dizzy is a big factor. if possible, i think you should try to keep the cost lower than what it would cost to run a megajolt jr. otherwise what would prevent someone from using a superior ignition set up and cheaper to boot.

as far as carb vs. efi deal, how many efi ka24de or e swaps have been done with the stock looking efi set up. the carb set up offers a lot of uniqueness and more important is the cool sucking woosh sound you get when you drop the hammer on some webers.

If I sold a dizzy for 200 bucks that bolted right into the stock location and ran a carbed KA; people would buy it simply because its just that. SIMPLE! lol! Megajolt is a great system but its far from easy to the average person and therefore detracting. peace.

So you do it for the look of carbs, uniqueness, and that distinctive sound of "suction". Thats cool, fair enough. Show some pics of the whole setup so we can all see how cool it looks.

Are you going with short runners from the carbs to the ports? The stock KA ones are so long, that whole motor was deisgned around making low-end torque. If you open up the induction for higher RPM performance, you might want to do some cam swapping to take advantage of it, otherwise it might not make a lick of difference.

This week I will be putting an S13 KA exhaust cam in my S14 KA as an intake cam. I read it changes the power band quite noticeably.

Imagine it, a KA with top end power.....

I, for one, am never owning a carb'd vehicle again in my life. Had some bad experiences

Here are some pics. Granted, the engine is not in the car yet, but I think it looks pretty damn cool, but I guess I'm a bit biased.

IMGP1873.jpg

Here are some pics. Granted, the engine is not in the car yet, but I think it looks pretty damn cool, but I guess I'm a bit biased.

IMGP1873.jpg

:eek::drool: that is a work of art i would love to have that to drop in my 610 though i have a question where is the thermostat housing anyway major props bro that ka is a thing of beauty

:eek::drool: that is a work of art i would love to have that to drop in my 610 though i have a question where is the thermostat housing anyway major props bro that ka is a thing of beauty

That engine looks awesome. I like it. I want to see how it looks under the hood of a 610 as well. I thought more about an LZ22 swap after the L20B kicks the curb, but this engine is even more enticing. Up the ante!

• 2 weeks later...