Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember Kennedy and Eisenhower riding a gun carriage pulled by horses through Washington. Kennedy also had a riderless horse in attendance. I remember the horse was very difficult to handle and refused to cooperate.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I remember Kennedy and Eisenhower riding a gun carriage pulled by horses through Washington. Kennedy also had a riderless horse in attendance. I remember the horse was very difficult to handle and refused to cooperate.

Eisenhower?

How old are you?

• Like 1

I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Sputnik, the Andria Doria sinking and the Suez Crisis. Before that I remember being in Hurricane Hazel when the lights went out. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Sputnik, the Andria Doria sinking and the Suez Crisis. Before that I remember being in Hurricane Hazel when the lights went out. 

Me too, we’ll, except for the hurricane.

I did have an great aunt Hazel, in Arnold, Nebraska. She had a wringer washing machine for the laundry, and a two hole outhouse in the garden. The only indoor plumbing was a hand pump in the kitchen. If you wanted hot water you had to build a fire in the stove, draw water from the pump into a kettle, and heat it up.

I was in kindergarten the day Kennedy was shot. Someone came into the classroom and whispered something to the teacher, then they sent everyone home for the day.

Had to look it up... October 1954. Hazel was expected to dissipate but suddenly strengthened as it entered up into lower Ontario. (VERY rare) I remember we all moved down stairs with blankets into the living room of our large brick house on a dairy farm. You could hear the wind outside. Power was long out and we had only candles. The next morning was sunny with clouds and very windy. There was a large maple  tree blown down on our lawn and power was out for several days. We cooked outside.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Had to look it up... October 1954. Hazel was expected to dissipate but suddenly strengthened as it entered up into lower Ontario. (VERY rare) I remember we all moved down stairs with blankets into the living room of our large brick house on a dairy farm. You could hear the wind outside. Power was long out and we had only candles. The next morning was sunny with clouds and very windy. There was a large maple  tree blown down on our lawn and power was out for several days. We cooked outside.

1954. Dayum, you are old!

On 6/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, datzenmike said:

Damn, I was around for most of that.  The exceptions are the Andrea Doria and the hurricane...

I remember being just a kid and being very afraid we were gonna get nuked by Russia via Cuba.  

Another one was the Chappaquidick incident.  That was the biggest bullshit story ever by a politician, and he somehow got away with it.

Edited by Duncan
On 6/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, angliagt said:

Saw this in Sprinfield,Illinois.

001.JPG

006.JPG

I saw the thing featured on (maybe) American Pickers.  I think it was a very old and large motorcycle club that carries their deceased members to their final resting place.  Kinda cool, really..

• Like 1
On 6/29/2022 at 3:07 PM, datzenmike said:

You need to play the car traveling game -

"I'm so old,I remember....."

• Haha 1

... steam locomotives were still in use. Brother and I would walk down to the wooden bridge to the lower acreage. We'd wave at the engineer and he's blow the whistle. Or jack the throttle on full for a few seconds just as he passed underneath and the steam and smoke would blow up through the cracks between the timbers. Then we'd climb down and hunt for the pennies we had put on the track.

• Like 2