Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, datzenmike said:

Maybe.... check the brakes over every 5 years.

Our '97 Econoline work van got a flat. I pulled over and got the tire off to find one side of the rotor gone, just the vent ribs showing. The pad material was long gone and the metal backing plate was doing the job. I swear it never made a sound, never pulled to one side, there were zero symptoms. If not for the flat tire we would have never known. The guy at the shop tried to gently give me shit about it. I explained there was nothing out of the ordinary about the brakes and no reason to look or have it checked or we would have. (naturally we drive it till something fucks up then get it fixed, not much preventive maintenance back then)

I had a similar thing happen on nan F350 

only symptom was a clicking sound when backing up

the inner rear rotor was worn razer thin and had a dime sized piece missing causing the clicking when backing up 

you could see the cooling fins through the metal at was so razor thin 

CRAZY never seen anything like it 

It cost over $700 for new calipers/pads and rotors. I figured the brakes would hit the wear indicators or make noise when they needed changing. At the least it would pull or vibrate or something, but nothing. I can't believe how well it ran but how bad it looked.

Talk about rotors and not checking them made me think of the other type of rotor on a vehicle: distributor rotor. I was at pick n pull yesterday, there was an '85 4x4 720. Decided to look at some stuff. I should have taken pictures of the cap and rotor. This thing was so worn away I'm sure it ran like shit. Most the vehicles there are there for a reason. Either accident or people not taking care of their cars. Or they are straight up shitty engineering in the first place. Or a combination. 

On 8/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, BrothersGarage said:

236536373_10221771537410614_823763984034

There was a Mustang parked at 7/11 nearly half way into another spot on drivers side. I rolled in driving the Patrol and as a experienced forklift driver parked about 2 inches away from drivers door of the Mustang. I was still in my parking spot. Went inside and started looking at the newspaper killing time and profiling who would be the driver. First 3 people out the door went to different cars so I grabbed some beer. When getting close to the counter a lady walked out the door and saw what happened. She snapped around looking in the store with a total bitchy look on her face. She was shooting laser eyes at me while getting into my rig. The beauty of the Patrol is a push button start. I had to prolong her anger so I didn't turn the key on and cranked the engine several times just to fuck with her. I wonder if she ever pared like a dumb fuck again?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, ratpatrol66 said:

There was a Mustang parked at 7/11 nearly half way into another spot on drivers side. I rolled in driving the Patrol and as a experienced forklift driver parked about 2 inches away from drivers door of the Mustang. I was still in my parking spot. Went inside and started looking at the newspaper killing time and profiling who would be the driver. First 3 people out the door went to different cars so I grabbed some beer. When getting close to the counter a lady walked out the door and saw what happened. She snapped around looking in the store with a total bitchy look on her face. She was shooting laser eyes at me while getting into my rig. The beauty of the Patrol is a push button start. I had to prolong her anger so I didn't turn the key on and cranked the engine several times just to fuck with her. I wonder if she ever pared like a dumb fuck again?

I hate fucktards like that, who think they can park however they feel like. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, A guy named Rick said:

I hate fucktards like that, who think they can park however they feel like. 

People who think they have bad ass cars trying to protect them by double parking? Fucking cunts! I need to get the Patrol out and go hunting for shittie parkers.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:25 PM, colourbox said:

C775C199-08B9-45BE-B91E-4E92E2FCE860.jpeg

Sadly this is no joke. My folks are hoarders. They have a VW thing they bought new in 1973. My Dad won't give it up, says he is going to restore it someday he is 80, it will never happen. I am a VW guy, took a 68 beetle down to the last bolt and restored it, drove my folks around in it. Will they let me restore it so they can drive in the years they have left. Nope! Find the Thing in this picture.

20210304_145807.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I met an MG owner about a block from our house about 6 years ago.

He loved to buy stuff off of eBay.There were cardboard boxes EVERYWHERE

in his garage.

I offered to help him recycle them.I broke down & cut up almost every

last one of them.I filled the bed of my Dodge Dakota 4WD to the top.

He passed away about a year later.I was told by a neighbor that there

were still a lot of undelivered boxes at the post office.

He was a retired Machinist,& had one of those really cool old wooden

tool boxes.I was interested in buying a lot of the MG stuff,but his kids came

& hauled it all back to the LA area before I had a chance.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Ooph! said:

Would they get truly angry if you did pull it out and got it running?

Well I did the brakes about ten years ago, it didn't run. I rebuilt the carb about 4 years ago. It hasn't seen gas in 15. He still registers it every year. My Dad just asks me to do something and he will get started on the other stuff. I fix what he wants but nothing else happens. Really needs a full body off pan restoration which won't happen until I drag it from Florida to my shop in Maine. I have enough projects and there is a whole pile of other things that need more attention at their house. Funny thing is they are in a fancy neighborhood, people just have no idea what the inside looks like downstairs. They are good folks but the hoarding is extreme and some kind of illness. I know I inherited the tendency but fight it and several times a year I make the garbage men really earn their keep. My places get a good purge twice a year.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bottomwatcher said:

Well I did the brakes about ten years ago, it didn't run. I rebuilt the carb about 4 years ago. It hasn't seen gas in 15. He still registers it every year. My Dad just asks me to do something and he will get started on the other stuff. I fix what he wants but nothing else happens. Really needs a full body off pan restoration which won't happen until I drag it from Florida to my shop in Maine. I have enough projects and there is a whole pile of other things that need more attention at their house. Funny thing is they are in a fancy neighborhood, people just have no idea what the inside looks like downstairs. They are good folks but the hoarding is extreme and some kind of illness. I know I inherited the tendency but fight it and several times a year I make the garbage men really earn their keep. My places get a good purge twice a year.

the good thing is 

it is being hoarded inside 

stored in a safe dry place

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

the good thing is 

it is being hoarded inside 

stored in a safe dry place

Yes, as opposed to...  😄

On 8/15/2021 at 8:25 PM, colourbox said:

C775C199-08B9-45BE-B91E-4E92E2FCE860.jpeg

The guy I got my Galaxie from had dozens of old cars, mostly vintage Thunderbirds. He was in his sixties but convinced he was going to get to them "some day". Only sold the Galaxie because it was wrecked and he thought the frame was damaged (it isn't), and he actually tried to sell me a vintage Mercedes he had because he was scared of what the parts would cost to restore it. Like that was ever going to happen...  😋

35299868_10212157499039071_8699739704414699520_n.jpg.7a3fd79438bdb57f866f30a1fbabd176.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 4

The past week I've been cleaning shit out. Co-joined '75-'77 L20B manifolds and down pipe, '89 240sx KA24E block, crank and starter is separate and will go on the pile when I find it, 4 air filter housings, long bed truck cap... lots of small parts, it's endless. It's dreams that keeps us going. Without them what do you have? It may not be your dream but it's important. It's not that you will never get to it, it's that you intend to 'some day'. It extends the future. Some of this stuff I'll never need and I'm keeping the best parts but one should sort through their shit and discard the crap. Christ I just found a dozen koyo? 5 3/4" headlamps. So far at least, a heaping 1/2 ton truck load. I have a Z22 block bored to 89mm in here somewhere...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The past week I've been cleaning shit out. Co-joined '75-'77 L20B manifolds and down pipe, '89 240sx KA24E block, crank and starter is separate and will go on the pile when I find it, 4 air filter housings, long bed truck cap... lots of small parts, it's endless. It's dreams that keeps us going. Without them what do you have? It may not be your dream but it's important. It's not that you will never get to it, it's that you intend to 'some day'. It extends the future. Some of this stuff I'll never need and I'm keeping the best parts but one should sort through their shit and discard the crap. Christ I just found a dozen koyo? 5 3/4" headlamps. So far at least, a heaping 1/2 ton truck load. I have a Z22 block bored to 89mm in here somewhere...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1