Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a T handle for my Dart and tried and tried to make it work and couldn't understand why Hurst had it's name on it. It looked like a good idea but in practice it's heavy and clunky and your wrist had to articulate to use it because your hand was essentially fused to it by the grip. I went back to the faux wood grain ball. This is how hands were designed to grip the end of a shifter. (or stick) Ball and socket. Your hand comfortably fits the ball no matter what position the shifter is in. Still true today.

It also got much too hot to touch if parked in the sun. SMH

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, datzenmike said:

I bought a T handle for my Dart and tried and tried to make it work and couldn't understand why Hurst had it's name on it. It looked like a good idea but in practice it's heavy and clunky and your wrist had to articulate to use it because your hand was essentially fused to it by the grip. I went back to the faux wood grain ball. This is how hands were designed to grip the end of a shifter. (or stick) Ball and socket. Your hand comfortably fits the ball no matter what position the shifter is in. Still true today.

It also got much too hot to touch if parked in the sun. SMH

I have a 73 Pontiac Formula 4spd with a Hurst t-handle on it and I love it! It's so much fun rowing the gears in that car T-handle and all.  So I respectfully disagree about T-handle shifters.

Edited by ratpatrol66

I've driven a few Muncies and really liked the shifting. The 'hemi hardened' Dodge A 833 was difficult to power shift, or mine was. The T handle just didn't help. Had it on for months and one day I found the old ball under the seat and put it on. Never went back. Gave the T handle away. It was $11 new. A lot in 1970.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:56 PM, datzenmike said:

I've driven a few Muncies and really liked the shifting. The 'hemi hardened' Dodge A 833 was difficult to power shift, or mine was. The T handle just didn't help. Had it on for months and one day I found the old ball under the seat and put it on. Never went back. Gave the T handle away. It was $11 new. A lot in 1970.

Did you ever get to drive a 4spd with a pistol grip? I only ever sat in a pistol gripped car, always thought it was gimmicky but it felt nice.  

Edited by ratpatrol66
cause i can't spell!!!

Yeah it was a Roadrunner. I think a '70 also. Drove it once but didn't get attached to it. That's the thing with gimmicks they look like a good idea but often not so great in practice. Would you make a pistol grip base ball???? for better grip?? I found the ball more comfortable and your hand fit around it like a ball joint.

• Like 1

Ok all this talk about T-handles and ball grips and pistol grips, mixed with the following is starting to sound weird

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Would you make a pistol grip base ball???? for better grip?? I found the ball more comfortable and your hand fit around it like a ball joint.