17" titans on a frontier issue (help)

Hi all.

I have te 17" Nissan Titan rims. I am trying to make it work on a 1998 Nissan frontier 2.4L 2wd. They went on the rear o.k. The front has too large of hubs to allow it. So is there a smaller hub option or machine out the center hole is only option? Then my caps are useless. Thanks for the input.

Radio

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have firsthand experience with your problem, but since no one else has suggested a solution...   If the problem is the same as on the older trucks, then I believe you only need to rabbet (machine) about 1/2" x 1/2" (~ 12.5mm x 12.5mm) from the inside of the wheel bore.  Will this still prevent you from using the caps?  Nobody machines the bore all the way through the face of the wheels.  Or, take off your hubs and have them turned down so that any wheels will fit.

• 2 months later...

$0.00.... did it at my buddies shop on his large lathe.

I've heard a brake lathe can be used as well but I've never used one of them, so I couldn't say for sure. 

This can easily be done in one day if you have everything you need before hand. Removal & disassembly of the hubs is the easiest part. Once the brakes are removed its just a cotter pin & castle nut that needs to be removed to pull the hub off.

I removed the rotors, rear seal, bearings, races & pressed the wheel studs out. On reassembly I used all new seals, bearings & races & pressed the old studs back in.

The most "difficult part" was turning the rotors only because its slow & tedious because of the amount of material removed, but by no means hard.     

mklotz70 is in your neck of the woods. I would contact him for the machining. 

• 1 month later...