73' 620 L16-gets 18 mpg?

Fuelrags

205/50 ?? wow...

with a 15" wheel, 205/70/15 is factory tire size. If you calculated 18mpg based on your odometer then you're probably only getting 16mpg. You're way off.

Keep your wheels and slap a 4.11 diff in there from a 1979 truck. That'll get you closer to stock gearing.

Thanks Bleach!....You're right! I use 2.3 gals just to go 33 miles!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a much lower rear end and some stock (or taller and narrower) tires. Run at close to max pressure and don't carry any 'junk in the trunk' if you know what I mean.

Driving habits are a big factor in gas mileage but if your truck weighs 2 tons you will never get 30 average on the highway, stop and go city will be even worse. Each time you use gas to get up to speed you loose it all when you brake for the next light. The lighter you are the better the mileage. Try to anticipate the light and start to slow further back so you can 'catch the green'. Plan a route that avoids stop and go and too many stop signs even if you have to drive a little further. Remember, you have invested gas to get up to speed, so try to stretch it out and avoid sudden breaking.

My 620 weighs 3,600 with me in it. Thats like a 620 with 1,000 lbs in the back! Over drive 5 spd., 4.11 differential and 33 X 12.5 tires. I have a Z24 in it now but no MPG figures yet, but the L20B gave 23 highway, 27 with the 4.375s so I've bottomed out with the gears. Maybe the L20B was in a better RPM range for the highway with 4.375s??? (my diff blew and all I had were the 4.11s) The 4.375s did give better mileage though.

The larger stroke Z24 can better use the 4.11 I think. We'll see.

Get a much lower rear end and some stock (or taller and narrower) tires. Run at close to max pressure and don't carry any 'junk in the trunk' if you know what I mean.

Driving habits are a big factor in gas mileage but if your truck weighs 2 tons you will never get 30 average on the highway, stop and go city will be even worse. Each time you use gas to get up to speed you loose it all when you brake for the next light. The lighter you are the better the mileage. Try to anticipate the light and start to slow further back so you can 'catch the green'. Plan a route that avoids stop and go and too many stop signs even if you have to drive a little further. Remember, you have invested gas to get up to speed, so try to stretch it out and avoid sudden breaking.

My 620 weighs 3,600 with me in it. Thats like a 620 with 1,000 lbs in the back! Over drive 5 spd., 4.11 differential and 33 X 12.5 tires. I have a Z24 in it now but no MPG figures yet, but the L20B gave 23 highway, 27 with the 4.375s so I've bottomed out with the gears. Maybe the L20B was in a better RPM range for the highway with 4.375s??? (my diff blew and all I had were the 4.11s) The 4.375s did give better mileage though.

The larger stroke Z24 can better use the 4.11 I think. We'll see.

Thank DatzenMike, I was just going for the 'look' without antisipating the Mileage problem.

Take out the spare tire if your drive is mostly local.

That's at least 30-40lbs

And get AAA 24 hour road side assistance, gives you peace of mind.

One of the better $70 I spend every year.

Gives me 4 calls/year with up to 100 mile towing each time.

And you can use this to help out your buddies too.

Your insurance probably has road side assistance already but not as good as AAA coverage.

Don't run out of gas, some insurance company has change their policy.

Even though you legitimately ran out of gas as oppose to intentionally ran out of gas.

Some a$$&&& decided to amend the coverage cause of this.

I had a 620 with an L18, jetted down Weber, tall 280ZX 5-speed, 4.11 diff, and 205/6015

The gearing was a bit too tall. I never did get a milage reading before it was stolen.

With the same engine but 4.375 and a regular truck 5-speed I was averaging 27/28 mpg. That engine ran so good

Take out the spare tire if your drive is mostly local.

That's at least 30-40lbs

And get AAA 24 hour road side assistance, gives you peace of mind.

One of the better $70 I spend every year.

Gives me 4 calls/year with up to 100 mile towing each time.

And you can use this to help out your buddies too.

Your insurance probably has road side assistance already but not as good as AAA coverage.

Don't run out of gas, some insurance company has change their policy.

Even though you legitimately ran out of gas as oppose to intentionally ran out of gas.

Some a$$&&& decided to amend the coverage cause of this.

Thanks Bud, I got AAA...I'm gonna stop whinning about the MPG and just enjoy the look!:cool:

Hold it there "Batman"................Ol Yeller runs from Chino to Hawthorne and back 4 days a week (60 fwy, 605 fwy, 105 fwy) and this OLD granpa drives in the FAST lane or next to Fast lane ALWAYS, and I get a very solid 32/33 MPG weekly..(L16, Hitachi, 4 speed, '89 Nissan rear end gears, 2" Exhaust.) and that is DAILY....so it is not only "possible" to get good mileage at 70 MPH, I am tellin you it is real world...AND that is the Darn STOP and GO of those Freeways at 2:00-3:00 p.m.(goin in in the mornin at 5 a.m. is a "breeze" tho....) Right Jason? (Datsun Dreamer can tell ya bout that commute...Huh?)

Fuelrags....This is a positively true staement:)! I've seen Ron in Rush Hour traffic and hes never in the slow lane:cool: Even when traffic is flowing 65+ Ron is still in the Fast Lane passing newer cars on by:)! I think It has all to do or majority at least with Gearing:D! I have 3:70's as well with a 4/speed and 1 3/4 exhaust with a 18" Glasspack and I always travel 65+ and still get 24-25+ MPG and my commute is 130+ miles round trip:cool:

Fuelrags....This is a positively true staement:)! I've seen Ron in Rush Hour traffic and hes never in the slow lane:cool: Even when traffic is flowing 65+ Ron is still in the Fast Lane passing newer cars on by:)! I think It has all to do or majority at least with Gearing:D! I have 3:70's as well with a 4/speed and 1 3/4 exhaust with a 18" Glasspack and I always travel 65+ and still get 24-25+ MPG and my commute is 130+ miles round trip:cool:

Well I decided on pulling the Motor Out and having it Rebuilt, My #4 Plug keeps getting Oil fouled and I'm going thru a quart of Oil every 100 miles even with "NO SMOKE" additives. Any quick,cheap up grades I can have done while it's apart???

Well I decided on pulling the Motor Out and having it Rebuilt, My #4 Plug keeps getting Oil fouled and I'm going thru a quart of Oil every 100 miles even with "NO SMOKE" additives. Any quick,cheap up grades I can have done while it's apart???

Martin,

Found this topic doing some research and I thought I would chime in. Your tire size on right now is only 1/2 inch shorter than stock; you should notice little to no difference in efficency as a result. Those big-assed, heavy steel wheels could be decreasing your mileage. You might also try tracking down a taller geared diff and/or five speed to gain an overdrive during your overhaul.

Martin,

Found this topic doing some research and I thought I would chime in. Your tire size on right now is only 1/2 inch shorter than stock; you should notice little to no difference in efficency as a result. Those big-assed, heavy steel wheels could be decreasing your mileage. You might also try tracking down a taller geared diff and/or five speed to gain an overdrive during your overhaul.

Thanks for the info Sick Drift, I'm looking for a 5 spd 200SX Tranny,but not having any luck,I found one, but the guy wants $250.00?????