Are PL510 pedal boxes for auto and manual trans different?

Bandit

I have been reading that I should be able to bolt the clutch pedal into the automatic trans pedal assembly but the bolt hole was there and I had no problems until I put the brake pedal in and realized its WAY to close to the accelerator.

I had also heard that there was an extra set of bolts to move the gas pedal over but I couldnt seem to find any extra bolt holes.

Im just wondering if there is a difference in the pedal assembly box that would space it better (doesnt seem like it would because it still needs to line up for the master cylinders).

If not I guess I will just have to head the pedal up and bend it into place.....

Heres a picture of how it currently sits in the 510.

20130901_185122_zps96c25e30.jpg

On a side note, I hope this is in the right section  :blush:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it, the pedal arm (metal pivot thingy that the gas pedal pushed against) is different shape from auto to manual, but the auto one can be bent to work. The gas pedal is supposed to be the same, but there are different dimples in the floor to show where to drill new holes for the manual pedal location. I think what holds the bottom of the pedal are sheet metal screws, not bolts. The heads on mine are rusted away to the point I can't tell what they were originally. I'm going to have to grind them off to remove the pedal. I've been driving my 510 with the too-close gas pedal for awhile now. It looks just like your pic. It isn't something I'm getting used to, so I plan to move the gas pedal over. It is on my long list of things to do to the 510.

Len

The metal arm is on the very right of the pedal so if I move it over the pedal over it should still touch the metal arm and give me the space I need.
I will take a look tomorrow for the dimples and if I cant find any I guess I will just have to drill into floor without the markings  :o

I thought about trying it out but after peoples thoughts on the ratsun FB page and me looking at it better today I decided that it really wasnt the safest option lol.

Also thanks to whoever changed the title  :thumbup:

this is like degavue

some one else on here had the same issue the plastic pedal that mounts to the floor has 2 locations auto and manuel

also the gas pedal is bent different you should be able to bent yours more to the right to fix your problem 

I have a '71.  All I had to do was swap out the brake pedal and add the clutch pedal.  But,  the auto pedal box did not have the clutch pedal return spring arm welded above the clutch pedal, so I had to cut one off the manual box and weld it to my auto box.  Oh, and the pedal bump stop.

285.jpg[/u]

286.jpg

The manual pedals will fit into an auto pedal box. Looks like you have it installed properly. As mentioned above, some of the pedal boxes did not come with the arm for the clutch return spring.

The accelerator arms are different from auto to manual. You need to find one from a manual. It will move the gas pedal over to the right some.

The plastic pedal that mounts to the floor can also be moved to the right. If you look at the floor, you will find another set of dimples where holes can be drilled to relocate the pedal to the right.

One of the members here, Carter, has pics of all this stuff documenting it.

Here they are.

Manual and auto accelerator Arms

159datsun_510_gas_pedal_linkage.JPG

This picture shows two bolt holes for the throttle stop. you can move the bolt to the right for the manual pedal. (upper part of picture on the firewall)

159datsun_510_gas_pedal_location.JPG

Auto gas pedal installed

159datsun_510_auto_gas_pedal.JPG

Manual gas pedal installed.

159datsun_510_manual_gas_pedal.JPG

• Thanks 1

Since my brake pedal seems to work better, there must be a difference between some years.  Mine came from a '69.  What year are yours from?

If you don't have a throttle pedal, it looks like from your picture, that you could just heat the brake pedal up at the bend and straighten it out a bit...

Well crap haha, I really dont want to source a manual pedal so I will probably just bend the auto one.
I did run up to my car today but forgot to bring a drill for the actual pedal so didnt accomplish anything lol.

I move the pedal over an inch and it still pushed down on the metal but properly and gave me a decent amount of space but probably still not enough.

20130910_125206_zpsd1d7bbf5.jpg

20130910_125220_zps2e48005c.jpg

This is where is was sitting underneath the carpet so ill see if I can move it further and bend the meal bit a bit more to get some more clearance.
20130910_125418_zps2b366fba.jpg

Mines a 70 and had a 3 speed column shift. (which was a PITA to remove -.-)

Eh, mine was a column shift... no probs other than using a cut-off wheel on the aluminum clamp around the column...  saved time and effort.  I just had to remove the plastic column cover, nothing else.  Steering wheel stayed on and all...

Unless you can find a brake pedal for $20 shipped, I'd just bend the one you have and leave the throttle alone...

Although, with some round stock, cutting and welding, that throttle lever wouldn't be difficult to modify into the manual lever.