No Spark on l18.

thumper

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that.

Well the drive spindle may have fallen out if the oil pump was removed and forgot to put back?? Seems unlikely.

The worm gear on the crank has sheared off the woodruf key that locks it on. Also unlikely as there isn't much load on it to begin with.

The spindle gear can't really come loose... it's heated and pressed on. I took one off once wasn't easy.

Only way it could be any of the above is if someone had this apart and fucked up putting it back together.

Lift the dizzy out and see if the drive spindle is there. if it is, is it turning???

So, lets see:

"Went to drive it the next time and it was making a screeching sound."

"Rotor doesn't turn"

So, if the rotor is siezed and doesn't turn with the engine OR freely turn by spinning it, I'd say the screeching noise was the distributor siezing up.  Then the shaft broke or sheared off the key on the spindle worm gear.

Your next step is to remove the distributor.  You'll probably have to replace it anyway.

I see that.

Well the drive spindle may have fallen out if the oil pump was removed and forgot to put back?? Seems unlikely.

The worm gear on the crank has sheared off the woodruf key that locks it on. Also unlikely as there isn't much load on it to begin with.

The spindle gear can't really come loose... it's heated and pressed on. I took one off once wasn't easy.

Only way it could be any of the above is if someone had this apart and fucked up putting it back together.

Lift the dizzy out and see if the drive spindle is there. if it is, is it turning???

It was not taken apart since I got it. Which is about 2 years. So that is not possible. 

I am going to take the dizzy out when I get home. Glad it is not raining here today. 

this is a simple FIX

However might be another 510 up for sale soon

Nah, I won't sell it . 

So, lets see:

"Went to drive it the next time and it was making a screeching sound."

"Rotor doesn't turn"

So, if the rotor is siezed and doesn't turn with the engine OR freely turn by spinning it, I'd say the screeching noise was the distributor siezing up.  Then the shaft broke or sheared off the key on the spindle worm gear.

Your next step is to remove the distributor.  You'll probably have to replace it anyway.

I was thinking this. I am going to pull the dizzy when I get home and see what is happening with it. 

Thanks

I got a question. What would cause the oil pump shaft to break. Would it be the dizzy that seized or the oil pump that is binding. Or is this just a common problem. 

Below are some pics. When I removed the broken piece. I tried to crank and the shaft turned. It seemed ok. The rotor moves freely with the dizzy out as well. So that seemed ok as well. . 

oilpump_zps92941f16.jpg

broken piece

oilpumpbrokenpiece_zps6bdd6aaa.jpg

Thanks.

I never seen this happen.

anyways you need a new one spindal. so line the motor up to TDC as in vid or whatever book you using and drop the oil pump . see if it spins also but oil will come out if you spin it to make sure the oil pump didnt lock up. make sure oil is in it.or fill it, get new gasket install shaft with the dimple lined up as in vid. make sure it come up at 11.25 at the top install the dizzy. and rotor should point at #1 plug wire and go 1 3 4 2 counter clockwise fire order.

about a 20min job with rags and gasket.

If the oil pump siezed the spindle would have broken on the other end.  Does the dist rotor spin now, should spin with virtually no resistance.

There's a couple ways that broke:  The dist could have siezed, in which case it still won't spin even removed from the engine.   The second way is the dist was forced in with the dist shaft (not the spindle) backwards.  The tang is offset, but it's physically possible to put the dist on with the tang the wrong way.  That puts side load on the tang until it eventually breaks.

I watched your Vid Hainz. Pretty helpful. I am pulling the oil pump tonight. I got another spindle coming hopefully Friday I will get it. 

The rotor spins freely now. and the broken shaft turns when I crank. Which leads me to believe that the oil pump is good. 

Thanks, 

This....

If the oil pump siezed the spindle would have broken on the other end.  Does the dist rotor spin now, should spin with virtually no resistance.

There's a couple ways that broke:  The dist could have siezed, in which case it still won't spin even removed from the engine.   The second way is the dist was forced in with the dist shaft (not the spindle) backwards.  The tang is offset, but it's physically possible to put the dist on with the tang the wrong way.  That puts side load on the tang until it eventually breaks.

So I got the new oil pump shaft. Installed it. Made sure it was in correctly. Dizzy lined up correctly to tdc.

Still won't start. Seems like the timing is off. I pulled valve cover. Set at tdc. Cam is off by 1 tooth.

Is it possible the chain jumped causing the oil pump shaft to break?

I am going to get a tensioned and new chain. Tear it down and try again.

I think one tooth would still start it. you turn turhing th dist more adv or retard?

If you go the bright link type chain should be EZ to set up. if NOT then use the timming marks on frot cover. you can alsway put the front cover on loose to ck the cam timming and crank zero.

Cam is off by 1 tooth.???????????  well it ran before if you didnt take the chain off.  make sute you got spark again maybeyou for got soemthing

I am going to pull the oil pump shaft again and take a picture to show you. I noticed that the dimple was not in the same position as the old oil pump shaft. If that makes sense. 

So setting both shafts with the dimple at the oil squirter on the oil pump. The timing of the dizzy would be completely different. 

With the new oil pump shaft. The dizzy is lined up at the 1 coil position. If I line up the dimple with the old one. The position would be way off from one on the dizzy. 

Hope that is understandable. 

Thanks

I think that's because your drive spindle was probably put in wrong to begin with, which in turn caused the distributor to be installed "backwards" on the spindle which caused the break in the first place.  You need to start from square 1- set the crank/head timing to TDC, then install the drive spindle, then reset the dist timing to match.  You may need to rearrange the spark plug wires at the cap to get #1 lined up with #1.