Camber Tires? Anyone Running These?

uieluck

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saw this in another forum. i think the consensus is that other reputable tire companies did try to experiment with such an idea in house but 

it wasnt worth it and that the current ones on the market are gimmicky. idk though

Just like some things that are strictly for racing finding they're way onto the street like spoilers. Works racing but not so well (or at all) on the street. Mentions performance driving mostly.... doesn't say anything about mileage or wet traction. How the hell can a tire not wear when the inside of the tread is traveling slower than the outside???

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Correct me if I'm wrong but... I thought on a track\race car the idea was as you roll up on a cambered suspension in a corner it would flatten onto the tread making it effectively full contact tire. I could see a "cambered tire" being useful on a street car that had a lot of lowering camber but it would defeat the purpose on the track. As Mike say its not all spinning at the same rate and I would think that would make problems. Now with that said, Its kinda cool and I would love to know how it works in a practical application.

Correct me if I'm wrong but... I thought on a track\race car the idea was as you roll up on a cambered suspension in a corner it would flatten onto the tread making it effectively full contact tire. I could see a "cambered tire" being useful on a street car that had a lot of lowering camber but it would defeat the purpose on the track. As Mike say its not all spinning at the same rate and I would think that would make problems. Now with that said, Its kinda cool and I would love to know how it works in a practical application.

You are correct. In a racing car the tires are a much greater part of the suspension than in street cars. The tire sidewall acts a bit like a shock absorber. And since the sidewall is thinner under hard turning it will deform which is why camber is used. Im pretty sure the sidewall compound for a racing tire is very different from how it is on a street tire since the only bumps they deal with are usually kerbs.

After watching the video I realized that the "cambered tire" wasn't to offset camber but to add it to a car that didn't have any. I could see that being a good thing for a goon or something with a strait axle.

How is adding camber to a straight axle good? In fact how is adding camber good for anything except some steering steering.

"How the hell can a tire not wear when the inside of the tread is traveling slower than the outside???"

Good question...   :rofl:

Your right in thinking it will always be scrubbing and wont last as long as a regular tire that has little to no camber applied. Where it will last longer is on your lowered 510 street car because the inside of the tread isn't carrying all the weight.

Except it won't last longer.   The tire would be constantly scrubbing ESPECIALLY if you add the "natural" camber to make the tires contact patch even.  The tires would constantly be trying to roll an inside circle- fighting each other, to boot.  The same effect as having bad toe-in, except enforced at the tire.  Though the wear would be more even than running a regular tire with wild camber, wear in a straight line would be excessive.  Imagine trying to make a cone roll in a straight line.

I can see it being OK on the outside tire run on a banked circle racetrack, though.