Loren O's '72 521 -Found this out in the woods.

Loren O

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your concern everyone!   I am going to be ok.  I am sore AF, & I spent all day at the dentist today, having the front tooth that got broken in the accident fixed.

I am waiting for the police report, which will hopefully have the other 2 driver's  insurance information.   Both the other drivers left the scene in ambulances.   The lady who was driving the Jeep that rear ended me had to be removed from the Jeep on a backboard.   I didn't have a chance to talk to her,because of the firemen&  Paramedics.   

The printout the police officer gave me at the scene doesn't have any insurance info, or phone numbers for the other drivers.  

My insurance will cover my medical expenses, and if the Jeep Lady doesn't have insurance, I had coverage for that.   I doubt my truck is savable at this point, but I am going to try to save as many parts as possible, & build a new truck.  In the meantime,  I will focus on getting my 510 wagon back on the road.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

So, here's what happened. 

I was on my way to work. About 8:45 am I was sitting at a stop light, at the end of the offramp from I-5 at Wilsonville rd.  I had been waiting a few minutes, & expected the light to change any second.  I have a very slight memory of seeing the front of the Jeep & hearing yelling about the same time ar the Impact.   Witnesses said they heard her yelling "Oh No!" ,& that she was traveling at around 65mph when she passed them.  The Impact pushed me into the Nissan Frontier that was in line in front of me at the light.  I was spun sideways, & the front end stopped underneath the gravel truck that had been in the lane next to me.  Lucky it wasn't moving  at the time!

The Impact launched the Jeep, spun it around & she took out a signpost, as she landed.   She was obviously in alot of pain, but I didn't see any blood on her, or the driver of the Frontier that I got pushed into.

I could tell my tooth was broken right away, other than that adrenaline kicked in pretty fast.  Once I saw both other drivers were alive, I turned my attention to what was left of my truck.  

I feel like a part of me Died with my truck yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Damn Loren, I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye on things lately, but I definitely feel for you on this. Go to a doctor and get checked out though. You may be "sore" today, but I'm willing to bet money you'll be paying for it later on. Make sure you are ok.

Speaking from experience.

Trucks are replaceable. Good health not so much.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, tdaaj said:

Damn Loren, I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye on things lately, but I definitely feel for you on this. Go to a doctor and get checked out though. You may be "sore" today, but I'm willing to bet money you'll be paying for it later on. Make sure you are ok.

Speaking from experience.

Trucks are replaceable. Good health not so much.

Thank you Ted !

I actually feel like we have settled our differences awhile ago.  Even then, I felt like we had an "agree to disagree " thing going.   Pretty much feel the same way with Jrock.  He sent me a message, making sure I was ok also.   That seems to be part of the thing with this community, even people who have disagreements, still care about each other.

• Like 2

Hi Loren

Saw this on facebook too...

I still have a scar on my  face from when I went into power pole back in 1981 with my first Datsun truck a 1972...bounced off the steering column and ripped the seat belt out of the floor pan too....these trucks are something you don't wanna wreck...they don't fair well at all...thank god you walked away from it...the Jeep looks pretty whipped up to...

MikeC 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, mikec4193 said:

Hi Loren

Saw this on facebook too...

I still have a scar on my  face from when I went into power pole back in 1981 with my first Datsun truck a 1972...bounced off the steering column and ripped the seat belt out of the floor pan too....these trucks are something you don't wanna wreck...they don't fair well at all...thank god you walked away from it...the Jeep looks pretty whipped up to...

MikeC 

All things considered, & knowing how hard the Impact FELT, I am amazed how well my truck held up.   I don't know that I will ever feel quite as safe about another vehicle, as I do about 521's at this point.   My Truck took one hell of an Impact at both ends, & I was able to walk away.

• Like 2

Loren,

Please do not let them crush that truck until you have gotten any useable parts off of it.  I see a good tail light glass looks good and I be there are still many parts that can be saved to build another one.

That little truck saved your life!  Make it yard art!

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...

I bought another Dragon green 521 yesterday, to replace my wrecked truck.

It's actually in alot better overall condition than my old one was ,& I also bought a disc brake setup, & 2 8.5"  wide slot mags to go with it.   The new truck is a running, driving truck,  so I will just want to change some things, to make it more my style.  I also want to get the dogleg 5 speed, that I didn't get the chance to install in my old truck, put in the new one.   I am not sure how many parts of my wrecked truck are savable, but the ones that are will most likely find thier way on to the new one.   Plan is to build the truck in the style I had always wanted to do my old one,  so with a lot more lean towards the Fontana style.

The new truck has been known as "Sweetpea " in the Oregon area, & I will keep calling it that.

do you guys think I should start a new build thread, or just keep this one going?

anyway, here's a couple pictures;

received_1140835232744222.jpeg

received_2105350513020785.jpeg

• Like 2

here's a couple pictures from Silver Falls last year

the first picture has the new truck, & Hogie's 521,along with my old one in the background. 

the 2nd picture is of my old truck at the same event. 

20180505_134729.jpg

20180505_134713.jpg

here's one of Hogie's truck, with both my old one, & the new one on either side of his.

20180505_134721.jpg

here's on of all 3 trucks.

20180505_134737.jpg

• Like 2