1972 620

dottiethe620

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, heres your freebie 

1. please post a pic of your datsun so we can give you answers to your questions or your just gunna get pointless responses

2. maybe say hello! introduce yourself

3. datsuns are easy, you can work on them.

so....... try again? 

• Like 2

Hey guys so I'm new to the datsun scene and I just got a 620 last week. The entire engine is a bone stock l16. I've been tweaking around with the carb and have been thinking of putting a 32/36 weber in for the time being. Can anyone recommend any shops in the Bay Area that does good work on datsuns and also give me some ideas as I restore it? I will post pics later today.

Two identical post in the 620 section in 15 min???? (sigh) Introduce yourself, post some pictures of your 620 and tell us why you like it and what your plans are for it and I'll let this slide.

I merged the two posts.

Yeah sorry. Like I said new to this. And my plan is to keep the l16 engine and bore it out to a higher displacement. That's why I'm looking for a shop in the bay. I want to lower to 4-5 inches and was thinking of a 5 lug conversion so I can put panasports on later. Also thinking later after engine is mostly tuned that I'd go to dual sidedrafts. Either mikuni or weber.

You can get 1mm oversize L16 pistons making a 1632cc motor. This is 2% larger so maybe 70 hp X 0.02 = 1.4 extra horse power. Hmmm a lot of expense for that....

If boring an L16 you will need larger pistons so.... if re-building an L series motor why not start with a larger L series motor to begin with? Find an old L20B and for the same cost, re-build it stock. You will instantly have 20 more hp, something that the L16 with side drafts would never do. That's under 70 RWHP to over 90 RWHP and torque that will push you in the seat.

Does it run now?  Just drive the L16 for now if it does.  The L20B is the cheapest upgrade.  Find some local guys with L20B's and KA swaps and get a ride in their trucks to find out what you really want before spending the money.  In other words, don't rush into spending money on the engine, if you already have a good one.   Do all the other work to it first.  Get the stance to where you want it.  Get the wheels you want on it, and keep going from there.  Anytime you plan on more horse power, make sure your brakes are adequate for more power first.  I've made that mistake before.  Don't just go tearing into the restoration project.  Enjoy it as long as you can before you have to take it off the road for major repairs.  A lot of people just tear into a restoration project, and lose interest along the way.  Minimize your down time by doing what repairs you can do, while still driving it.

• Like 2

Stick with the Weber 32/36.  It will also work on the L20B.  There is a manifold out there to put carburetors on a KA... Though with the help from this forum you can install the fuel injection with little trouble.

I buy my Webers here:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/Nissan_Replacement_Carburetors_s/37.htm

I'd suggest the DGEV with electric choke.

Make sure you get the PCV hoses put back on correctly.  They are important.  When you get to that point, just ask.  We will help.

• Like 1

By the way, I just bought my first 620 over the weekend, so I'm going through a lot of the same steps you are right now.  All though I have had my 510 for almost a year now, so I know Datsuns from that side of the game.

It had to be pointed out to me, but here is a link you may have missed.  ]2eDeYe has it posted in his signature:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/2105-datsun-faq-frequently-asked-questions-look-here-first/

Here's mine, but if your restoring yours, we are obviously going in two different directions:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/57342-bomber-green-73-620/

I haven't done my 620 yet, but I believe it's as simple as; jack the truck up, put it on stands, so the suspension hangs down, un-bolt the U-bolts holding the diff housing on, jack up the diff housing, slide the lowering blocks between the springs and housing, lower the housing onto the blocks, bolt the u-bolts back on, and lower the truck down...... Now you may need to trim the bump-stop, and you may need different shocks,  I don't know about that yet.

ok, heres your freebie 

1. please post a pic of your datsun so we can give you answers to your questions or your just gunna get pointless responses

2. maybe say hello! introduce yourself

3. datsuns are easy, you can work on them.

so....... try again? 

Exactly what a scamming asshole would say. ;)

Amirite?

• Like 1