Daily Hillclimb Build (s30)

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2014 Mt Washington CTTC was my last hillclimb. I raced an RX7 with SCCA in IT7 for the 2015 season. I spent 2016 expanding the FutoFab product lines and didn't sit in a racecar once last year.

My 2017 schedule is focused on SCCA road racing in a 72 Datsun 510 with the goal of an invite to Indy for the SCCA Runnoffs Championship in the Fall.

I'm planning on racing a 71 Datsun 510 (different Datsun racecar) at this year's CTTC. I've raced all the Mt Washington CTTC events since 1990, all in a 510.

Mt. Ascutney in May is a maybe, if KSCC schedules a June event, I'll likely make that one. There is usually an Okemos or Burke event in that timeframe. This would be a good shakedown for Washington.

... didn't sit in a racecar once last year.

This really makes me sad. Road racing sounds like a lot of fun, but I still can't imagine anything being as much fun as hillclimbs. I'm really hoping my CTTC application is accepted; I'm throwing a lot of time/money at getting ready for it. Just getting ready for the standard hillclimb season would be quite a bit easier.

I came down with a cold or something this week, and haven't had a chance to make any progress on the car. Hopefully I'm back in the swing of things for the weekend.

It's super encouraging to see a small pile of subscriptions in my inbox this morning. I have plenty of complaints about the quality of this video, but at some point I have to say "good enough, it's time to start publishing." They'll only get better from here, but I'm glad to see people willing to overlook the shortcomings and stay for the ride. I'm shooting for a new video every Tuesday 'till the car is done.

• Like 3

I've been toying with the idea of doing a 'tech tip' in each episode. Specifically, what kind of things would you be interested in seeing?

The upload last night was a secret update to the original video, which was missing one of the audio files. Don't tell nobody.

• Like 2

Everyone loves a tech tip! I'd say people aspire to do what yours doing so any advice, how tos etc are awesome. Just be careful not to fall into the trap some people do of making the how tos tedious as hell! I like the fab forums on YouTube who has built up 100k followers now

• Like 1

When I see this car.. I think of Humpty Dumpty.

White, and in a million pieces..

That's a pretty accurate summary. Today's excitement wasn't very exciting. Lots of cleanup, tons of measuring, and a bunch of prep work for this week's work.

I took a moment to appreciate the fit and quality of the roll cage, though.

31514782854_d8fba90280_b.jpg

• Like 2

Right on. Sometimes the math all works on paper, and it just takes fucking up to see the error. The curse is when it's not quite bad enough to do over. You get to do it better now. And it's looking serious! Nice coping.

Material is cheap, and I really need the core of the cage to fit just so ... so it's always bad enough to do over.

The printed coping method is genius. I thought I'd have to buy one of those expensive coping measuring tools

I can't lay claim to the idea, but I'm more than happy to pass it around. I'm trying to come up with a small tech tip to drop in every month like this. Generally speaking, The Fabricator Series and Fab Forums have that covered pretty well.