One way to repair external threads...

walpal

OK, I have to get this info out there on a fix for screwed up threads on a bolt.

I pulled the rear cross member on my 510 so I could install the adjustable setup I purchased from Datsport. Long, many week process but it all gets done and I prepare to put it back together. I crawl under the car and find that one of the cross member mounting bolts is galled and I am screwed! :mad:   No way I am getting a nut on this thing. Thread file won't work. A die would be problematic to synch up with the existing threads. What to do?

1galledthreads.jpg

To the interweb! After some searching I come across something called a split die thread chaser. Never heard of this. Sounds like the answer to my  problem. I am able to order just the one I need (not buy a whole set for a lot of $$) from these folks: https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/ for $20 plus shipping. Murray is the brand and other vendors have them out there.

This tool is able to expand (it has a spring around the outside edge and it comes with an extra spring) and fits above the damaged area and does what die is supposed to do with the help of a deep 1" socket and some oil.

2splitdie.jpg

3problem.jpg

And it works! Saved my ass big time. I have no financial interest in any of this by the way. Just a happy customer that is glad I found this solution to my problem. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Oh yea, I am going to clean up the end of the bolt in the photos, looks like it made some contact with a jack or something.

4fixed.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, those all will work but I was looking for something that was more likely to guarantee success (mostly because of my nominal skill set and previous failed attempts at similar repairs) since I figured if I screwed this up I was in for an expensive and/or difficult repair. Also laying on my back under the car with limited access, this thing was a breeze to use. Might purchase a few more sizes to have on hand for future use.

The thing about this that was annoying is the damage was from just unbolting what I am pretty sure was a factory installed nut that I had used PB Blaster on to avoid just this sort of problem. Just goes to show that nothing is easy on 40+ year old cars.

Don't get me wrong, what you did is good.  Just offering up another solution.

Did you use an impact on the nut?

I guess I'm lucky, my original car hasn't given me any issues with getting nuts off.  I can't say that I've seen factory hardware do that to threads....  Anything is possible.  Does it go back on smoothly now?

No problem there, others might be in search of solutions when they come across this thread in the future and this might help them out. The more solutions the better.

No impact, just a socket and ratchet. Even went slow. Not sure why the threads went wonky, just lucky I guess.

I seem to have developed a pattern on this car. If I remove 4 nuts, bolts or whatever at least 1 of them gives me grief.  :wacko:

And that is why I am taking so damn long to get it on the road!

(also trying to get my post count up and lose my Newbie title  :) )

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...