"Do Not Use Old Studs"?

cxune

Gentlemen-

My new brake drum comes in a bag that gives alot of advice. I'm already violating the one about not performing brake work without adequate experience, so should I pay attention to the suggestion not to use old studs?

Is this a Datsun thing or a CYA thing? My '71 GMC pickup has had the same drum brake studs on it for 42 years, as far as I can tell.

Thanks always-

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're just covering their ass. I heard a milk commercial on the radio driving through Montana... milk! and the last words were "Use only as directed" You know for the truly moronic who try to breath it.

Well.... I have seen some pretty wierd uses for Milk on the internet.... just saying.

Roger that. For a minute I was wondering if Datsun studs were disposable or something. But the metal looks pretty good, which is more than I can say for the body panels on my '80. But the growing rust patches are reducing the weight, which might save some MPGs.. : )

I believe the instructions included in most of these brake drums/rotors are generic.  there are some rare cases where you have to press out the studs to remove a rotor/drum from a hub.  i would speculate that the knurled press fit surface of the stud can wear during the install removal process and it may be recommended to replace them.

GM%20install%20axle.JPG

GM%20Rear%20seal.JPG

• Like 1