Vintage Datsun picture sightings

Time to dig through your photo albums. This is the *vintage* sightings thread.

Drive a Z off the lot in 1971? Lets see the proud pic of it in your driveway.

Find some old pics of the previous owner in the glovebox of your 510? You know what to do.

Take your date to prom in a Datsun in 1984? Post a pic.

Find an awesome photo of a Datsun dealership or the BRE race team? Post them up!

Family or "found" pictures preferred, not just the famous ones we've all seen on the internet.

Have a vintage pic? Post it! And post the story!

=====

620 spotted on a diner wall in SF:

Ac0Ewlyl.jpg

Wedding getaway car of some folks I know:

3bXgrTj.jpg

My dad's old 200SX. This is where it all began. All I remember was being very confused about the whole Datsun/Nissan thing!

KQNsrYr.jpg

Lets see yours!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot these images in the summer of '73 in front of my parent's house in San Mateo, California. Gas was about $.45 a gallon. I lived in San Francisco and my brother was going to school @ UCSB. I drove down to Isla Vista for a Greatful Dead concert in the stadium after this. I paid $1950.00 for it through Dragonetti Datsun. I think my AAA insurance was about $36 a month for full coverage.

CPs224.jpg

I turned 90 degrees and shot my Dad and his 510. I had so much fun driving that car. He died a year later. I was in the Army and don't know what happened to it, but I'm still driving my truck every day... somewhere around 349K miles on it. 

CPs223moms510.jpg

He bought the 510 used as a 'demonstrator' for $1500. It had 1500 hundred miles on it I remember. It had all the factory and dealer options you could get. Really nice console with dual cigarette lighters! Too strange. I had been driving a '67 mustang, 289 4bl 4speed... so lucky to be alive. So getting in this thing was like being on rails in comparison.

CPs273Datsun510.jpg

Never thought to take oics of the cars, just the cats.  

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally found the album of oics from the olden days... I knew I had them somewhere. This is a shot of my younger brother in the '72 620.  I bought this truck new and it had the California Emissions air pump on it which kinda sucked. But it was a good truck, we puled off some epic road trips, like driving to San Diego and back in two days to get ten pounds of weed for a grand. Or the classic, taking 500 micrograms of Owsley Batman at 5AM and driving to Yosemite. When we got to the gate the Park Ranger was such a cartoon character that we couldn't stop laughing... then driving down into the "Valley" and jumping into the Merced river at 9AM... YeeHaaw!

We pulled into a picnic spot and were fixing some lunch, when our next door neighbor rode up on a BMW 75/5, with vintage Belstaff jacket and goggles. He just rode over the highway 120 Pass from Reno and was tripping his brains out too. I said, what were you doing in Reno? He goes, just thought I would take a spin... fancy meeting you guys here! 

We also drove it to the Grand Canyon and hiked down to Phantom Ranch for a couple days. Met some of the "Dead" family at Indian Gardens and traded some Owsley for giant fresh Peyote buttons, then tripped all night with two French dudes. They both had just graduated from medical school, and as was the custom, they went on a sabbatical, traveling around the world for a year before they started residency. They were interested in mind altering substances so they wanted to try acid... we talked them out of it, and ate buttons instead. We sat up on this giant rock outcropping, watched the full moon go across the sky and the sunrise. Never saw them again, but I bet they will never forget furthering their pharmacological knowledge at the Grand Canyon... a hundred degrees in the middle of the night.

I got drafted and sold the truck to my brother, then bought the bulletside 620 I have now, that's parked in back. He drove that thing up into the mid '90s, then had a roommate who had fell on hard times, so he sold the tan '72 to him. It had maybe a hundred thousand mile on it, because he always had sports cars and commuted on motorcycles. The guy only paid him half the money... then drove out into the desert and shot himself. We tried to get it back but couldn't... don't remember why. My brother is retired, lives three block from the beach... drives a Frontier now.

CPs054521620.jpg   

This is what happens when you are trying to roll a joint with one hand and blast up a logging road in the High Sierras...  hangin' four wheel drifts.

CPs065DatsunWreck1.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

BM7zC4F.jpg

Here's my only other vintage photo I can think of. This one came from some site about surfing at Byron Bay in Northeast Australia.

The idea of stowing a longboard in a roadster (definitely looks like a 1500) while some tanned girl chats with you on the sun baked beach makes me smile.

• Like 2