Need help identifying dogleg five-speed in my '69

Ghetto Jack

I bought my 1969 510 with a five-speed dogleg transmission, and the transmission died last night.  I'm trying to order one quickly and get her back on the road.  To do so, I need to identify what transmission is currently in the car so I don't accidentally order the wrong one.

Here's what I know:

It's definitely a dogleg five-speed.

To make it work, the previous owner had to cut a new hole in the transmission tunnel for the shifter.

Here's why I'm confused:

I've done a lot of searching on this site and the realm, and so far, I've found that only 1977-1979 A10 510 and S10 200SX had the dogleg pattern, yet I've only heard of the transmission tunnel needing to be cut for a new shifter hole on the 280Z/280ZX/620 "long tail" 31.5" length transmissions.  

Were any of the "long tail" transmissions dogleg?  Does the 1977-1979 A10/S10 transmission require a new shifter hole to be cut?

Any help would be much appreciated.  I've gotta get this thing back on the road.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a long version of the 63 series dogleg transmission used in Japan in the SSS 610(?). It was never brought into the US in a production car. Some have shown up in the States when SSS L18 engines were imported, but these are very rare. I saw one for sale a couple years back and the owner, while quite Datsun knowledgeable, wasn't sure of exactly what he had.

The Datsun Comp direct drive gearboxes were also dog leg pattern and based on the long 71 series gearboxes used in the 280Z/ZX and L motored trucks.

The good news is if it is one of the long JDM 63 dogleg boxes it can be replaced with an overdrive 71 series 5 speed from a ZX or an L engined 2wd truck

And no the A10/S10 dogleg doesn't need the transmission tunnel hole relocated, but the metal stock shift boot base needs to be moved back slightly to clear the shifter (or you just use an aftermarket boot). But the tunnel hole doesn't need to be moved. 

Measure the length. Stock A10/S10 FS5W63A doglegs are just a hair over 26" long. The 'long dogleg' will be about 31 1/2 inches long.

A10 dogleg, L series. There were Z series doglegs also.

transdoglegshort78hl510Lseries.jpg

Phatdave's mystery dogleg (long)

transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg

For the record the long dogleg was also used in Europe on the 910. (#5 and #3)

EURO5-8105spddogleg4-8104spd3-6105spddog

Long from an Australian 180B

FS5W63AlongDaveOzdatfrom180B.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 1/21/2019 at 6:10 PM, Gery said:

As always, very. Valuable information.  

Are these considered good transmissions in terms of 

-street/hwy driving

-repairability

?

Other than the weird shift pattern and the fact that they are no stronger than a standard 510 4 speed, they are fine, as long as you don't put serious power behind them. 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:10 PM, Gery said:

As always, very. Valuable information.  

Are these considered good transmissions in terms of 

-street/hwy driving

-repairability

?

The small ones that we got in the first gen S10 and an option in the A10 were the same length as the 510s 4 speed and would also fit the 521, early 620 and the 710. It's adequate. But with the 71B available, if going to a 5 speed I would want something designed to work behind a six cylinder even though they are longer and need the driveshaft modified. I have the guts to a long dogleg.