I just acquired this 1969 Nissan Patrol

It took until Monday evening but we did get it running and I have video proof. Sorry the quality sucks and it being dark doesn't help much either. 

All it took was rebuilding the carb and getting fresh gas in there. My cousin is in the foreground with the thumbs up and I am in the background tweaking something on the carb. 

WP_20130901_001.jpg

Video proof:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm172/mcbevee/a6-1.mp4

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Patrol Owners Club.  If you are not alredy a member, please join 60Patrol.com

Keith

Do you have vehicle weight numbers on the Patrol?  Being all steel it feels pretty heavy for its size and I'm worrying about making enough power.  My cousin is giving me shit for not just putting an american made V8 in it but I don't want it to lose it's soul and they are just so common to swap into everything that its not that interesting to me. 

The VG33Es can be acquired for damn cheap so I am leaning that way at the moment. I remember way back when I was looking to swap my 510 there were some people that were getting carb manifolds from the middle east and that actually seems like a pretty interesting setup to look into. Is the VG a powerful enough engine? There are also a lot of interesting more modern Nissan engine options but they tend to be pretty expensive or not readily available domestically.

I don't want my Patrol to be totally outclassed by my cousin's Bronco since we'll probably be wheeling together a fair amount. He's building a Ford 351 for his Bronco at the moment.

-Steve

A stock hardtop version KL60 weighs 3663 lbs.

As you can see from my postings, I am a purest and do not like to modify a classic vehicle. I do know that some people install a SBC powertrain. You will have to do a bit of research to ensure a 4WD transaxle can be accommodated.

Just a side note, a vintage Datsun/Nissan is more valuable if it retains a linage to the Nissan family of powertrains. The Nissan SD33T, used in the IH Scout, may be a good compromise.

Keith

Better options would be an l28e, maybe l28et, you could use a short tail 5 speed an a divorced transfercase set up.

You may look into the mercedes turbo diesel in the 300d, they make adapters to mate it to gear box and transfer cases from many makes(jeep chevy ford toyota), with something like 4.10 or 4.88 gears it would be more than enough power to wheel it around in the woods

super cool!

some Nissan patrols (y60 gq patrol) in nz/aus came out with rb30 carbed engines and very nice big 4x4 manual gearboxs. they were manufactured from 87 up untill the mid 90s and In rebadged ford mavericks.

holden vl commodors run 308 v8s

this model also came out with rb30e engines and bolt to the same style of engine mount as the v8.

holden as a company have a very long history of using chevy engines in there cars so I wouldn't be too suprised if it would be an easy bolt over swap.

if you could get your hands on the mounts you'd be onto something and could slap in any old rb engine but unfortunatly that model of commodore is pretty much only available in nz and aus so let me know if you would like to try it they are dime a dozen over here. you may only need to replicate bottom plates to match the chevy mount to the rb20/25/26/30 rubber mount (which wouldn't be hard at all!!)

let me know if you need any info on mounts I have a few laying around at the moment

good luck with it, its been my dream to rb25/26det an old patrol

super cool!

some Nissan patrols (y60 gq patrol) in nz/aus came out with rb30 carbed engines and very nice big 4x4 manual gearboxs. they were manufactured from 87 up untill the mid 90s and In rebadged ford mavericks.

holden vl commodors run 308 v8s

this model also came out with rb30e engines and bolt to the same style of engine mount as the v8.

holden as a company have a very long history of using chevy engines in there cars so I wouldn't be too suprised if it would be an easy bolt over swap.

if you could get your hands on the mounts you'd be onto something and could slap in any old rb engine but unfortunatly that model of commodore is pretty much only available in nz and aus so let me know if you would like to try it they are dime a dozen over here. you may only need to replicate bottom plates to match the chevy mount to the rb20/25/26/30 rubber mount (which wouldn't be hard at all!!)

let me know if you need any info on mounts I have a few laying around at the moment

good luck with it, its been my dream to rb25/26det an old patrol

That sounds pretty interesting but I don't know how easy it will be to source parts here in the states. I will do some research and see how expensive it might be to source an RB30E drivetrain. 

-Steve

So whats happening with this thing? You tear into it yet?

Not too much. I rebuilt the carb to prove that it would run and it did. I need to look at a brake that seems to be sticking a little bit and honestly after that it's probably road worthy. I am getting it registered today. It's still at my cousin's place so I can't work on it at will. I will be transporting it up to my new place in Puyallup when I close on the house and that should happen early in October. Then I will be shocked into reality at how much owning a home costs and I will probably be stone broke to put money into the Patrol at all.

What will actually probably happen is I will decide on a plan for the swap, acquire parts over time and drive it with the current setup in the interim. Hopefully I can drive it out to some kind of Ratsun meetup before the weather gets too awful.

-Steve

So whats happening with this thing? You tear into it yet?

Oh, and my new place has a two car detached garage that will be very nice for working on things. I will be able to store my 510 indoors at all times while still working on the Patrol. My current garage situation doesn't allow that which is why I haven't really done much to it yet. The Patrol has a nice carport to sit under at my cousin's until I settle into my new digs.

-Steve

That sounds pretty interesting but I don't know how easy it will be to source parts here in the states. I will do some research and see how expensive it might be to source an RB30E drivetrain.

-Steve

here's a link to some mounts on our local trading site --> http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/holden/engines/auction-638007720.htm

you could probably fold a base plates to fit the your mounts just like the ones in the link (I'm assuming yours bolt up in a simillar way?)

the hardcore 4x4 boys know there stuff when it comes to the gearboxes. I've heard of a lot of different combos when I was looking for a column shift setup to fit my rb30 and for me its as simple as changing the bellhousing aslong as its a 71c gearbox.

this is the same for you and some will share the same bolt pattern as an rb so potentially you could build a very strong drivetrain

• 3 months later...

Ok, I finally have an update. Right after buying the patrol I had a super busy couple of months - I bought my first house and moved to Puyallup and then got my wife pregnant. The patrol went onto the back burner for a bit while we got settled into our new place, which is super awesome with a nice little detached two car garage and a small workshop.  

The patrol, which has been sitting under a carport at my family's dairy farm in Canby, OR was getting some occasional work on it but I hadn't made much progress after rebuilding the carb. It would start up with effort and it would idle perfectly fine but it couldn't take much driving before it would sputter and die. It really seemed like it was getting fuel starved and that turned out to be exactly the case. Even though the in line fuel filter was new and the fuel pump was new there was a small canister filter that sits inside the carb where the fuel line meets it and it was terribly clogged up. 

After replacing that filter the engine is running remarkably better. I picked up some sweet mud tires from Les Schwab and it's amazing how much better the patrol looks already. I now have the patrol on site at my new place garaged and sitting next to the 510 so it will be so much easier to work on it at will. The brake master cylinder leaks really bad so that is the next thing I will be replacing.

Also, while during my struggles to get the engine running better I finally came to the conclusion that it is not a Chevy 235 as I was told but actually a Chevy 292. The engine is similar but the 292 is a newer and more powerful motor. I am pretty happy with this discovery but the 3 speed manual still bums me out because the top speed is really limited. There is still a motor and tranny swap in the future but I don't feel its as urgent as I did before.  

Here are some newer pics:

WP_20140101_019.jpg

WP_20140101_015.jpg

WP_20131229_003.jpg

WP_20131231_002.jpg

WP_20140101_008.jpg

The 3-speed trans isn't really the limiting factor- it has a 1:1 top gear, like any other non-overdrive trans (well, unless it's the rare 3-speed overdrive).  The real limiting factor is the 292's low RPM range plus the really "short" differential ratios.  These weren't meant for freeway driving, even with the stock drivetrain.  Though a 292 does use a standard chevy bell pattern, so almost any overdrive that fits a SBC will fit anyway.

Alber

Not to be a dick here but You got a great find and if a Chevy motor I think its might even be better. I would not swap out the motor. These things are not going to get faster unless you gots lots of money(like Land Cruiser swaps).

When  i hear swaps I think orf projects like that Bronco it was with it next becomming one with the earth.

This Partol is most likely faster than the stock P40 motor.

You got it running and Im think its great. Maybe find and org bumper but I think its a great find. Who cares if a chevy motor. You need torque in this thing and a KA is NOT the choice for it.

face the facts FJ40 or Patrols they are slow and just live with it. TYou have a Japanese Classic.

As for the fuel filter. if your tank is exposed underneath and the fuel hose isin wheelwheel dirt can get in thru the tube in wheelwell and thus water will get in past the clamp and also dirt. coomon on 521s so best to run 2 filters till it clears out then just go bac to stock.

If you want o sell it let me know first but I like my Cherokees as it can go the speed limit. But If I lived in hawaii I would prefer that Patrol.

Buy spare brakes and hydralic cylinders while you can for spares

Alber

Not to be a dick here but You got a great find and if a Chevy motor I think its might even be better. I would not swap out the motor. These things are not going to get faster unless you gots lots of money(like Land Cruiser swaps).

When  i hear swaps I think orf projects like that Bronco it was with it next becomming one with the earth.

This Partol is most likely faster than the stock P40 motor.

You got it running and Im think its great. Maybe find and org bumper but I think its a great find. Who cares if a chevy motor. You need torque in this thing and a KA is NOT the choice for it.

face the facts FJ40 or Patrols they are slow and just live with it. TYou have a Japanese Classic.

As for the fuel filter. if your tank is exposed underneath and the fuel hose isin wheelwheel dirt can get in thru the tube in wheelwell and thus water will get in past the clamp and also dirt. coomon on 521s so best to run 2 filters till it clears out then just go bac to stock.

If you want o sell it let me know first but I like my Cherokees as it can go the speed limit. But If I lived in hawaii I would prefer that Patrol.

Buy spare brakes and hydralic cylinders while you can for spares

Bonzai - 

I am warming up to keeping the motor for at least the short-term. I compression checked it and it seems like a very healthy motor and now without the fuel being choked off it seems to be decently powerful.

I don't need it to go super fast, honestly I would be happy to just be able to cruise at 65 mph. Right now it feels like it never wants to go faster than 55, which just a bummer for long camping trips, going to Canby, etc. What do you know about other transmission options that are direct boltons for the 292?  I really want to keep it a manual since its a lot of fun. Is there a 4 speed trans out there that I should be looking for?  

I can do some more research myself of course but it seems like you and datsunaholic both have some familiarity with the motor.

Thanks,

Steve

Even in stock form, 55 was pushing it.  65, you're pushing the limits of the suspension and brakes.  These things were designed to have a cruising speed somewhere between 45-50.

That being said, adding an overdrive won't necessarily make it faster.  If you're hitting the engine's redline (but still have power to spare) an overdrive would work.  If you're running out of power, an overdrive may make the problem worse.  Or, it could help if you've gone over the torque curve (torque drops off after a certain point). 

In any case, for overdrive transmissions the most common 5-speed you can find would be a T-5 from something like a Camaro or a S10.  The Camaro "World Class" T-5 would be the stronger transmission, though I don't think a 292 is going to be torquey enough to blow up a S10 T-5, since the 4.3L V-6 produced more HP and torque (though not by much, torquewise)  than the 292.

But no matter what trans you'd switch to, bolting on the engine is the least worry.   You will have to change the trans mount and driveshaft to the transfer case no matter what, because it's going to be a longer transmission.

A far more expensive option would be to change out the transfer case to one with an overdrive.  They exist. 

There is some pretty good info out there on the Chevy truck boards about putting T-5s on 292s (or other standard I-6 Chevy engines). 

Dude my cherokee rarely goes over 65 if slight hill  . Your doing good already believe me. You have to just live with it. Thats why they are newer rigs out there.

Your expecting a 90s tech out of a 50s era designed rig.  You want more its going to COST you. This rig is just good around the farm or maybe going out to green water chugging aroundPull the top off. if you want to go over the mountainpass at 75mph  its never going to happen. Even with a V8 youll get tired of the rattley noisey rig. Believe me I love my nice quiet cherokee with 4 doors and nice heater and power steering and was $3K and runs perfect.  But the patrol you got is the shit. Its a classic and the chevy motor think is even better.

My neihboor bought a 83Deisel FJ type looking landcruiser paid 10K for and it barely goes 60mph.  The gas motor land cruiser  was a chevy clone anywas.

the aussie guys I know love the Patrols and in back of the magazines I saw while in Austraila would use the toyota JZ trans and make adapters to put in other cars as they were strong and cheap.

Be honest I would just clean it up. buy soem spares and pain it white or red or both. or army green olive drab. But thats just me.

You will have to change the trans mount and driveshaft to the transfer case no matter what, because it's going to be a longer transmission.(dont messwith the angles)This is a big deal.

If you want to get rid of it let me look at it first Im not looking to get another rig but like to see it if wanting to get rid of it.

Dude my cherokee rarely goes over 65 if slight hill  . Your doing good already believe me. You have to just live with it. Thats why they are newer rigs out there.

Your expecting a 90s tech out of a 50s era designed rig.  You want more its going to COST you. This rig is just good around the farm or maybe going out to green water chugging aroundPull the top off. if you want to go over the mountainpass at 75mph  its never going to happen. Even with a V8 youll get tired of the rattley noisey rig. Believe me I love my nice quiet cherokee with 4 doors and nice heater and power steering and was $3K and runs perfect.  But the patrol you got is the shit. Its a classic and the chevy motor think is even better.

My neihboor bought a 83Deisel FJ type looking landcruiser paid 10K for and it barely goes 60mph.  The gas motor land cruiser  was a chevy clone anywas.

the aussie guys I know love the Patrols and in back of the magazines I saw while in Austraila would use the toyota JZ trans and make adapters to put in other cars as they were strong and cheap.

Be honest I would just clean it up. buy soem spares and pain it white or red or both. or army green olive drab. But thats just me.

You will have to change the trans mount and driveshaft to the transfer case no matter what, because it's going to be a longer transmission.(dont messwith the angles)This is a big deal.

If you want to get rid of it let me look at it first Im not looking to get another rig but like to see it if wanting to get rid of it.

I'm definitely not looking to get rid of it. I was actively seeking one of these for a while before landing this one. I understand where you're coming from on it being older tech. I do have a newer daily driver so it never needs to be something it isn't. Its just going to be a special use vehicle and I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. 

There are plenty of smaller projects to do on it at the moment so I have no doubt I will be sinking some money and time into it.

Steve

Master cylinder was leaking horribly so I located and new one and installed it. Brake pedal is nice and firm now and no leaking whatsoever. Braking seems solid for 4 wheel drum manual brakes.

Next problem is the clutch is really obnoxious. It makes a screeching sound whenever I press the clutch pedal and it audibly sounds like the clutch disc is "rubbing" as well. I'm not sure if this means the clutch linkage needs adjustment or if the clutch is just at the end of its life.

Pics of master cylinder install:

WP_20140104_001.jpg

WP_20140104_005.jpg

Steve

what did the Brake MC come from?  I need to put a new one on mine.

When I pulled out the bad one I realized that this was not a factory master cylinder. The previous owner drilled two new mounting holes since the flange on this one is rotated 90 degrees from the factory one. I chose to just replace the bad one with an identical brand new one instead of trying to track down an original. The part number I used is a Dorman M40000. 

Steve

As far as a higher cruising speed does you could run a higher differential gear and twin transfer cases to still get a low gear for crawling around. Or put an overdrive transmission in it, it is a Chevy motor, there has to be a ton of swaps out there for it