Nissan 720 4WD

72O

Starting my first build thread, I have a 1986 Nissan 720, 4WD, 172k on odo.

This is when I first got it.

24ql8b4_zpse91d1e70.jpg

This is when my friend Sam (Samvanman) and I cleaned up the interior to find shorts.

BEFORE

20130310_121455_zpsf5790c7a.jpg

20130310_121520_zps10dc448c.jpg

AFTER 

20130310_142051_zps94ee3d9f.jpg

20130310_142101_zpsd75ae35f.jpg

All the unnecessary wires we pulled out 

20130310_142032_zps691ece70.jpg

20130310_121507_zps880e7b33.jpg

I've had this truck for 7 months now, i've done a lot to it since and plan on doing more.

What is done so far

- Polyurethane bushings on lower and upper control arms & both leaf springs

- All new ball joints and CV boots

- New Alternator & Battery

- Fuel Regulator 

I've kind of slacked off on the project but now that summer is over I'm ready to get back into it. :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! More pictures are coming! I do however a question for you guys, im trying to fix the passenger window Regulator. It all works and everything but if you can see in the picture the window wont roll up perfectly because the bottom of the regulator is angled. 

It sits like this

20130820_123757_zps51b3f86a.jpg

When I need to sit higher like this.

20130820_123724_zps4b2f2bbd.jpg

Any way I can position the regulator to align perfectly?

Thanks for the feedback.  B)

Welcome.  Very nice 720.

Looking at your pics, I think instead of the glass needing raised on the left end, it needs to be seated on the other end.  The beige-colored pieces that bolt to the regulator should cover the gray metal parts just to the left in the pic.  The beige tabs should be bonded to the glass and bolted to the regulator, and the regulator should pull the glass down, not just let it fall by gravity.  If the window is loose and can be lifted a little, slide the regulator to the left and seat the tabs over the gray parts that wrap around the glass.  If it won't stay put, you may have to use a bit of epoxy.

window_zps78d981b3.jpg

What is done so far

- Polyurethane bushings on lower and upper control arms & both leaf springs

- All new ball joints and CV boots

- New Alternator & Battery

- Fuel Regulator

Let us know how those polly bushings work out. They tend to be too hard and don't flex enough and one side or the other chafes and wears out. They usually squeak too. See in a year's time. I have them on a set of shackles and they are already have an oval hole where the bolts go through.

Why the fuel regulator? Did you swap carbs or change the electric pump?

The Z24 has a history of blowing head gaskets every 100K so yours is over due. The next time you get the chance, and while the motor is cold, loosen each head bolt... but only one at a time. Re-torque to 60 ft pounds. Then go on to the next. You can do this in any order just be sure to do only one at a time. This is in the Nissan FSM and is advised it be done every tune up so at least once a year. Most owners have never heard about this, the gasket blows, they try to fix it, take the head off and the chain tensioned fall out internally and they scrap it.

While you are at it. Put the valve cover on loosely, and warm the motor. Set the valve lash to 0.012" intake and exhaust while hot.

I've had the polyurethane bushings on for a couple months now, they are a pretty stiff ride. 

An aftermarket fuel pump was put on when I bought the truck. I'm thinking of going back to stock pretty soon, I feel that it makes the fuel delivery worse. 

I might need more step by step procedures of re-torquing the head bolts and setting the valve lash though I am a beginner at engine work.

I haven't even touched the block yet but I can this weekend, what are things I should tune up? I have noticed a ticking noise lately, valve adjustment?

Plus, I can't quite get the idle right on my truck. Sometimes when it is put in neutral or starting up the RPM is around 2-3000. Turning my A/C on will sometimes overheat my engine and lowers the RPMs dramatically.

Also, when I shut off my engine sometimes it shakes pretty hard and spudders out. I can video tape it if that's not descriptive enough.

I'm installing new brake rotors this weekend, I can take a look at all of this. 

One last question, any suggestions on having less play with shifting??

I've had the polyurethane bushings on for a couple months now, they are a pretty stiff ride.

New rubber would be better, but it's ok.

I have noticed a ticking noise lately, valve adjustment?

Very possible.

Plus, I can't quite get the idle right on my truck. Sometimes when it is put in neutral or starting up the RPM is around 2-3000. Turning my A/C on will sometimes overheat my engine and lowers the RPMs dramatically.

Also, when I shut off my engine sometimes it shakes pretty hard and spudders out. I can video tape it if that's not descriptive enough.

With engine off, turn key on then off on off on off. You should hear a light clicking sound from the carb. Does it?

Why, they look fine. 

You have this type of shifter bushing?

720shifter006Large.jpg

Hi Moises, I am sure you already know the stock fuel pump runs continuously that is why there is a fuel return line from carb to tank.  If the after market bump shuts off after building pressure you will end up running lean.

An aftermarket fuel pump was put on when I bought the truck. I'm thinking of going back to stock pretty soon, I feel that it makes the fuel delivery worse. 

I might need more step by step procedures of re-torquing the head bolts and setting the valve lash though I am a beginner at engine work.

I haven't even touched the block yet but I can this weekend, what are things I should tune up? I have noticed a ticking noise lately, valve adjustment?

Hi Moises, I am sure you already know the stock fuel pump runs continuously that is why there is a fuel return line from carb to tank.  If the after market bump shuts off after building pressure you will end up running lean.

Charlie, I think on carbed 720s the pump runs (more or less) continuously because there is a return line with a small orifice so some pressure can be built up against it. If the return line were fully open the gas would just rush back to the tank. The 720 electric pump is governed to produce about 3.5 pounds of pressure and will then shut off until it drops. After market pumps would be similar. Carbs hold more than enough gas in the float chamber to drive for a block or more and certainly enough for the pump to come back on and refill it again. The carb is in little danger of running out or lean. My 720 pump comes on with the key and buzzes quickly for 2-3 seconds, slowing to a chugging sound as pressure builds.