Bruiser! 78 620 KC project

carterb

Nice truck for the young bloke.

Ran SU's and had the new floats you have after a retune were pretty good but often needed to be balanced every few months to make them realy sync well.  

Here in Australia didn't need the choke where I live.

That bed came out real nice!

• Like 1
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heater cores for the 620 are impossible to find as is the radiator. In Canada there is a major manufacturer of radiators and if you're willing to sort through hundreds of listings you can probably find a suitable alternative (amazing just how many different radiators exist). You can follow this link to see what I'm talking about Products (spectrapremium.com) and select Visual Comparison then a range of years.

It doesn't look like they sell radiators into the US market, probably some kind of US industry protectionism thing so you have to find your own manufacturer there, there must be one.

Alternatively you can have one custom made for $$$$.

• Like 2

The crazy thing to me is that the sunny trucks in Japan have the same or a very similar heater core setup to the 620 so you would think heater cores would be pretty easy to find still since they made those pickups through the 90s.. I bought a new radiator for my 620 in about 2016 at oreilly auto parts but now it seems you can’t find them anymore sucks 😞 it’s getting harder and harder to find parts. 

There are odd parts that become obsolete and make it really difficult to keep an older vehicle on the road. Years ago I needed new exhaust "doughnuts" for a 440 powered motorhome and all I could find was gaskets. Finally found some but wasn't easy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Truck stuff...

large.914235517_03252022bruiser.JPG.68a5

PSA - I was taking this front clip down South on I405 and the strap snapped - cut from being stretched over the (apparently sharp) sheet metal.

Fortunately it stayed in the bed - only sliding back to the tail gate, and I was only 100yrds from an off ramp allowing me to remedy the situation.  Lesson:  Don't tighten straps over sharp edges without some protection and/or use more than one strap.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
On 6/15/2017 at 8:55 AM, carterb said:

Well, last night I set out to replace the steering box seal as the girls have a horse show this weekend and I don't want them stranded with a broken box.

I bought a "front end repair kit" at Harbor Freight, one of the pitman arm pullers was just the right size.

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2017_06/large.59429d993f3dc_06142017Bruisersteeringboxseal(1).JPG.cc7e841da749b0ca6feed52c31a121af.JPG

However, being a Harbor Freight tool, the amount of force I was willing to put into the tool was not enough to pop the arm loose.  I tried wedges between the tool and the steering box and also tried hitting the pitman arm with a hammer and a long screwdriver from the top of the engine compartment.  Nothing would make it budge and I didn't want to overstress anything inside the box by going caveman on the thing.  So I cleaned up the everything as good as I could with a rag and got out the propane torch.  After a few minutes of heat application to the pitman arm around the steering box shaft, I re-hung the puller, cranked the bolt, and the arm came right off.

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2017_06/large.59429d9c5fdc0_06142017Bruisersteeringboxseal(2).JPG.7688d481cfed39190b6288fb51393d76.JPG

The seal took a while too, but eventually I persuaded it to come out with a flat screwdriver and some careful prying motions.

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2017_06/large.59429d9d366e8_06142017Bruisersteeringboxseal(3).JPG.06242d6e739b987bf0503510c5ff8288.JPG

New seal in place and seated with a deep socket.

http://datsun510.com/uploads/monthly_2017_06/large.59429d9df26d9_06142017Bruisersteeringboxseal(4).JPG.4ba77c77502c131d7414e6109fc278ac.JPG

I reconnected the arm, torqued the giant nut, filled the box with 90W, cleaned up, and went to bed.

This morning there was not a drip in sight.  VICTORY!!!

Carterb, thank you so much for this! I changed this seal yesterday on my 1979 620 and it everything went smoothly! I followed and studied this post. Now I can drive my Datsun with peace in mind!

• Like 1