510-500 rwh 30 mpg

510six

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently , the L28/30 stroker uses a dual fuel system with 35% of the total fuel being methanol provided via two 1600cc injectors on the intake tubing. The "main" fuel system is gasoline (crappy CA 91 oct) with six 72lb injectors

, the car at 17 psi with the T67 makes 440rwh and about 440 fpt and delivers 24-25 mpg on the freeway.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2071134

The new system will use either 370cc or 240cc injectors on the main gasoline fuel rail, and the fuel milage and idle will improve with the smaller injectors and 87 rather than 91 oct can be used. A second stainless steel fuel rail using six 160lb methanol compatable injectors will be used with two Bosch 044 pumps providing the fuel from a 3 gallon plastic fuel cell. The fuel will switch from gasoline to methanol under boost thanks to the secondary injector control from the AEM EMS which also provides sequetial injection to the main fuel rail. This should provide better power under boost with no intercooler being needed and being able to lean the mixture to 15-1 or so for highway travel and with the .50 overdrive from the six speed should give impressive mileage.

500 rear wheel horsepower with 20-22 psi with the T67 using 90% methanol under boost shouldn`t be a problem

as over 440 rwh was possible with 35% methanol. At the drag strip a small shot of nitrous will be used to make 600 rwh or so.

http://www.msdfuelinjection.com/efi_accessories.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy to run mid 10`s:D

After talking with my engine builder/fuel injection guru. E85 is avalable less than 3 miles from the house and E85 is not as corrosive as methanol and will require a simpler (and cheaper) fuel system. The main reason methanol was used was it`s high octain value and high latent heat of evaporation , ethanol has a lower octain rating and a correspondingly lower ability to take heat out of the intake charge. However, as I am not using an intercooler( I should say I am using a chemical rather than a physical intercooler) E85 at 100% provides actually should cool better than the 35% methanol currently being used. E85 is also 105 octain which is actually better than the numbers with 35% methanol.

Get an inter cooler.(as well) One time buy, no moving parts, nothing to top up, fully automatic operation, finds extra hp for free.

There is really no room for an intercooler, with the methanol temps below ambient are the norm.

faemdrivehib6e4m7ea5ef1bo7.jpg

faemdrivehib6e4m7ea5ef1bo7.bbfc134395.jpg

This is a datalog from the AEM it shows the air temps dropping below 50* on an 80* day @ 14.5 psi with a T67.

• 1 month later...

A pic of a 12 injector N42 intake, now it`s getting the stainless steel fuel rail fabricated and the fuel system plumbed . The new N42 cylinder head is being ported and flowed and the bottom end is at the machine shop, then it`s the small matter of tuning the car .:rolleyes:

n4212injzc4jn0.jpg

w640.png

• 3 months later...

I just got the manifold back from the welder/ machinist the "gasoline" fuel rail is mounted . It was mounted in such a way as to clear the "E85" stainless fuel rail, which has to be mounted to clear the port nitrous system. The fuel/ nitrous system plumbing is going to be a bit involved to say the least.

n42240ccss7.jpg

w640.png

jskmountup8.jpg

w640.png

Here are the flow numbers from the port/chamber work on the N42 head.

headflowchartsl5.jpg

w495.png

• 2 months later...

MEAN!!!!! Frikken MEAN!!!!! Never seen anything like this...at least not in the circles that I cruise. What engine management is going to control the beast? (forgive me if its listed above.)

-Brian

MEAN!!!!! Frikken MEAN!!!!! Never seen anything like this...at least not in the circles that I cruise. What engine management is going to control the beast? (forgive me if its listed above.)

-Brian

The engine managment is AEM, a 1040 computer with a custom wiring harness. AEM has the capability for controll of staged injectors.

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php

can you say holy s#!+ !!! thats awesome man, making that much horsepower and still get good mileage. My dad and I were planning on running a somewhat similar setup but on a new generation chevy small block in our chevy II. how hard is it to do the programming on this type of deal?

can you say holy s#!+ !!! thats awesome man, making that much horsepower and still get good mileage. My dad and I were planning on running a somewhat similar setup but on a new generation chevy small block in our chevy II. how hard is it to do the programming on this type of deal?

The programing and the wiring are quite involved , the AEM "tune" is being done by a good friend of mine. The final tune will be done on the dyno after quite a bit of street tuning .To do a dual fuel system gets expensive with seperate fuel lines pumps, regulator and fuel cell.

• 4 weeks later...

The new motor was started a couple of days ago and will be broken in on a 1-2 psi tune with the AEM , after the motor is broken in the AEM injector driver will be wired into the ECM and the E85 fuel system will be street tuned before finishing up on the dyno.

running5101.jpg

running5102.jpg

Then it's the PITA of plumbing the nitrous around the E85 fuel rail and street tuning it.