rb30 in a 620 ute

Bit of an update:

The engine mounts are done,

The gearbox mount is done,

Plumbing for the radiator is in.

Im currently working on the driveshaft and rebuilding the engine while ive got the resources and time. (found bigend bearings in the sump when i modified it)

But right now ive got 1 big problem and thats with the brakes.

My master is stuffed, my slack adjusters are seized up and im also gonna have to put a brake booster on it for a cert so for this reason its time to upgrade!!

Im wanting to know the combos people are using for there disk brake setups? Or commom replacements?

Disk/caliper/master and booster.....

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on my stock 73 im running z32 26mm calipers, with isuzu rodeo/honda passport rotors, and a custom caliper bracket (made by fellow member beebani)

i did not change up the rear brakes nor upgrade the bmc. 

• 9 months later...

due to lack of funds things have been goin slowly so i thought i should update my progress:

-i had to make a change to the engine mounts befor i take of the cab this should be done this week.

-the cab comes off next week to be paneled and painted matt black.

-i have a davies electronic water pump now for the rear of the ute to keep water flowing to the radiator on the deck when its all up to temp.

im waiting for summer to get here so i can paint the chassi and install everything back in it properly.

my only concern now is where to put a fuel tank as it sits too far forward and fouls on the water pipes. i cant put it on the left hand side cause its not certable and im now thinking about putting it above the spare wheel or shortning the original tank.

This is awesome. I have two 620s that i'm working on. Putting an a15 into one for a daily driver and a GM 3l 4cyl into the other for a bit of fun. 

Where in NZ are you? I'd be keen to check this out.

This is awesome. I have two 620s that i'm working on. Putting an a15 into one for a daily driver and a GM 3l 4cyl into the other for a bit of fun. 

Where in NZ are you? I'd be keen to check this out.

im in hamilton ... pm me ill see what i can do its still a bit of a shambles at the moment and in pieces

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

youve probably gathered that the cab is back and on the chassis all painted and ready to go and summer has been and gone in nz so.....BIG UPDATE ......

i have decided to change my rb30 build and im looking at making a decent power n/a engine for this car for when its finally finished. im going to go with an rb25 head on the rb30 block which is a very common upgrade in nz and basically adds between 20-30kw. the exact setup will remain secret for now but 150++rwkw would be a nice start. this is some thing ive wanted to do for quite some time and ill be doing most of the work myself

but for now to get it all going i thought id have a bit of fun with a $50 rb20e since my carby setup will fit it :P

i acquired an rb20e and swapped all of my rb30 stuff onto it, this is what i  did:

280* cam

14lb flywheel

40mm gfav carb

headers (installing and modifing after initial startup and test)

lightweight and under driven waterpump/alternator pulleys

i machined the front pully for about 5 different reasons none of which were for performance gains.

i ported it with head on so more like a big match port. i opened it a futher 4-5mm diameter with about a 10mm ramp, and cleaned the casting to the valve guide and gave it a light sand to make it look nice (yes i was carefull and clean about it)

i also filled the injector cavities on the head with epoxy so i dont have a low pressure spot just befor the valve and to help everything flow a bit better.

ill be starting this up tomorrow so wish me luck :D

ive also been busy on a few other areas:

drive shaft:

i used a front half of an r32 manual driveshaft and swapped out the center bearing for the 620 bearing. bolted in.

heater:

i found an electric heater panel on ebay to replace my standard heater radiator for that instant hot air (and i didnt trust the pipes that originally came into the cab.)

costs $20 for the element and i just have to make a baffle to hold it in place.

this will slide directly into where the original heater core sits.

brakes:

brake booster from an early 80's toyota with a skyline master in now in the engine bay.

front brakes still need to be done but i have a plan ..... r31 front hubs/disks and calipers with some modificaion to the bearing housing to make it all fit nicely.

cooling:

pipes are in, and the radiator is tied in place with rope.

it just needs to be done properly now and connected in place and inside a box then ill make a deck.

interior:

door cards are in. all leaks have been sealed, dash is in, more to come.....

wiring:

got quite a few extra things to add to the original loom but this will start tomorrow.

(electric waterpump, stereo, engine, alarm, alternator, engine, guages etc etc)

tuning:

im looking at utilising the original knock sensor into a warning light and headphone jack for tuning purposes, also a wideband o2 sensor for fuel ratio when jetting the carb.

ill post some pics soon

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Just another truck build I see a truck get all hacked up and never see it finished.  I keep toying with the idea of an engine swap on my 720 but almost every build page leads to a dead end...

• 3 years later...