rb30 in a 620 ute

hi guys first time poster here looking for some thoughts/help on an idea ive had for quite sometime.

ive got an old 620 ute and im looking at making it into a dedicated skid car.

ive also got an rb30 with carb setup out of my old skyline to drop in it but it does look like a very tight fit.

has anyone done this befor?

or has anyone done something simillar?

id like to hear some of the problems other members have incounted

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a similar thread regarding fitting an L6 engine in a 620. yes it can be done, yes it has been done, but it is difficult

and the main difficulties are that the 6 cylinder is obviously much longer. the 2 options are to big time chop up the fire wall

OR run your radiator in the back of the truck. try to google L6 in 620

thanks for your help dawa

putting the radiator on the deck was always going to happen and I'm not keen to cut the firewall unless I can find a van/navara tail shaft for the column shift.

now all I need is disk brakes and to see if my 720 locked diff fits and hopefully the shifter matches the hole in the floor.

Sized up the engine with the ute today...

I have to cut the radiator shroud at the front atleast 30mm to allow room for the cam cover.

The motor will need to be lifted slightly at the front to allow room for the front pully over the front chassi rail I'm not sure if the bonnet will fit but I'm thinking it will.

I'm hoping for the best with the steering and with the gear stick aligning with the factory hole in the floor ..... Or atleast untill I get an engine crane

I think its funny how any v8 suggestions here get shot down and the poster eaten for breakfast but an L6 which is heavier and fits even worse then said suggested v8s gets support lol. Says a lot... 

I meant look at the oil pan as another reason to not do this. It obviously does not and never will fit, well not without cutting the car. A big no no unless this is a 1/4 mile machine.. There are lots of powerful 4 and V6 engines.

• Like 1

meh. bro(migo,) if you have the drive and the means, i say go for it.

if you cut away at the truck, just reinforce it in those areas and youre good. 

yes, 'this and that' might fit better, but rodders are supposed to work with what they got.

and if you put a gawdamn rb30 in a 620 youll be famous all over the world. do it do it do it!

A v6 or v8 would be cool but I don't have one laying around

At first I was goin to spend about 3k to get all the rust done firewall chopped and paneled/painted and keep it street legal.

The firewall would need at least 200mm chopped and I would still keep my leg room on the drivers side since the intake on an rb is on the righthand/drivers side of the ute and wouldnt foul with any drivers controls on the firewall including handbrake.

I might still do this if I find a column shift tail shaft for the gearbox but for now its goin to be a dedicated skid car so weight balance isn't a problem for now.

The sump is my final concern tho so thanks for reminding me I will most probly cut the sump and change it as I want a winged sump for more oil capacity anyway.

I'm hopefully getting an engine crane this week then ill know for sure exactly what changes will need to be made and weather or not I stll want to do this.

Thanks for all the feed back guys

• 2 weeks later...

just an update:

well it fits in the hole!

after smashing a lip out of the firewall to make the gearbox bellhousing fit and cutting the center out of where the radiator is I got it to sit in place on the stock engine mounts minus rubber.

its a very snug fit, I'm guessing the gearbox is juat like an sr20 and sits nicely at the rear of the torsion arm crossmember, and I will need to dog leg the gearstick not that its far off.

the sump needs cutting at the front and I have 50mm clearence at the front behind the bumper.

just gotta sort engine mounts, mod my exhaust and chuck a radiator on the deck.

once that's done ill figure out the bonnet and I think I might be lucky enuff to fit a stock front half of a skyline driveshaft

i just have my fone for now but ill try an chuck up some photos when its lookin a bit sexier .... tbh its lookin like a sak of shit atm

almost forgot .... even tho the motor sits a little bit high it still fits under bonnet just no bonnet catch ill have to get bonnet pins

• 4 weeks later...

Sized up the engine with the ute today...

I have to cut the radiator shroud at the front atleast 30mm to allow room for the cam cover.

The motor will need to be lifted slightly at the front to allow room for the front pully over the front chassi rail I'm not sure if the bonnet will fit but I'm thinking it will.

I'm hoping for the best with the steering and with the gear stick aligning with the factory hole in the floor ..... Or atleast untill I get an engine crane

notch the front frame cross member

progress update ....

I could have notched it (was my original idea) but it was much easier to cut as much out of the sump as possible which also makes certification for the road a lot easier ;)

i havnt done anything to it for 2 weeks I felt like it was consuming too much of my spare time but I have found a v8 radiator and some v8 engine mounts.

wow that 720 is hot makes me wish I had a wellside deck!!

pics will be posted tonight

Not too detailed like that it's from a shop in Japan called Garage Miniz.

9730403364_62aa6da432_o.jpg

Nissan 720 RB26 by Muerte541, on Flickr

9727174869_5251392b9d_o.jpg

9730404658_8371b2d03d_o.jpg

9727175017_93afc9dd1c_o.jpg

9727174401_2d11eecf40_o.jpg

• Like 1

i suppose i should have a bit of a rant about her so here we go..............

this is the old girl in her former glory about 2 months after I pulled it out of a barn.

I gave it a quick water blast and drive it home with half the exhaust missing and no lights at night :P

its done 72000 original miles 10000 of which were done since 1996  --> http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=gm4585

i paid $500 nz for It and drove it for 6 months everyday to work and beyond.  then it got cold and she didn't like starting in the morning so i put it in the shed and bought a hilux ute.  (worst thing i ever did was buy that damn hilux)

I also know the last 4 owners and saved it from being destroyed as a paddock hack

SAM_0147.jpg

SAM_0151.jpg

SAM_0150.jpg

• Like 1

and here we go these are a few pics just after i did the swap

at this stage the sump isn't done so it has changed a bit but you should get the general idea

2013-08-21084829.jpg

2013-08-21083252.jpg

2013-08-21083344.jpg

so close ......

2013-08-21084841.jpg

theres still a crank pulley to go on there too ....... but yeah hows that for a tight fit!!!

• Like 1