Lil' Red 1970 510

I hate to be negetive but being a high end bodyman/painter i saw things I did'nt like. And I can see things in the final pics. Sorry I'm just super Chip Fooseie and It feels like you wer'nt 100% satisfied  

This is my worst fear with the needed restoration on my Z. I have already spent a lot of money on some parts, and I'm looking at a serious investment for body work. I am so nervous that it won't end up the way I want, but I don't have the skills, tools, or the space to do the work myself. I hope you can get the issues with your paint resolved, because aside from the imperfections we can't see in pics it look stunning.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man I think I just saw this car on Restoration Garage!

Yeah, that was my car. :hmm:

This is my worst fear with the needed restoration on my Z. I have already spent a lot of money on some parts, and I'm looking at a serious investment for body work. I am so nervous that it won't end up the way I want, but I don't have the skills, tools, or the space to do the work myself. I hope you can get the issues with your paint resolved, because aside from the imperfections we can't see in pics it look stunning.

Thanks. From a distance it's a head turner for sure. Unfortunately I'm detailed oriented and small things bother me. My advice in searching for a shop is to talk with other Z owners and find out if there's a recommended garage near you. Do as much research as possible on the shop. Go there and see for yourself. Speak to past customers to get their take on things and see how the work is holding up.  But in the end it's a gamble. There's a shop near me called Whitehead Performance and they specialize in Z cars. I'm not saying you should bring your car to Canada to have them do your body work but they may have far reaching connections and could put you in touch with someone closer to you. You could shoot them an email and wouldn't even have to suffer the long-distance charges. Just a thought.

So I finally have gotten around to installing the vacuum advance back on the electronic dizzy. I had it sitting around for about a month and a half all cleaned up and ready to go back on. Unfortunately I was really busy with work during the days and some freelance work at nights. It's finally back on. I cleaned all the rust off and sprayed a cold galvanizing paint over it to keep it from getting rusty again, or at least slow it down some. Here it is just before installation.........

DSC00804_zpseaa78254.jpg

And finally back on the car. Still need to get a hose to run it over to the Carburetor. All in good time.

DSC00806_zpsa3113c2d.jpg

Next thing to do is drain the oil, finally. There must be a little over 5 liters in there. There should only be about 4.

Okay, so I went out to the car and just before I installed the vacuum advance I checked the door seals because they just don't look like what I've been seeing on-line. These are the Vintage Rubber seals and I think they may have been installed wrong? On top of that they trimmed the rubber seal around the bottom of the door for some reason I can't yet understand. Here's what I'm taking about............

DSC00788_zps024fa00f.jpg

DSC00790_zps50abf091.jpg

DSC00791_zps67bd0f3f.jpg

If you guys could post some pics of your door seals, after market or original, that would be awesome. If some one out there has the Vintage Rubber ones, that would be even better. As you can see from the pics they stick right up and the ones I've been seeing on the internet lay flat. hence why I think they've been installed wrong. Oh and here's something else I found...............

DSC00787_zps10e156b5.jpg

Sorry it's a bit blurred but you get the idea. It's a chip in the paint and seems to have been done with a flat headed screw driver?

After inspecting the door seals I went into the trunk to see what's up. I've been noticing that water has been sitting in there after it rains or I wash it. Either the rear seal for the window didn't seat properly or something else is going on. Well while I was wiping water out of the channel around the trunk where the rubber seal is, I found that the seal didn't seem to be sitting right. I tugged on it with very little strength and it just came up and out leaving a puddle of dirty water in the channel. That didn't seem right to me. I looked closer and the seal was obviously installed backwards. Or at least that's the way it seemed to me. so I turned it around and re-installed it. Seems to be correct. Any one who has experience here please weigh in. I could be wrong but it seems right now. Oh, and should it be glued down in the corners. It seems to want to pull up there. If so, what should I use? Here's some pics.......

DSC00793_zpsd05e2c2d.jpg

DSC00794_zpsfdcf3806.jpg

All of the previous seal material was not removed before painting. I'm not sure how to fix this. I will address this with the shop.

DSC00797_zpsca265a38.jpg

DSC00796_zps6226b100.jpg

And yes that is another chip in the paint.

DSC00801_zpsa1dd4ebc.jpg

DSC00802_zpsa0d12f66.jpg

As you can see the grooved edge that was sticking out before seemed better suited to be installed inside the curled over metal edge around the trunk opening. It seems to fit perfectly too. If it's wrong, let me know. I'm no expert.

i can tell you now those are wrong, there is NO need to cut them in more than one place if at all 

Thanks Adam. I just need to see a correctly installed door seal so I can be sure. Something else I will discuss with the shop.

I went to Youtube to see if there were any videos on installing weather stripping on cars and of course there were lots of them. I found 2 that were extremely useful. The first one is how to apply the sealant properly . The second was how to properly remove and install a new trunk seal. The car used is a Ford I believe but the technique can be applied to any car. So I have my answer to the installation of my trunk seal. It needs to be sealed with a small bead of adhesive. Unfortunately I won't be able to do that until the channel is completely cleaned out.

So, Finally got around to draining the oil. I had initially thought the shop had changed the oil but I'm not sure now. They most certainly put on a new oil filter from CarQuest. I just assumed they put fresh oil in it. When I looked at the oil after draining it out, it was dirty. Especially the last bit! The oil that came out was almost black. Very strange! Any one know if I have a problem that would cause that? I thought I would just put the oil back in that came out, minus a liter or so. Instead I said screw it and went and bought new oil that was on sale. I'll end up dumping it in the spring after it's winter storage. The topper to my day was stepping in the dirty oil I left on floor and forgot it was there. :mad:  Oil every where......Awesome. :no:  I also managed to get a vacuum hose for the advance and hooked that up. Next step is to clean the SU carbs and adjust them. 

DSC00872_zps25584ae3.jpg

That's a 6L oil catch tray. It's close to full!!! :o

DSC00873_zpsae5cb029.jpg

The drain plug seems fine. Next oil change I'll use a new crush washer. I didn`t run the car before I drained it this time around but on my next oil change I will and see how much black gunk comes out. Hopefully there won`t be much left.

Sorry to see that you are finding things like this on your car. That would irritate me beyond belief. I tend to be very detail oriented myself, as a result of working on multi-million dollar helicopters. I want my car built to the same standards as what I work on.

• Like 1

Finally got around to cleaning up the SU carbs. I did a hand polish on the pots as well. Not a mirror finish exactly but it's good enough for me. I'll probably get them rebuilt in a few years any way. They were both fairly dirty inside. I'll see if this helps how it runs.

DSC01180_zpscec0d91e.jpg

This is the rear pot after 800 grit paper, used wet. I went to 2000 grit and then used a metal polish paste.

DSC01181_zps5479560d.jpg

This is the finished front pot waiting to be put back on the carbs.

DSC01183_zps668c9b60.jpg

This is the finished SU set up polished and cleaned inside and out.

DSC01182_zps579ae5d9.jpg

I started with the valve cover but it turned dark and I needed to go in and have something to eat. I'll continue this later.

DSC01184_zpsee377211.jpg

d4491d93-c104-4ce5-8c72-156e8f8db158_zps

All I need now is to refill the pots with 20 weight oil and I think I'll check the float levels. Hopefully she'll be running again in a day or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to fill the pistons inside the vacuum chamber with 20 wt oil. Started the car up and attempted to adjust the carb idle setting. It was idling a little higher than I wanted but it was running much better. I did all this about a week and a half ago. Today I put the air breather back on. I also put some STA-BIL in the tank to get ready for storage in the garage. I strip the paint of the battery hold down and I will be repairing some acid damage with JB Weld metal epoxy putty. More on that later. Oh yeah...I took off the light surround trim pieces and sanded the crap off them. They cleaned up like new. I used a good metal polish on them and now they gleam. Couldn't stop there. I went and bought some stainless screws to hold them on the car with, replacing the rusting metal ones. Unfortunately one of the stainless screws ended up stripped. Turns out one of the clips that the trim screws into was a tad bit smaller than the rest. I'll have to fix that up later.

I threw the battery back in today and went for a ride to see how she runs. Started out great but by the time i got home it was running poorly. I'm convinced the timing is off. I don't have the equipment to check it  and it's getting colder here any way. It'll need to be in storage in another month or so to avoid the salt and snow. I'll get it tuned up next year for sure.

Here are some oics after the drive. I wanted to check to make sure the transmission is what the PO said it was...........

DSC01751_zps5be8bbe2.jpg

Sure enough, you can see the 63A on the housing. So with out a doubt it's a FS 5W63A tranny.

DSC01752_zpscc5f6f0a.jpg

DSC01754_zpse32198d5.jpg

Some engine oics. I'm slowly getting it cleaned up in there.

• 1 month later...

Okay it's been a while but I'm not slacking off.....it's just f'ing cold out. Today it was -9 with a wind chill that made it feel like -15. But here's some pics of my 510 sleeping in the garage............ 

1d2a4183-8e21-440b-848c-1e927e97c26d_zps

5bc6d8e3-8243-4124-a4e8-cc0f0667abe1_zps

I still have a few smaller projects in mind to keep me working on it so I don't get lazy. Hopefully I'll have pics of that in the new year. Merry Christmas.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I had a sit down with the new general manager at the shop the restoration work was done at. The previous manager was fired for his conduct. It all makes sense now and the shop is willing to make all the issues with my car right. Once I'm ready, in the coming spring, they'll get the car in the garage and get it fixed up.

• 9 months later...

After inspecting the door seals I went into the trunk to see what's up. I've been noticing that water has been sitting in there after it rains or I wash it. Either the rear seal for the window didn't seat properly or something else is going on. Well while I was wiping water out of the channel around the trunk where the rubber seal is, I found that the seal didn't seem to be sitting right. I tugged on it with very little strength and it just came up and out leaving a puddle of dirty water in the channel. That didn't seem right to me. I looked closer and the seal was obviously installed backwards. Or at least that's the way it seemed to me. so I turned it around and re-installed it. Seems to be correct. Any one who has experience here please weigh in. I could be wrong but it seems right now. Oh, and should it be glued down in the corners. It seems to want to pull up there. If so, what should I use? Here's some pics.......

DSC00793_zpsd05e2c2d.jpg

DSC00794_zpsfdcf3806.jpg

All of the previous seal material was not removed before painting. I'm not sure how to fix this. I will address this with the shop.

DSC00797_zpsca265a38.jpg

DSC00796_zps6226b100.jpg

And yes that is another chip in the paint.

DSC00801_zpsa1dd4ebc.jpg

DSC00802_zpsa0d12f66.jpg

As you can see the grooved edge that was sticking out before seemed better suited to be installed inside the curled over metal edge around the trunk opening. It seems to fit perfectly too. If it's wrong, let me know. I'm no expert.

Wow!!!! I have seen those guys on TV what a bunch of hacks,,,,and they do restorations?!?!? they should be working at a meat market because they look like a bunch of butchers, Sorry that you have to go through all the rework, it really pisses me off that a shop lets crap like that go out of there shop, good luck with your build. Love the color,,,=)

• 1 year later...

Caught the episode of Restoration Garage on rerun today. After seeing the missing trim piece on the hood when the build was complete and a completely different color red I felt something was off with the work. I hope you were able to get things resolved. How is the rest of your build going?