Salvage Yard 610 - "Anita"

EdwardK

Alright two questions.

The first, has anybody tried 300zx (z31) struts? I've found two of those in one of my local scrap yards and I've been eyeballing 'em.

The second.

Anybody want an A/C for a 610? I don't really want it. The rest of the engine I'm keeping as a spare for my truck, so don't ask for it. Just the A/C related stuff. (Switch, compressor, any mounting hardware, etc.)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Got the dime down to the workshop today. Took about three hours to move the car roughly four hundred feet using elbow grease and some chain hoists. (No way to tow the vehicle down to the shop without getting the tow vehicle stuck. Working on a turn-around down there.)

1-DSC06359_zps7f249903.jpg?t=1390664433

Also took the hood off and started getting the L18 ready to be pulled. I'd already have it out if it wasn't so blasted cold. (Southern boy complaining about the cold please ignore. lol)

2-DSC06360_zpsacc01ee3.jpg

The rear tires would hold air when rolled to the right spot. So, we managed to roll it until one tire went flat and then usually we could pump up the other. I'm so lucky the shop was mostly downhill. I have a video of us using the chain hoist to pull it into the shop. I just need to turn it into a time lapse and I'll post it up. lol

1-DSC06349_zpsfb145266.jpg

More coming soon.

OKAY!

How do the fenders come off? I have all the bolts of the front and tops of the fenders but find no bolts holding the rear of the fenders on.

Uhh help? lol

Also, looks like this Datty has been wrecked before. Fender has been replaced and there is some minor damage to the frame. I'll get some pics once the fenders come off.

Down below where the trim covers the bottom of the front fender, there should be 2 bolts holding down there. The trim covers the access holes. Beware: More times than not, I've found these bolts to be rounded or corroded off, so make accomodations and expect to do some extracting of broken fasteners..

1-DSC01117_zps279674dd.jpg?t=1390665782

By the way, I LOVE this pic.

Down below where the trim covers the bottom of the front fender, there should be 2 bolts holding down there. The trim covers the access holes. Beware: More times than not, I've found these bolts to be rounded or corroded off, so make accomidations and expect to do some extracting of broken fasteners..

By the way, I LOVE this pic.

Thank you! I had to (carefully) drill the head out of one of the bolts, but none of the others gave me any problem.

And thanks again. :D

Whelp.

I found a full 280zx nearby... It's in good shape sadly. But it's also dirt cheap, so the plan is to buy it, strip the suspension and brakes out of it.... Find another suspension and brake set for it... and... do something with it... Not entirely sure about it yet.

But anyway, I've got a suspension system. Unless by some freakish reason the guy sells the car out from under me.

Well, I was gonna go pick up that 280ZX this weekend. But the bank says I can't access my money on weekends apparently... Oi...

So instead I got a little work done on the car and the engine. (As well as some stuff done on an 'extracurricular' project.)

I've been pulling some measurements trying to envision how this engine is going to fit.... aaannnd... Am I tripping? Or can that cross-member be flipped around backward to allow my oil pan to fit?

1-DSC06534_zpsd7a28e55.jpg?t=1391982137

Seriously... It looks like it can be... (Crosses fingers.)

Also got most of the front-end stripped down. Gonna clean the mud and dirt off and at least apply a liberal coating of POR51 or something. Definitely gonna repaint the whole car sometime... But that'll probably happen next year or the year after to be honest.

Also... I absolutely loath these type jacking points... :sneaky:

2-DSC06535_zps055dfb75.jpg?t=1391982163

Pulled the old motor out and this is where it sits now. Gonna rebuild it for use as a backup for the Tofumobile.

3-DSC06536_zpsd217a138.jpg?t=1391982167

Artistic shot. :P Not much to say other than I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to get a different down-pipe or whatever it's called. Looks like it'll interfere with the steering box.

1-DSC06537_zps084f1844.jpg?t=1391982154

a/c and p/s removed from the engine. Don't really plan to do anything else to this motor, just run it as is. Not like I want to incinerate my tires.(Roasting is okay.)

4-DSC06538_zps0b3c1b03.jpg?t=1391982185

But yeah... About that cross-member... Can it be flipped? :confused:

But yeah... About that cross-member... Can it be flipped? :confused:

Sure. But it's going to move your motor mounts forward, and put your control arms on the wrong side of the crossmember.   B)

On a 610, it's a lot easier to just cut out the center and weld it back in backwards.  :thumbup:

In order to "just flip it around", you need to remove the sleeves the LCA bolts go into and reinstall them backwards (cut and weld), then weld on some new material to the top to bolt the engine brackets to in their new spot.  This is feasible, but more work than a quick cut and weld on the center section. 

Also, in case you weren't aware, you'll need a new sway bar as well. That stock bar won't clear the CA pan.

Sure. But it's going to move your motor mounts forward, and put your control arms on the wrong side of the crossmember.   B)

On a 610, it's a lot easier to just cut out the center and weld it back in backwards.  :thumbup:

In order to "just flip it around", you need to remove the sleeves the LCA bolts go into and reinstall them backwards (cut and weld), then weld on some new material to the top to bolt the engine brackets to in their new spot.  This is feasible, but more work than a quick cut and weld on the center section. 

Also, in case you weren't aware, you'll need a new sway bar as well. That stock bar won't clear the CA pan.

SEE, and this is the reason I ask before I do anything. Thank you!

I was also not aware the sway bar wouldn't clear... I don't suppose there are any aftermarket bars that fit? Or am I gonna have to fab one up?

I have pictures of what a flipped 610 crossmember looks like in my build thread if you're interested in seeing what one looks like.

Which build thread? The Turtle Power one? 

I don't suppose there are any aftermarket bars that fit? Or am I gonna have to fab one up?

There are several aftermarket bars that will fit. 

These guys... http://maddat.com.au/180b.php

These guys... http://www.datsport.com/product-menu.html

Maybe these guys? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-ANTI-SWAY-BAR-68-73-DATSUN-510-FRONT-REAR-/190899876943?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7284f44f

I know Quickor in Oregon made one for a 510, should work on a 610? If a 510 works...

These guys... http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_DATSUN+510+SR-KA+mount+kit

• Like 1

There are several aftermarket bars that will fit. 

These guys... http://maddat.com.au/180b.php

These guys... http://www.datsport.com/product-menu.html

Maybe these guys? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-ANTI-SWAY-BAR-68-73-DATSUN-510-FRONT-REAR-/190899876943?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7284f44f

I know Quickor in Oregon made one for a 510, should work on a 610? If a 510 works...

These guys... http://mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_DATSUN+510+SR-KA+mount+kit

Thanks for those!

Though.... I think I'll just get a mechanic I know to help me fab up some custom ones. Probably be cheaper that way. lol

On a different note,

Got the suspension donor today! Been working on firing it up. :P

I think it's funny how the sports car is bigger than the truck...

2-DSC06630_zpsd372fc20.jpg

• 6 months later...

Dang... It's been a while eh?

Finally got the time to get back into the workshop with the 610, I've got the transmission mounted in place now, I'm wondering if I can just trim the shoulder off the drive shaft to make it fit... 'Cause, it looks perfect...

On the other hand, there was no modification done to the transmission mounts, it all just fit in there like a glove... Weird...

Suspension and brake upgrades are gonna have to wait unfortunately as I've got moved into a much lower paying job. Also, kinda sorta gave the 280zx to my brother, so I can't use that as a donor anymore... However, I don't think it'll be a problem, the weight difference shouldn't be any worse than having a fat person in the passenger seat. The power difference though... I guess I'll just baby it until I get the suspension and brakes swapped.

Does anyone know if I need to change my turbo manifold to get it to clear the steering box? I haven't tried to test fit the motor yet, but my measurements say it's gonna be freakin' close...