Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slow and steady progress - trying to get out in the garage a few hours every week.

My work to seal up the interior paid off- you still smell like you've been driving a moped when you roll around in this thing, but your eyes don't water at every stop light- I'll call that a win!

Victor and I rolled out to the monthly Sacramento Datsun meet in Rancho Cordova- here's a short video of the car rolling home:

The club was doing a toy run last Saturday in Folsom, so we rolled out to that as well- Datslocos came through too, so there were a total of over 30 Datsuns in the show!  Pretty cool to see our stuff parked next to all the hot rods and other customs out there, and it looks like they got a bunch of toys and other donations for charity.

I put the hood back on my car, so this was its first show with that installed...  I didn't have bolts that were the correct length, so I spaced the hell out of the back of it temporarily.

635.jpeg

636.jpeg

638.jpg

After that show, I have come to terms with running a hood, but it needs to fit, it needs to stay up without a piece of all-thread as a prop rod, and the underside needs to be NOT ORANGE.

So this week I took care of that stuff.

639.jpeg

Blacked out the underside of the hood, got new hardware, and picked up some struts to install on the hinges.

I had to make some brackets to mount on my new fender supports, but it turned out great.  They hold the hood up solidly, but they're also easy to pull down when it's time to roll.  I still need to dick around with the hinges to get the hood sitting flush along the cowl, but it's close enough for now.

640.jpeg

Maybe this week I'll get under the car to inspect the diff.  I seem to keep finding other projects to work on instead- can you tell I'm really excited to mess with it?

• Like 4

Yeah man will do! Quick question about your wiring. W

Hit me up sometime!  I'd love to catch up.

hat wire kit did you use for your rewire? I looked through all the posts but did not find any mention of it other than you baught a new wire kit. LOL. 'Cause I'm looking for possibilities for my new project and want some different wiring system...

• Like 1

I really love that firewall. I haven't had a chance to dig through the thread yet, but I'm hoping that when I do I uncover more details about it.

Read through the whole thread when you have a chance- the firewall and floors are some of my favorite parts of this car!

Yeah man will do! Quick question about your wiring. What wire kit did you use for your rewire? I looked through all the posts but did not find any mention of it other than you baught a new wire kit. LOL. 'Cause I'm looking for possibilities for my new project and want some different wiring system...

http://www.haywireinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=191/category_id=2/mode=prod/prd191.htm

This is a really minimal wiring package designed for T buckets and hot rods, so it was perfect for my needs.  Came with fusible links, connectors, and some pretty good instructions too.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I've kept this thing stock for almost five years now, and I think it's staying that way.  It's just too good for long drives!

Maybe "SHE TOW" for the plate...

Guaranteed that's not the first time you've thought about that number plate, and its perfect by the way!!

• Like 1

It would still tow with air ride.

Just saying...   B)

I know it.  I've actually got the bags inside the coils out back, connected to the factory air assist system.  I just want ONE car that stays super reliable and stock-ish... for now, anyway!

• 4 weeks later...

Shit DAMN!!! That's the coolest rat Dime I've ever seen. :w00t:

When I frist started reading this thread I was all about restoration, but that would have F'ed this car up a tree. The shell is rolling history, but the chassis it's riding on is straight up brute force sexy. You nailed it on every level and managed to bring the importance of this car to it's highest purpose. Mad respect from an old fart. 

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/07/wekfest-san-jose-going-big-in-the-bay/

The 510 took Top Import at Wekfest San Jose!  All of the cars there were amazing, and to take that trophy was a huge honor.

I've done a few things to the car since my last post- I'll try to get a proper update together.

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

I finally got around to hooking up the 2-step rev limiter - just in time for a car show last weekend!

Other than that I haven't done much to the car- just enjoying it when the temperature doesn't have three digits.  After show season I've got a few plans- gonna change up the suspension a bit to make it more fun to drive, seal up the interior a bit better, and MAYBE do some motor work...  we'll see!

Here are some photos from the Raceworz show:

650-2.jpg

651-2.jpg

652-2.jpg

653-2.jpg

654-2.jpg

I LOVE it when models pose in front of the car!  LOL

655-2.jpg

I took home Best Classic - the trophy has a silhouette of a Hakosuka on it, so if you squint just right you can pretend it's a 510!  

650-2.jpeg

• Like 6

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/07/wekfest-san-jose-going-big-in-the-bay/

The 510 took Top Import at Wekfest San Jose!  All of the cars there were amazing, and to take that trophy was a huge honor.

I've done a few things to the car since my last post- I'll try to get a proper update together.

Very much deserved, although painfully obvious 90% of what this car is sailed clear over the writer's head. The judges sure as hell got it though.  :thumbup:

• Like 1