Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Consider it nailed! wow..

The true test will be when it's all bolted down. :)

The good news (for this purpose, anyway) is that the doors and the rest of the car already don't match- it looks like the doors spent time inside while the car was left in the field, so even if the new fender isn't 100% right it'll end up working with the rest of the car anyway... Low stress!

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of feaux patina, but that is just awesome. I was confused by the fender picture at first.

bravo.

I'm not either.  I said from the start that this car was just going to stay the way I found it until I was ready to tear it down and repair it properly... but plans change, right?

I saw a few trucks come through my shop that had panels repaired and "faux" finished the same way, and I think if it's done tastefully it enhances the overall look.  I guess my head went to the cars I'd seen with fake rust holes, bare metal left to rust, etc. that kind of over-did the patina thing.

In any case, I'm super excited about it!

• Like 2

I'm not either.  I said from the start that this car was just going to stay the way I found it until I was ready to tear it down and repair it properly... but plans change, right?

I saw a few trucks come through my shop that had panels repaired and "faux" finished the same way, and I think if it's done tastefully it enhances the overall look.  I guess my head went to the cars I'd seen with fake rust holes, bare metal left to rust, etc. that kind of over-did the patina thing.

Or that brand new beetle that was floating around the internet for awhile with a fake patina job and smoothies.... yuckie.

1501142_950718814954392_7307151071414825

• Like 1

Or that brand new beetle that was floating around the internet for awhile with a fake patina job and smoothies.... yuckie.

1501142_950718814954392_7307151071414825

Yeah, not my thing.  Definitely stands out in a crowd of them with stock paint, but I think what really bugs me about that is the "rust" on the plastic bumpers...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow and steady progress.  Engine is back in- cleaned up the frame and suspension while it was out, since a couple of small oil leaks managed to make a mess of everything already.

One issue I had found was that my exhaust, even with the wrap on it, was way too hot for the paint on the firewall:

605.jpeg

I scraped the bubbled paint off, sanded and feathered it a bit, and covered it in DEI reflective heat barrier.  I have a feeling this stuff won't hold up over time, but it was super cheap and will be easy to re-do later down the road.  I have a template laid out for a bezel, so don't sweat me on the funky cut along the edge!

606.jpeg

With that finished, I was able to get the engine back in place.  The clearance for the header is ridiculously tight everywhere, so the process to get it snaked down along the frame rail and bolted to the engine is a bit of a dance.  Now that I've done it a few times I think I've got it down.

607.jpeg

Yeah, that's a cheap ratchet strap on my hoist.  This engine only weighs about 200 pounds with everything stripped off of it, so I took a chance.

With the engine bolted to the trans and bolted down on its mounts, I was able to get the exhaust and intake put back together today.  So far it's coming along smoothly- hoping to have it ready to fire this weekend.

608.jpeg

From there, finish the brake upgrades, get the height sensors installed, build trunk panels, sand and clear coat the interior, add gauges....  shit- when is SEMA again?

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

It was a busy weekend, but we're a lot closer to having the car back on the road!

Last week, I got the rear brakes upgraded.  The original 240sx disc brake conversion worked fine, but with the Wilwood upgrade going in up front I wanted the rear to match.

Here's the dual caliper bracket installed:

610.jpeg

And here's everything together:

611.jpeg

The second caliper will get plumbed to a dedicated drift brake, when I get around to that and feel like crashing.

With that taken care of, I got the front and rear height sensors installed for the air suspension.  The system I was running before used air pressure readings to set ride height- that works OK, but can't compensate for changes in load, such as when a passenger is in the car or the gas tank is full.  By installing height sensors at each corner, the computer reads the actual position of your suspension arms to dial in ride height- WAY more accurate!  I found spots for the front and rear sensors that have plenty of travel with no chance of over-extending or getting damaged:

612.jpeg

I also picked up most of the front end sheetmetal last week, and finally got a chance to install it.  I still need to run down and get the spook, cowl and hood, but the radiator support was the main thing I needed to get the car running again.

613.jpeg

The paint isn't a perfect match, but it's a lot better than the green panels that were on there before.  I'm going to keep rubbing them down with handfulls of dirt and used motor oil to blend them a bit better, but I'm stoked so far!

614.jpeg

One fun note: the stripe on the car is about 1/8" wider on the passenger side than the driver side!  So when my painter matched the two fenders, the new fender doesn't match the door perfectly!  It doesn't bug me much, but he HATES it- so I guess it'll be going back down to him at some point for a re-do.

I finished up the front brake conversion (which was a BITCH), got everything reassembled, and was finally able to fire the car back up on Friday.  I'm happy to report that the engine is stronger than ever- started right up, no smoking, no weird noises.  

I still need to find a diff stub and half shaft to get the rear end back together, and then I'll be ready to take it out on the road again!

615.jpeg

For now, I'm just really happy to have it back down off the jack stands.

616.jpeg

• Like 6