Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This car is so nice I literally can't think of the right word to describe it. Bad ass isn't enough.

Any idea what model the roof rack is? I'm looking to get one for my 710, have no idea where to start.

It's s Yakima. I've got the same one.

• Like 1

Not really a model.. but the mounts are different per vehicle. You want the rain gutter style q towers and then whatever length of crossbars you prefer. Wind fairing is optional but adds form and function.

526.jpeg

So I asked on the book of face and will ask again here... :lol:

Any more pics of that flatbed? It looks very intriguing. :cool:

That's Miles' latest project- the "Baller Hauler".  You can find him on Instagram as @shortrodeo - he has some more build photos there.

Basically, it's a mid-90s Isuzu NPR, with the rear axle moved back about 18" (I think), 'bagged with a custom link setup front and rear, sitting on modified semi truck wheels with one-off adapters.  Still dialing in the suspension, then he'll get the deck set up- it'll be on a hydraulic tilt to make loading his cars as easy as possible.

• Like 5

Slowly but surely I'm getting this thing dialed in.  Adjusted the timing and played around with the carb a bit, so now it idles happily and feels snappy coming off idle.  

Had a couple of oil leaks in the cooler lines- one bad crush washer and one fitting that wasn't engaging the hose properly.  Got those fixed so now my spook isn't an oil collector!

Just about ready for the show this weekend!

• Like 5

Sunday I drove out to Roseville for "Euro Sunday" - kind of like a Cars and Coffee type of thing with a bunch of exotics and classic european cars.

I didn't quite fit in, but I still ended up talking to a bunch of people!

542.jpeg

543.jpeg

The car made the 20 mile round trip with no problems at all- still trying to dial in the carb, but I'll get it soon enough.

• Like 7

This weekend was my "trial by fire" - I drove the 510 a total of 40 miles for the Socios Car Show on Sunday!

Last week I finally got the carburetor pulled apart and ordered the correct jets - even though I bought this one from someone who claimed to be running it on a rotary, the main jets, air correction jets, and the needle valve were all about 1/3 smaller than Racing Beat's recommended settings! That explains why it ran out of fuel at higher RPMs!

I ordered the correct sizes from Racing Beat, got them installed, and HO-LEE CRAP, what a difference!  I still don't have a tach installed, but I've got to be getting close to my 8500 setting on the MSD box, and it STILL wants to keep pulling!

So, after a thorough nut and bolt check on the car, we rolled out Sunday morning for the show.  My fuel pressure regulator decided to start over-fueling the carb halfway there- IDAs are sensitive to pressure, so if you're too high it'll start flooding the car.  Fortunately a quick adjustment had it running fine again.  I may change to a return-type regulator, as I've heard they're a bit more reliable.

The turnout is always huge for this show- mostly lowriders, but there's always a good mix of other cars too.  Total car count was just over 500 entries, so there was plenty to look at all day.  I rolled out with my friends Miles and Matt- Miles' Rodeo always draws a crowd:

544.jpeg

But the 510 got plenty of attention, too- I didn't take home a trophy, but we had a great time and saw some incredible cars and trucks.

545.jpeg

When we finally left the show at around 7 PM, it was still over 90 degrees... I haven't had the car out in the heat, and a 20 mile drive home had me a bit worried about heat soak, but it performed excellently the whole way!  Oil pressure stayed solid, and the temp stayed just over 200 on the gauge- about 5 degrees higher than my earlier drives, but if it's staying constant I won't complain.

Here's a couple of rolling shots taken by Matt as we cruised home:

546.jpeg

547.jpeg

They said I blew past them at around 80 at a couple of points, so I'd say we're getting closer to having the car dialed in!

Here's a GoPro video from the drive home- cut down from 30 minutes of footage to just some of the highlights.

• Like 12

looks so good, Ride hight looks sick too.

I remember seeing the old photos of the Rodeo in the build before it was white in MiniTruckin, seems like a lifetime ago. 

Miles' Rodeo is such a spectacle- anywhere you go with it, people are taking pictures, staring, talking about it.  It demands attention, to the point where anything parked next to it just disappears... which can be frustrating when YOU'RE the one parked next to it! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been a couple weeks since my last update- I've just been driving it around town to local car meets, fine-tuning a few things, and just enjoying having it on the road!  I'm happy to say there haven't been any major issues- a couple of times I've had to pull over and adjust the idle on the carb, and I had a bolt fall off while I was driving home the other day- nothing that's put me on the bike, thank goodness!

Parked next to Miles' Rodeo at a small "cars & coffee" thing in Carmichael:

548.jpeg

I drove it to work once- the heat around here has kept me from wanting to sit in traffic on the way home, so most days I drive the Mini instead:

549.jpeg

550.jpeg

I finally got tired of smelling like 2-stroke exhaust every time I drive, so I cut some side panels for the interior quarters and installed a T3 package tray panel. It made the interior a lot quieter, and the smell has been reduced as well.  I still need to adjust the fit of everything and put some foam gaskets behind the panels for a proper seal, but I'm already happy with the result.

551.jpeg

By the way- if you have a roll cage installed, get ready for fun if you want to put one of those package tray panels in your car!  I had to pull one of my pop-out windows to get that fucker in there!!

Air Lift Performance was kind enough to send one of their new air management systems to me, so I got that installed last weekend:

552.jpeg

Their 3P and 3H systems use a manifold with an ECU built-in, and everything comes pre-wired, so it's just a matter of connecting battery power and ground, an ignition lead, two wires to your air compressor, and your lines- super easy stuff!  Their new controller has a full-color digital display to show pressure reading for each corner and the tank, all of the menu functions, etc. It also has Bluetooth built-in, so you can connect your phone to it and control your airbags wirelessly!  I already had their older system installed, and I was very happy with it, but this is even better!

Last Saturday, we rolled out to the Folsom Cars and Coffee - this time Victor came out with his '68 Wagon, too!

554.jpeg

553.jpeg

We definitely stand out at these things- tons of classic muscle cars and new exotics, and we pull up with these full-custom rides...  it's a lot of fun!

Last piece of news to get us caught up- my new license plates came in!!

557.jpeg

Y'know- my Mini Cooper- yeah, She Low...  But my 510? She Lowr!

558.jpeg

• Like 19

Looking good.

Is that the Starbucks in the Bel Air shopping center? I didn't know they did a cars & coffee.

I don't know if there's a Bel Air in there- it's on the corner of Manzanita and Cypress, with the Ace Hardware tucked in the corner.

There's a local rod club that puts it on- they said they usually have around 30-50 cars out there, but another show that day made this one pretty small.

• Like 1