Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

The floor mounted pedal box is a fantastic idea. IMHO, its the way it should be (but I'm an aircooled VW nerd). Love the feeling, on-foot, of the floor levers! 

I've never had a car with floor mounts, but I think it will look really cool with a bunch of braided lines coming up from there- very race-car.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday I got some more garage time - a couple hours a day makes for quick progress!

I built an aluminum bracket to hold my ignition coils- the one I had made previously didn't look proper, and I'd rather have the MSD box under the dash.  The spark plug wires are done, too, so now I just need to mount the MSD and run wiring to everything.

The fuel pressure regulator is mounted, and I've started plumbing it.  I had to make a new bracket for it that spaces it up and out a bit farther, since the one it came with has the inlet a little too close to the firewall.

496.jpeg

497.jpeg

If I can keep momentum going I may be ready to fire this thing up in another week or so!

• Like 9

Yesterday I got some more garage time - a couple hours a day makes for quick progress!

I haven't gone direct fire yet. Looks great!

I built an aluminum bracket to hold my ignition coils- the one I had made previously didn't look proper, and I'd rather have the MSD box under the dash. The spark plug wires are done, too, so now I just need to mount the MSD and run wiring to everything.

The fuel pressure regulator is mounted, and I've started plumbing it. I had to make a new bracket for it that spaces it up and out a bit farther, since the one it came with has the inlet a little too close to the firewall.

496.jpeg

497.jpeg

If I can keep momentum going I may be ready to fire this thing up in another week or so!

I haven't gone Direct fire yet set up looks great !

From everything I've read it seems fairly unnecessary until you start going with aggressive porting and really high RPMs, but I figured since I plan to go that route eventually I might as well set the ignition up now.  Plus, it's fun to explain why there's three coils under the hood!

• Like 1

I do not know too much about brake setups. Why is there 3 masters? You have Toyota pickup front disks and callipers? 

One master for the clutch, then one each for front and rear brakes.  On REAL race car systems there is a balance bar between the front and rear that's adjustable to set bias- on mine I don't think I'll have room for that, so I'll just run an adjustable proportioning valve elsewhere.

Front is Toyota pickup (Hilux) rotors and calipers, and the rear is 240sx.

• Like 1

I spent most of Saturday either working on the car or running around town collecting parts.  Didn't get as far as I'd hoped, but everything I accomplished turned out the way I wanted, so I'll call it a win.

First off, I had to put the car up on stands, as much as I hate to have it sitting so high!

500.jpeg

The first big project was fuel line routing.  The car has 4" tall frame rails running front to back, but there's still a bunch of moving parts, hot exhaust, etc. to be careful to avoid.  I ended up running the line into the transmission tunnel, down to the driver side frame rail, then back to the cell.  I'm using -6 line and fittings, and it's secured to the frame with insulated clamps.  Rather than just use self-tapping screws, I put 1/4-20 nut-serts in the frame so it'll be easy to add other clamps to the same point.

501.jpeg

502.jpeg

The fuel pump is mounted to the frame rail in front of the cell and under my air tank, and I've got in-line filters before and after it.  I also installed a rollover vent and ran a fitting down the side of the cell in case anything decides to slosh out.

503.jpeg

Now it's on to wiring!  I picked up a harness kit that should do everything I need- just need to sort out some of the routing, eliminate some unnecessary wires, and start running it.  After that, just a few small details and I'm ready to fire it up!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Wiring is a pain in my ass, and it takes a long time.

Since pretty much everything is visible in the engine bay, interior, and trunk, I'm trying to be meticulous with my wire routing.  Fortunately there's not much to connect, but it still gets out of hand quickly!

I decided to mount the MSD box and fuse panel behind the glove box door.  The roll cage already required cutting the box out, so I just cut and bent a piece of sheetmetal for them to mount onto that I welded to the cage.

505.jpeg

Now that the fuse panel is mounted, I can cut wires to length and terminate them.  I'm routing the wire harness from under the dash though the cowl drain tubes into the cowl.  I won't be running wipers anyway, so this gets me from the interior to the exterior without making any new holes.  To get out to the engine bay from the cowl, I added a flanged grommet  where the wiper motor used to be- everything should originate from that point and go out to the engine and front end.

506.jpeg

Once all of the wire lengths are figured out, I'll loom it all up and get connectors on everything.  I'm still not certain how I'm going to route my wiring to the rear of the car, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Last weekend the car just sat while I visited my parents, but this weekend I should be in the garage both days!  Hoping I can post a bunch of progress pics soon!

• Like 5

This is the cleanest "ratty" car I've ever seen, I really dig it. The amount of fab work on this is insane. Keep it up!

Edit: I said damn near the same shit at the beginning of this thread. Lol.

Thanks- I'll take it any time you want to say it!

My goal was to leave everything ratty that I wasn't modifying, but build everything else to a high standard.  So far it's coming together as I envisioned!

• Like 1

I spent all weekend on the car. 

I THOUGHT I'd just be working on wiring, but you know how that goes...

I still needed to measure up for the core support bracing, so I pulled a fender to get that done.  While the fender was off, I figured I'd get the oil cooler lines finished up since I had more access. Then I had to modify my headlight housings to accept the new LED bulbs I bought.  One thing always leads to another!

But in the end, I was able to put about 12 hours into the car over Saturday and Sunday.  Front end is all back together, under-hood wiring is complete, trunk wiring is complete, and the dash wiring is all installed and just needs to be tied up and loomed.

Here's a shot of the engine bay:

507.jpeg

I hid as much as I could, but there aren't many hiding places with everything out in the open like this!

Anyway, with wiring completed and tested, I guess that just left one thing on my checklist for the weekend:

IT LIVES!!  I had to adjust the float because it was overflowing, and as you can see the front of the alternator pulley decided not to stay pressed on.  But otherwise it just fired right up!!  Sounds healthy, and my garage still smells like oily exhaust fumes this morning.

Next up- brakes and clutch.  Datslocos show crunch time!

• Like 8

Hard to calm the noise of a rotary your neighbors gonna hate you lol

I'm sure they already do!

Actually, I always try to be respectful- the 510 won't be my daily driver, so I think they'll be ok with some occasional noise.

• Like 2

Baby steps now.  I got some radiator hoses to fit my setup (guess how that went with the counter guy at O'Reilly- "what's it going on?"  Ugh.)

Filled the trans and rear diff, and wired up the fan so I could run it for a bit.  I got it to idle nicely once it's warmed up, and oil pressure/water temp stayed very happy through the whole process.  

With that out of the way, I'm going to get the brake and clutch plumbing moving along.  Got a nice care package coming in tomorrow from Summit that should have all of the fittings I need- once that's dialed I can order brake hoses and get this thing on the road!

508.jpeg

• Like 4