Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be a nice twist with a factory dash.

Factory dash is definitely going back in.  Not factory gauges, and no radio... and the inside of the glove box had to be cut out to clear the cage...

Alright- SOME of the factory dash is definitely going back in!

• Like 2

I cant wait to see this on the road 

it will be one bad ass 510 on the outside 

and completely custom frame/floors/ suspension/etc on the inside 

I can't wait, either!  I've made a few overly ambitious predictions in the past, but I'm pretty sure it'll be at the Datslocos show in Manteca this year!

• Like 3

Thanks so much!

You better believe it- I'll be going to every meet-up I can once this thing hits the road.

get Riley out there with his z too  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I have only seen it in a magazine 

• Like 2

get Riley out there with his z too  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I have only seen it in a magazine 

I feel like I'm his agent lately!  Someone else told me to get him to bring his '49 Chevy pickup out to a show this weekend.  Friggin' rock stars, man...

• Like 1

Got the header and center section of the exhaust wrapped.  Hopefully it'll keep some heat out of the floor and firewall, and keep from melting my upper control arm bushings!

461.jpeg

462.jpeg

Not quite pro-level, but it should get the job done.  I learned a lot, so if I ever have to do this again it'll turn out better.

Other than that, I'm just stacking parts.  New bushings, bearings, seals, and stub axle nuts showed up for the rear arms this week, so when powder coating is done I can get the suspension reassembled with new parts.  I already have new bushings, bearings, and seals up front, so hopefully I'm getting close to the end of the spending!

• Like 3

Finally signed up to comment on some of these awesome builds, I love the diversity on this website and the ingenuity.

Never would I have thought to build up a 1600 (sorry 510) the way you have, but I can already see it being a winner.

Thanks so much! I also like jumping on here and seeing what everyone is building- definitely gotten inspiration from these other threads.

• Like 1

looking awesome. Open my eyes up to a mini inspired uni body build. 

I'm not sure if my frame would have any chance of passing Engineering in Australia, but I've tried to build it to last!  We get away with murder over here in the US compared to custom work where you are- only a few states have annual inspections, and if you're dealing with a car older than '75 in California you have a lot of freedom.

Couple of quick updates:

First, powder coat is done!  I did all of the suspension parts in the same silver as the inner barrels of my wheels, and the frame stuff (trans crossmember, fuel cell brackets) in black.  My buddy James at Applied Coatings in Lodi did a killer job as always!

463.jpeg

464.jpeg

Work continues on the car as well.  Travis got the underside fully coated with a rubberized undercoating last night, and started on the bodywork for the firewall.

465.jpeg

I've started reassembling the rear trailing arms, so they should be ready to reinstall tomorrow.  The front suspension will have to wait until Travis paints the firewall.

More updates soon!

• Like 3

yeh even though the build quality is extremely high, it is definitely not engineerable or roadworthy in Oz. Modifying a unibody to that extent is flat out illegal in every state.  In western Australia where I am, if found to have a notched ride on a full frame, its basically deemed as scrap metal and can not be re registered. The exact reason I built my v520 this time round bagged with no notch, but a 3" body drop. officially the floor has been replaced as it was "rusted beyond repair". 

My v520 will not be engineered, but I have built it to a level that i should not have too many issues, excluding park brake, automatic height adjustment, which i will upgrade too when i can afford too and wheels size. Its "when" I get pulled up by a cop and it is released that is modified that its time to lube up. At this stage I will need to have tests done on my welds, a rigorous brake stopping test, Auto level system, suspension bumpstops so it does not fall below 100mm  and figure out a park brake thats not hydraulic, amongst other things. 

Powder coat loos super clean, as does the underbody. 

• Like 1

My v520 will not be engineered, but I have built it to a level that i should not have too many issues, excluding park brake, automatic height adjustment, which i will upgrade too when i can afford too and wheels size. Its "when" I get pulled up by a cop and it is released that is modified that its time to lube up. At this stage I will need to have tests done on my welds, a rigorous brake stopping test, Auto level system, suspension bumpstops so it does not fall below 100mm  and figure out a park brake thats not hydraulic, amongst other things. 

I've sold a bunch of Accuair systems to customers in Australia, so I've heard how strict they can be.  We even offer an "Australia-specific" system with a parking brake interlock so you can't play with the switches while driving...

If and when you get to that point be sure to let me know- I know your dollar isn't so great against ours right now, so hopefully it'll be a while before you need more parts!

• Like 1

No major updates today.  I've been picking up gaskets and seals, cleaning up the motor and transmission to reinstall when it gets back home, and just trying to clean and paint everything I can while it's apart.

My buddy Travis hasn't had much spare time to bodywork and paint the firewall, and nothing can really proceed until he gets that done...

Pics when I have some worth posting!