Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could be my first post in this thread.......

......mostly becuz I'm speechless when I look at this thread......

...........but DAYUM!! :w00t:

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

The wheels dude............

....................the wheels.

This could be my first post in this thread.......

......mostly becuz I'm speechless when I look at this thread......

...........but DAYUM!! :w00t:

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

The wheels dude............

....................the wheels.

Thanks!  When I can make someone with over 5,000 posts speechless, I guess I'm doing something right!  

• Like 1

Fab work is sick, That engine looks so damn small and it is going to be deafening :)

What sheet work is it going in for? the floors and firewall? 

I'm having Grant Kustoms build the firewall and floors for me- they do some beautiful bead roll work, and the job he did for my buddy's Toyota pickup was top-notch.  Should lend some race-car cred to this crusty build!

Alright, I'm on a proper computer, so I figured I'd upload some oics for you visual types.

I actually pulled it out of the garage yesterday to do some cleaning- funny how garage square footage can disappear over time...

380.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to see that after a month of sitting, there was still 148 psi in the air tank- losing 25 psi over a month is definitely acceptable! The battery was still just about full, too- not too surprising, since the only thing connected is the air ride controller.

Here are some pictures of the exhaust system:

381.jpg

382.jpg

383.jpg

384.jpg

The whole system is stainless steel with mandrel bends, and uses V-band clamps to make it removable in three sections.  It also sits just above frame level throughout- even with the front fully lifted and the rear fully dropped, nothing hits the ground but frame.  It's been SOOO tempting to wire up the engine just to hear how nasty it's going to sound, but I can wait.  An unmuffled rotary should be the perfect thing to alienate all of my neighbors!

Finally, here's a picture of the steering wheel.  No SSS emblem on the horn button, but the rest of it looks correct.  Any thoughts as to origin?

385.jpg

Pretty interesting this has an 'N' rather than a D on the horn pad. Nice wheel!

Thanks!  When I can make someone with over 5,000 posts speechless, I guess I'm doing something right!  

Amount of posts have nothing to do with talent/knowledge/experience.......

.......you surpass me in these by quite a bit......

Great work man!!

thats awesome that u had little leak down over that period of time.... i hate chasing leaks in air ride... everyone always asks is air ride hard to do ... im like no its pretty simple but the worse part is chasing leaks with your soapy water spray bottle... my full size had a bad big red valve ... that was annoying cause they were new and i couldnt figure out how or where it was leaking .. never thought to check a valve... being new ... super excited to see updates coming from wheres it headed too next... .... 

Just dropped the car off with Bob Grant at Grant Kustoms!  SUPER stoked to be taking the next step on the project, and even more stoked to have someone as talented as Bob doing the work!  It'll be a couple weeks before he can get started, but as soon as I see some progress pictures I'll be sure to pass them along.

I brought him some goodies for HIS 510 project- a complete '68 dash assembly, and a pair of '68 turn signals.  I had previously grabbed a set of '68 tails for him off eBay, so he's well on his way to cloning a '68 2 door with his car.... unless he follows through on his coupe roof idea!

While he was looking at the dash, he indicated that he may design a steel dash pad to replace the cracked original.  Would there be any interest in a 70-73 steel dash pad replacement?  

• Like 1

thats awesome that u had little leak down over that period of time.... i hate chasing leaks in air ride... everyone always asks is air ride hard to do ... im like no its pretty simple but the worse part is chasing leaks with your soapy water spray bottle... my full size had a bad big red valve ... that was annoying cause they were new and i couldnt figure out how or where it was leaking .. never thought to check a valve... being new ... super excited to see updates coming from wheres it headed too next... .... 

So many people cheap out on fittings and try to run crap from Home Depot on their cars- you'll always be chasing leaks with that stuff!  Our shop uses Alkon D.O.T. approved push-connects, and it just makes life so much easier only dealing with them ONCE!

hes the the one person on earth that i believe and endorse that could make a sedan to coupe swap look seamless...bob's work is un godly amazing.... i have a hydralic sotre next store and they have all the nice push locks ... i once used compression fittings on my mazda at first ... which was nice no leaks but any time i had to change something or break into a line i had to replace the line ...  

bob has a 510 project?      pics too ... 

• Like 2

bob has a 510 project?      pics too ... 

345.jpg

344.jpg

This is Bob's 2 door.  I keep bringing parts up to him, hoping it'll get him motivated to start on it!  I'll be sure to report back if I hear anything.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Bob told me he had some other projects to work on before he could start on my car, so when my buddy texted me yesterday "Floors are looking sick!" I hopped on Instagram for a pleasant surprise:

390.thumb.jpg.5a9c4c6b39e5eee46134347addcd58e9.jpg391.thumb.jpg.c1e0bb9e18e9f6bef87b5955808ecc67.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/390.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/391.jpg

Apparently he "had a vision" and got started sooner than I expected!  Stoked to see progress already- if he gets it done in the next month I may have it on the road before winter!

Edited by twistedimages
oics
  • Like 7
  • 1 month later...

I've been giving Bob his space- don't wanna be "that guy" that keeps bugging someone that's doing you a favor!

But it's killing me inside!  I hate coming out to an empty garage- worse, a garage with the front clip disassembled in it and no car to put it on!!

But he told me he'd have it ready to pick up before the end of October- I have a show I'd like to bring it to, so I'm hopeful it'll make it!

In the meantime, I've been screwing around with mopeds and scooters, and customizing my daily driver... It's no Datsun, but I'm having fun for now:

Mini_JNC-01web.jpgMini_JNC-02web.jpgMini_JNC-03web.jpg

• Like 4