Twisted Images Bagged, Body Dropped, & Rotary Powered 510

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only one here that thinks they botched up a perfectly good track 510? There was thousands of dollars worth of metal and suspension work done on the car, and you cut it all out, to do a pickup style frame and body drop? Dang. Keep the pickup drops for the pickups.

u wont think that when its done ....... and yes it could been a track 510 but it coulda been a guy putting Nissan stamped tailgates for the back of his 510 too ... to each there own ..........right?

or the easy answer to your question .....yes,  your one of few :poke:  :hug:

First off, let me say that I acknowledge everyone's opinions. Fortunately, though, it's my car to build as I choose, and I'm not one to be swayed by other people's opinions. I know the car will be polarizing- that's why I'm building it! Some people will hate the frame, some people will hate the air suspension, others will hate that I've left it rusty instead of fixing the body and painting it... point is, it's never going to satisfy everyone, so I'll just keep building it to MY vision!

With that said, let me address the "thousands of dollars worth of metal and suspension work" that this car had when I picked it up from WyoTech. I'll try to be as kind as possible...

The 240sx rear suspension was initially placed too low, so they cut it out and raised it a few inches... which would have been fine, but the driveshaft tunnel was about 3" too low to house a driveshaft! So, the tunnel would have had to be cut out.

The rest of the new floors were kind of cool- bead rolled, with new reinforcements welded underneath. Unfortunately, there was (is) a lot of rust in the inner rockers, extending up the toe kicks and into the rear suspension pickup points. So, they really would have had to come out if the body was going to be the sole support for the roll cage.

Okay, back to the rear suspension. Narrowed about 3" on each side- cool. But even with some 5" wide steelies bolted to it the width with the arms parallel was never going to tuck, unless some REALLY positive offset wheels were used, or the body was cut for flares. Neither of those options suited my vision for the car. Not to mention the additional cost for custom axles...

Aaaand that brings us to the front end. Again, narrowed 240sx. But not narrowed through the crossmember- narrowed by cutting 3" out of the control arms. With the stock rack, and assuming the stock strut mounting points, this would have been all over the road- camber going positive combined with bump steer from hell.

Essentially, everything in this car represented partially-realized concepts that hadn't been seen to completion, and it would have cost far more than I was willing to spend to repair and re-engineer what was done. If this thing came into my hands just needing a drivetrain and some minor details, I probably wouldn't have gone the route I did. But hey- I kept most of the cage at least!

I hope that clears the air a bit. Feel free to keep watching me build this 510 my way, or don't!

• Like 4

yep fucking epic and exactly what i would do. frame looks great, IRS looks great, bd will be awesome and the old body and paint looks sweet. Should look up some of the VW pages on paint resto, and buffing, the guys have it down pat. Im a trucker playing datsun and I'm building a ride I want, haters will hate but im happy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another quick update.  Santa brought me some tires, so I got them mounted on the other three wheels.  Added spacers to the front hubs, both to push the wheels out flush and to avoid machining out the centers of the wheels to fit the Toyota pickup hubs.  Out back, I trimmed the driver side wheel opening and removed the inner bracing, and cleaned up my work on the passenger side while I was in there.  With that work done, I mounted all four wheels and rolled the car out into the driveway!

180.thumb.jpg.bb9095aa26b1029a06a281ae873be663.jpg181.thumb.jpg.d2acfa18e2c88263a606431ebbcdd786.jpg182.thumb.jpg.880b887317c6f0ae85f92ec5e3f87cd8.jpg183.thumb.jpg.902ed45078b4f1971afaeec4b737d8bf.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/180.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/181.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/182.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/183.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/184.jpg

My driveway has a slight curvature to it, so the front end wasn't flat on the ground, but I was still stoked to see it on all four wheels!

As for the roof rack... not sure if it's going to make the final cut.  I've had that thing forever- a birthday gift from Wagdatto- so we'll see when it gets closer to hitting the road.

Garage is cleaned back up, and the car is tucked safely away for now.  My buddy is finishing up some frame work on his Toyota before it goes to Grant Kustoms in Oroville for the floor and transmission tunnel- then we'll get the 510 in his garage to knock out the airbag mounts and finalize the front and rear frame sections!

Edited by twistedimages
oics
  • Like 8

No dragging with this one! My 521 is sitting on a pallet in the rafters because the original frame was wrecked from dragging. Lesson learned, and I got it out of my system!

This car will be driven low and laid out when it's parked. I don't want to abuse anything but tires with this one!

YOUR CAR MAKES ME EXCITED!!  IM IN LOVE WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!   as a son to a man whose been laying out cars for 15 years now, ive been wanting to bag my 510 and make it lay rocker on 15 x10's.  main goal being to just have a 510 that lays rocker.  you sir, have beat me to it. and for that i thank you, its preps me for knowing whats in store. itll happen eventually, and my 510 is in damn good condition considering.. but i can care less what the "purists" think ( i havent updated my build thread, but i made a metal spoiler and welded it to my trunk . lol) please dont stop! this is truly an inspiration!

I don't mind at all! I'm having a lot of fun putting this car together- it's brought me closer to some really good friends.

Miles, the guy who's been kind enough to lend his garage and welding skills, just picked up a 71 Corona 4 door that we're going to tear into next- probably not going as low, but he's thinking 1uz-fe swap and big flares... Looking forward to seeing how crazy he goes!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a mini update today.  The car has been mostly sitting while I stockpile parts and wait for my buddy's garage to open up so we can finish the frame and install the airbag brackets.

I pulled the front hubs apart to clean them up, install new bearings, and put new rotors on.  I'm also in the process of designing tubular upper control arms- they'll have a slightly better ball joint angle, and the tubing will clear the steering shaft better than the factory stamped units.  I'll post some pictures of the results another time- right now it's just a pile of Toyota front suspension parts, and that has no place on this forum!

However, I came home today to find that FedEx had dropped off my rear caliper mounting brackets!  With the rear hubs re-drilled for 5 lug, I chose to go with 240sx rotors and calipers.  I already had the rear calipers from the IRS I pulled out of the car, and drilled and slotted rotors were like $60 off eBay.  In searching around, I only found one place that carries a caliper bracket for the 240sx rear setup- CX Racing.  However, I couldn't find a single photo online of these brackets installed on a car!  Their own eBay listing shows the brackets, but all of the other pictures in the listing are of their front end stuff...  ugh.

So, I took a chance and bought a set!  I figured if they needed some work I could take care of that, and if they were WAY off... well, it's only money, right?

I'm happy to say that they fit really well, and it looks like they'll work out perfectly for my car!  The machine work is pretty standard, and they come anodized red.  The only off-putting thing about them is that they don't come Left and Right- you get two of the same brackets.  Not a big deal, because they fit just fine, but it seemed odd that they wouldn't just reverse their program and make a mirror image.

Anyway, here's some pictures!

191.thumb.jpg.e800a121980501aad69edc7448aebcf2.jpg193.thumb.jpg.a5bc04873874ceded60efd993dba02b5.jpg195.thumb.jpg.a34c77bb42828460f669a8cd2909473c.jpg197.thumb.jpg.69322a6e8eee7d4cf75ba7dc1bb05b47.jpg198.thumb.jpg.56020b7094e09b59a2b242c2a8064fe0.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/191.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/193.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/195.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/197.jpg

http://www.twistedimages.us/510/198.jpg

I pulled the pads and e-brake cables for now, since this is all just for mock-up and it'll be easier to roll the car around without pads dragging and cables hanging.  But it looks like using the stock 240 cables won't be an issue, and the caliper sits centered nicely over the rotor.  Overall, I'm stoked with the result- I think they'll be a good match to the Toyota pickup front brakes.

More to come when there's more to show!

Edited by twistedimages
oics

It sat for years (since the early 90s?) in Rio Linda, at a Datsun ranch belonging to a longtime friend/acquaintance.  I inquired about it years ago, and he threw some ridiculous price at me- like $200, and I took him up on it.  I didn't have a place for it, so he kept it there for a while, until a buddy of mine said he was looking for a 510 project.  Passed it over to him, and... well, the rest is on the first page!

It would be awesome if some earlier photos turned up, but since it was stock when it got put into that field I doubt it saw any love during the 70s through 90s...

These are the cx racing brackets. Made for 240sx brakes instead of Maxima.

My car is a long way from hitting the road, but brakes are on the checklist... Gotta check me off sometime!

I'm not sure if my car is the first bodied 510. I've done a bit of searching for one as low as this one, and never found a complete car laying on the ground. Mine's not complete, either, but I feel like I'm past all of the technological hurdles- just need to put in more garage time!

• Like 1