B310 from Finland

Guest jaimesix

There is an article in the Wikipedya by DGonz that has pictures of the different cylinder heads, I am trying to find it ( since my PC is not working, I am not at my PC, I do not have the direct links )

Yes, a oval ported Cylinder head will give your Datsun better performance. Great ideas on az_rats reply.

Enjoy your car, it is about having a good time.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the head, I should probably clarify. As there are several different types. Specifically what you would want is the Oval Port A14 H72 head from the A14 motor.

Below is a link on the A-Series cylinder heads on wiki, written up by by Datsun1200.com.

http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/A-series_Cylinder_Heads

It gives information on all the different heads. Closed chamber versus open chamber and various results.

By the way. The bit about the increased voltage at the coil is an immediate result bolt on improvement for any old car where power is fed through the Ignition Switch. It essentially corrects voltage drop across all that wire and the ignition switch by shortening the path from 5-7 feet of wire to about 4 inches, allowing full voltage at the coil.

The idea may work with the stock coil. I chose to go with a performance MSD Blaster 2 coil (used on ebay form $5.00 and up) to handle the slightly higher temperatures caused by the increased voltage output.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of money and cause i can only work on the car weekends there aint much happening. Have been cleaning the engine compartment a bit. (throwing away extra parts and painting stuff)

Found some wood pattern plastic tape and this is the first place i found use for it. Still dont know what it looks like when its on.

(glove box door)

Kuva086.jpg

I wish i could find a wooden steering wheel somewhere...

Its not much but hey, its the little things that make the whole! (hope that line makes sense :D)

Guest jaimesix

You can find wooden finish steering wheels for Datsuns . Just a matter of looking around ( E/Bay , Craig's List , etc ).

You are right, it is little things that make the final project materialize.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. Long time no see :D

I stopped posting cause there was really nothing interesting happening with my datsun. Now im using my Nissan sunny Coupe (or i think you call it "pulsar") as a daily driver after i got it painted. Heres a few pics of that.

Me at work

DSCF0504.jpg

Finished product

DSCF0507.jpg

07022009020.jpg

Paint came out amazingly good for a first time painter.

So now that i have another car i can start working on my datsun. Its in a good condition but i want it to be in an excellent condition. First thing that im going to do and what im working on right now is that i took to motor off beacouse there is a rust spot in the engine room and my engine started to leak oil but when i took the motor off i saw that the oil was probably coming under the valvecover. I will also clean and paint the engine room.

27022009085.jpg

Other things that im goind to do is strip down the interior and do a full sound dreadening. In the summer im probably gonna clean the bottom of the car and fix any visible rust. When im building it this far i dont want to be fixing rust hole for every inspections. The car will probably also be painted with the original colour.

So from here on i will keep you guys updated on the progress again ;)

Hey guys. Long time no see :D

I stopped posting cause there was really nothing interesting happening with my datsun. Now im using my Nissan sunny Coupe (or i think you call it "pulsar") as a daily driver after i got it painted. Heres a few pics of that.

Me at work

DSCF0504.jpg

Finished product

DSCF0507.jpg

07022009020.jpg

In Canada we call that car a Sentra xe coupe.

Nice work.

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

Very nice job. Like in Canada, your black Nissan is a Nissan Sentra, it is the sport model. Nice car. We do not see many of them on the road.

The paint looks good. Great that you got your motor off the other Datsun. That is the proper way to paint and fix the engine bay.

Keep us posted.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

Not too bad, good to know somebody else did some welding, that means your Datsun was cared for, good news.

Yes, im very glad i didnt have to do it. I mean somebody really has done alot of work getting this fixed... I did the same thing with my sentra. There is not alot of original sheetmetal left :D Its sad that cars rust so easily in finland. In finland older cars had to be treated with antirust stuff (dont know what their called) when they were new but still they rust beacouse of the salt on the roads and finland isnt the dryest country. Now new cars dont need to be treated and they rust in few years. Stupid...

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit of progress.

Got some new wheels. 13x5" The problem is the offset that is 38 but they do fit. Quess ill have to use some spacers or leave them as winter wheels. They costed a whopping 10e a piece so i had to buy them. Maybe for some other datsun in the future if not for this ;)

DSCF0521.jpg

And sprayed the first layer of paint. Acid paint. Not sure what you call it.

DSCF0525.jpg

Tomorrow im going to spray the primer.

Nice work.

About rust, it is a pity Finland uses salt. Seattle uses no salt, but we get almost zero snow. Except this winter, we got enough to cause traffic problems and as a result many people demanded the Mayor use salt next time... it is a pity they gave in for the sake of convenience.

Guest jaimesix

Nice wheels.

Some low profile tires and it will be a cool set up.

That engine bay looks great. I was going to say, in such enviroments, w/ salt, you need really goof paint, and some tar undercoating afterwards to isolate the metal from the salt.

In winter, if driving in salty areas, it is good to cover all non undercoated areas ( like control arms, rear axle, bolts and nuts ) in a layer of grease. Marine grease is great, it does not disolve in water, and it is made to face the most extreme salty conditions of the oceans.

Nice thorough work, congratulations.

Jaime._________________________________________________

A little bit of progress.

Got some new wheels. 13x5" The problem is the offset that is 38 but they do fit. Quess ill have to use some spacers or leave them as winter wheels. They costed a whopping 10e a piece so i had to buy them. Maybe for some other datsun in the future if not for this ;)

DSCF0521.jpg

And sprayed the first layer of paint. Acid paint. Not sure what you call it.

DSCF0525.jpg

Tomorrow im going to spray the primer.

With acid paint and anti corrosive primer im quite sure that it wont rust right away :D

Today i have been cleaning the engine. Gonna put some paint on the block where the old paint has chipped off. Now i have been polishing the valve cover. I was going for the brushed steel look. I didnt want mirror like finish cause i dont think clear coat stays on so polished surface?

I had to drill off the tube holders (Or whatever) So i could polish it properly. in the end I welded them back on.

The brushing doesnt show well in the pics.

03042009009.jpg

03042009010.jpg

03042009011.jpg

Guest jaimesix

Very nice dilligent work.

About that small hose guide, you could re mount it with 2 small stainless steel bolts. No need to weld them back.

When ever you have a chance, I would like to get the details of your paints. Anything that works in the frigid winters up there in nice Finland would protect my cars very well!!!!!

JAime.____________________________________________________

Heres the paints Jaime!

First layer is the 2K acid paint (My dad said its the best paint to prevent rust)

04042009016.jpg

04042009017.jpg

Second layer is a normal anti corrosive primer.

04042009018.jpg

With these paints im sure it wont rust in a while ;)

I got an idea from another forum member. Nowadays the "RAT" style cars are very popular and the rusted hoods. Like this one.

dsc0172pg3.jpg

So beacouse i have an extra hood im going to make a "Anti RAT" hood

So im sanding the hood to a bare metal and spray a clear coat over it.

I've already started:

05042009019.jpg

Many times in these rat style cars you see a text "Rust is not a crime" so im going to write "Rust is a crime" in my hood :D

And i have an extra trunk lid too so maybe im going to do the same thing with it too.

Im going to keep the car quite stock looking but beacouse i have 2hoods i can play around with the other!

Edited by Tompsukka
Guest jaimesix

Thanks for the info Tompsukka.

Good to know the brand of paint. Those paints must be good, made to withstand the inclement weather up there in Finland.

About the rusty hood, that is funny. I think rust is a crime, because it destroys the car. Those rusty hoods, under rain, will drip rust onto the rest of the car, fenders, hood hindges, you name it. Not a safe thing to do.

Like your idea of anti rat hood. That is cool.

11042009028.jpg

So its painted. I have started cleaning, painting and assembling some of the parts on the engine compartment. I've been painting some details with dark green (Like army green or something) I wouldnt like to use the original air filter system but if i put a cone filter or something how am i going to do the warm air intake from the manifold? :confused: I think its quite necessary in the winter.

Or maybe I just need to change to the original in winters...

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to get the wirings a bit better looking for the freshly painted engine room. (is this the right word?)

01012008035.jpg

Got the motor in.

18042009045.jpg

18042009046.jpg

Next weekend im going to try to get all the wires plugged and everything that is missing from the engine room.

Next i will probably start working on the chassis and brakes (No updates just new parts)

Guest jaimesix
Tried to get the wirings a bit better looking for the freshly painted engine room. (is this the right word?)

01012008035.jpg

Got the motor in.

18042009045.jpg

18042009046.jpg

Next weekend im going to try to get all the wires plugged and everything that is missing from the engine room.

Next i will probably start working on the chassis and brakes (No updates just new parts)

Nice thorough engine bay work. That engine is going to work really smoothly. It will look even better with all the parts in place.

Cool!!!

BTW, I got a contact about a Valve Cover, but it was a Nissan:( I will keep on checking, I will hit jackpot soon.;)

Jaime.________________________________________________________

No hurries friend. Im quite short on money right now :D

I checked the lamp washer system. I think the motor is a regular windshield washer motor. Atleast its not original but its working. The bag that contains the liquids is broken from the top and all the text has wore off :(

Guest jaimesix
No hurries friend. Im quite short on money right now :D

I checked the lamp washer system. I think the motor is a regular windshield washer motor. Atleast its not original but its working. The bag that contains the liquids is broken from the top and all the text has wore off :(

Yes, we can not expect pristine condition from old parts. The bag can be replaced with a plastic bottle. The motor and jets/squits are what counts.

We will deal with it when time comes. For now on, please save it for me.:)

Enjoy spring, nice times ahead.

Jaime._______________________________________________________