Front End Work - Zerow's 4 Door

zerow

I am in the process of assembling the front struts for my 610 sedan. I have accumulated a bunch of parts over the years, and I don't want to have to go shopping at the JY, unless I absloutely have to. Here is what I've got:

280ZX full front struts with rotors, spindles, calipers.

8 inch coilover springs with aluminum sleeves (250# Spring Rate)

Clamp-on style steel rings for holding up the perches (for more adjustment)

I will be needing some camber plates, I know that already. I'm planning on some T3s with their top hat and bearing system.

(Wait for it....The dumbass question of the night.....):

Do I have to cut the strut tubes? Could I just run some insert (stock or shorter) without cutting the strut tubes. Could I stack washers, machine an insert, or something to compensate for the strut insert lengths? I've heard about "stockish" (I assume 280ZX) inserts, MR2 inserts, VW inserts, Koni, Tokico... My head is spinning. I am just a little leery about cutting them (fear of a bad job or breakage are at the top of my concerns) I want to keep this as simple and painless as possible.

I know the next questions, what I plan to do with the car, how low, etc, etc. I want to drive the car, not crazy, just cruise. The more than occasional show off, but also want to know that I can take her out for a good stretch of the legs. I DO NOT plan to Autocross her (My back is just not going to go for that). How Low? I want to see the tops of the tires below the fenders, maybe a smidge more or a smidge less, depending on mood or show, the reason I got the coilovers. If I need to get longer springs to accomplish this look, then so be it. If I can run with what I've got, then that helps the pocketbook.

Any help, suggestions, (slaps upside the head, if necessary), etc. will be welcome. I just don't want something I'm going to regret. :confused:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CUT the strut tubes if you want to lower it enough to take up the gap in the wheel arch you need to, My wagon has been converted to coilover in the front and I spent the money to put a good set of inserts in (Koni) as you should too, way to often people think the will just put a cheap set of inserts in cuz they will work then 6 months to a year down the road wonder why the car rides like ASS. save a little longer and do it right you will be happy you did in the long run. the way my wagon sits now I need to go in and take more out of the strut tube...probably another inch or so, if I am in a long corner like an on ramp and I have the outside corner loaded and I hit a BIG bump it tend to bottom the shock out not good on the shock or anything else in the front end. but thats just my 2 pennies :D

Clayton

What does it look like on a 510 if I were to just run with not cutting the strut tubes? Send Pics!

Aren't the struts from a 280ZX shorter than a 510/610 to begin with? I'm not going cheap, and 69FJWagon, thank you for your input. I need to be considering the small fact that too low, and it could be uncomfortable (if not downright painful) for my back.

F@#$ back injuries! :mad: God, what I would do to have a 5 speed and as low as I can handle for my 610! Thanks, Saddam for everything, signed SGT Zerow. :fu:

• 2 months later...
What does it look like on a 510 if I were to just run with not cutting the strut tubes? Send Pics!

Aren't the struts from a 280ZX shorter than a 510/610 to begin with? I'm not going cheap, and 69FJWagon, thank you for your input. I need to be considering the small fact that too low, and it could be uncomfortable (if not downright painful) for my back.

F@#$ back injuries! :mad: God, what I would do to have a 5 speed and as low as I can handle for my 610! Thanks, Saddam for everything, signed SGT Zerow. :fu:

zerow, lower doesn't have to be harsh on you back

use 200 lb 10" springs and use tokico golf inserts (~65/ea.), and you'll have a smooth, good-handling ride

the struts are easy-peasy for a fabricator or shop to section for you, and only that way can you be sure you won't be bottoming out all the time (like we did in the old days)

i would only use the clamps to get an idea what spring length you're using and where you want the sleeves, then i would have a seat ring welded on