"Woodle" my 1st gen 4Runner daily

well I went for a slightly darker than stock gloss red. The can called it "cranberry" came out a little lighter than I wanted but c'est la vie. It's definitely unique now and I can always repaint it later/I may get a new shell at some point because this one has cracked fiberglass and bondo repairs. Its a bit of a 20-footer paint job but its an improvement too the 50-footer paint it had before haha

after a couple coats

20130831_183330_zps19f7ad35.jpg

I had to sit outside my garage and stand gaurd because the neighbors cats like to go in my garage and climb on shit. didnt want paw prints in the paint so I grabbed some popcorn and a beer and sat for an hour or so to let the paint dry a bit. little fucker must have known what was going on because he sat like this for a good while...

20130831_175538_zpsfe0a07dc.jpg

and after letting it dry for 4-5 days here it is

20130906_125920_zps57b7e123.jpg

20130906_125948_zpsb62ccccb.jpg

Thinking about painting the steelies to match, and possibly some red interior components in the future...my shift boot is lookin pretty ratty these days...some red leather would match nicely.... B)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Been pretty inactive lately, got busy with school and building a racecar but I realized I've had the runner for a year now and decided to drop a couple random photos from my first year with her.

I can also proudly report as high as 24.5 MPG! almost 5 over what it was supposed to get 25 years ago! :D

20140117_194356_zps0kpzi2ww.jpg

20140613_182032_zps8erophrx.jpg

This thing was about as ratsun as a yota will get. Cut coil springs in the back welded to the axle housing and the frame, door mirror mounted on the fender, body dropped...good stuff

20140615_182851_zpsledzzxv1.jpg

20140428_192545_zpsmmapbcvi.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I was looking for one of these for a while buy sadly lost interest. All the rednecks and 4x4 bros in my area want 3k plus for their "crawlers" well used and abused yotas. Instead I scored a dirt virgin 98 explorer with all options and 106k miles for 1,800. Just wish I could pop the top off looks fun that way

It's sorta clean. Cleaner than most, due to the 4x4/redneck scene that usually thrashes them into oblivion. You pay a lot because of the following they have but in my opinion it's well worth it. Super reliable and very capable even in stock form. I wouldn't be telling you the truth if I didn't think you should go for it ;)

My only real complaint is that its really low on power. a 3L V6 thats only making 145hp? that's only 48hp per liter...which is like L motor levels. Only coming from an engine built 20 years after the L series...I would really love to do the 3.4 supercharged swap but that would take my time and money away from the Z :(

the 85 is the 2.2 (or whatever the 4 cyl is) but still (even more so) low on power.

but it has a new old man emu lift in it, not rusty (big deal in maine), super low gears (4.7 transfer case and 5.29 in axles), and was built for but not really wheeled yet. PO did a rattle can blue paint job which is a shame.  I have a lot of toys though and the ball and chain won't let me get any more "this year" and doesn't count trades that involve money (sell a jeep and buy a toyota), and he wont trade straight up cause he wants a street car.

but yea, attempting to drive anything with 100 hp and 35" tires on a road would be pretty bad i'd imagine.

Actually the 3.0 V6 is lucky if it gets more power than the 2.4L 4 cylinder, they even get worse mileage than the 4 cylinder. Terribly designed motor, but it was Toyota's first V6 so...

Found this for my mom after a bit of a hunt. We are calling it the Unicorn. 1985 22RE 4Runner, it has somewhat high mileage but these things go forever and it looks like the hardest wheeling it's ever done is some gravel roads.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

The 3.0 is Toyotas biggest mistake in my opinion, its truly a crap engine. But it will work, so long as the valve train doesn't go to shit

Mine's in pretty good shape its just a crappy motor from the start. It has the smallest throttle body diameter of ANY toyota 6 cylinder EVER! Even the supras and cressidas built years before this got more breathing room!

the 85 is the 2.2 (or whatever the 4 cyl is) but still (even more so) low on power.

but it has a new old man emu lift in it, not rusty (big deal in maine), super low gears (4.7 transfer case and 5.29 in axles), and was built for but not really wheeled yet. PO did a rattle can blue paint job which is a shame.  I have a lot of toys though and the ball and chain won't let me get any more "this year" and doesn't count trades that involve money (sell a jeep and buy a toyota), and he wont trade straight up cause he wants a street car.

but yea, attempting to drive anything with 100 hp and 35" tires on a road would be pretty bad i'd imagine.

Sound like a pretty good truck to me. I got a classmate that has the 22RE (its 2.4L btw) and 35's regeared and whatnot and he drives it on the road all the time, as far as I know its his only car.

Actually the 3.0 V6 is lucky if it gets more power than the 2.4L 4 cylinder, they even get worse mileage than the 4 cylinder. Terribly designed motor, but it was Toyota's first V6 so...

Found this for my mom after a bit of a hunt. We are calling it the Unicorn. 1985 22RE 4Runner, it has somewhat high mileage but these things go forever and it looks like the hardest wheeling it's ever done is some gravel roads.

Thats a pretty sweet runner you got there! Even being their first V6 its still kin of disappointing from a make like Toyota...Which is why I would really like to swap it but being registered in CA makes swapping kind of a pain...but then I suppose I could get an LS to pass smog pretty easily  :devil: