Do Accel coils require....???

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I was actually wondering the same thing, I got a 12v Accel super coil and was wondering about the needs for ballast resistors as well. Hainz runs them but he says they're more intended for vehicles with points ignition.

Guest DatsuNoob

hmmm... electronics, wiring, ohms, field effect transistors and ballast resistors and all those doodads have always been a foreign language for me. So are you saying then Dyslexic is that you bypassed the ballast resistors completely and just hooked up your pos and neg to the coil and was sweet? Dunno much about 'em, just wondering cause I got that super coil sitting in my tool box, and have been debating on whether or not to install it. Would probably help produce a hotter spark for my over-carbed weber though :D

Thanks dislexic person. I will do it. I beckoned you to be MY FRIEND on myspace..please don't break my TENDER LITTLE HEART and say no...SHIT thats the CARTMAN coming out in me.

ANYWAY thanks for the info. I will wire my coil like yours and hope shit don't catch on fire.

And on another note I got pulled over one night while drinking me some MALT LIKKA...cop was also dislexic..he gave me an IUD...

The Ballast resistor is more or less there to protect the points from excessive current flow.

This is true. It will also save the EI system from excessive current flow also. IF, this coil was intended for use with points, then you should use the dropping resister. The EI coils had a higher internal resistance than the points coils to prevent excessive current draw through the EI system.

If the coil gets hot to the touch then I would hook the dropping resister back up. The EI matchboxes are tough but they weren't designed for use with a low impedance coil and could crap out any time.

I'm not saying this set up is wrong it just might be... Where's hainz???