Oil Filter Comparison

The topic of "which oil filter is better" came up in another discussion. I did a comparison for my C.A.R.S Club a while back. Here is what I found:

To start, I chose a 1977 Chevy 350. I figured it was a pretty generic filter and should be in-stock at most parts stores.

I went to Napa, AutoZone, and O'Reilly's. (The only parts stores in my town at the time)

What was cool about the demonstration, I had a former employee of Baldwin Filters come in a teach us about the filter assembly and process. I just couldn't get a Baldwin Filter in the short notice.

I just moved, so I'm going to have to dig out my notes to give all the specific info.

On that note, I will have to dismiss myself and dig that info up. More to come soon...

Well, I've been looking for an hour now, and I can't seem to find the written results. For now, here is what I remember:

We looked at two main comparisons:

The Media (filter) standard paper or synthetic (impregnated with... I don't remember... good stuff to last longer and filter better)

The End Caps (bonded to the top of the media, under the back flow valve, at the top of the canister) They are either Steel or Paper

Another comparison that we didn't concentrate on, but is very important are the perforations on top of the canister and down inside the canister. The larger, or the more perforations, the better, especially down inside on the center baffle.

Also let me say it was our belief that it's fine to run any of these filters, just the lower quality filters aren't good over 2000-3000 miles.

First I will list in order from worst to best (but let me say that some of these could be argued up or down because of varying factors):

1. STP & AC Delco (identical filters)

2. Standard Fram (in this case, it was about a tie between this and the Micro Guard and Penzoil, because it was taller it contained the same media surface area as the others)

3. Micro Guard and Penzoil (99% identical)

4. Wix Racing

5. Fram racing

6. Fram Tough Guard

7. Fram Extended Guard

8. Wix

9. Fram High Mileage

10. K&N and Mobil (identical)

11. Bosch

The worst filters are where they are, primarily because they had paper end caps and less media.

The better filters had steel end caps and either more media or synthetic media.

Filters numbered 1,2:

Paper end caps and less media.

Filters 3:

Paper end caps and a little more media than 1,2

Filters 4,5:

The Racing filters were not what we expected. They had steel end caps, but very low on media. We presumed they are going for more flow with less media expecting you to change them after every race session.

Filters 6,7,8:

The Middle of the road Frams. If I remember correctly, the tough guard had a paper end cap, but more media. While the Extended guard had steel end cap but less media

The Wix was about the same. Steel end cap, with average media.

Filter 9:

The Fram High Mileage. Good filter. Steel End cap, with average amount of synthetic media.

Filters 10,11:

I'm 99% certain the K&N and the Mobil were identical, except for the outside canisters. Steel end caps and more than average amount of synthetic media.

The Bosch had a steel end cap and a different type of synthetic media.

What I run: I run the Mobil. It's usually a lot less expensive than the Bosch and as far as I can tell, it's equivalent in performance.

My written results had the exact amount of media contained in the canisters, and the exact order of Best to Worst. This is a very good representation of our findings.

If there is a filter you are wondering about, go buy it, and one of the bottom line filters, and cut them with a hacksaw somewhere about a half inch from the top (mounting side). Then pull the media and end cap away from the top of the canister. Cut the end cap and the bottom off the media. Then cut the media length wise, and unroll it. Compare the end caps, compare the type and length of media, and compare how many perforations are in the center baffle piece.

DSCN0387.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always follow these there were some good ones up then the info got old and the pictures stopped working, some of the good filters then are now garbage as they were sold off, for a note wix and nappa gold are the same thing, there used to be a nappa silver,but not so good, the bosch filters have also cheaped out as well as the stp, interesting that both had the same parts stamping on. The base plate

As I'm still looking for my results, let me add that the standard Wix was only middle-of-the-road for this test, but later, I bought one for my Subie and cut it open. The Wix filter was better quality for the Subie than it was for the Chevy. I also did the same with a Motorcraft for my '65 Mustang, which if I remember correctly is the same as the Fram PH8 that I currently have on the L20B (I'm only running the Fram for 50 miles then doing another oil change. The engine had been sitting for a year or more, so I wanted to flush the block and components then I will do another oil change and run a better filter). And yes, the Motorcraft is a good filter.

Dont forget the fram have other issues, such as the awful threads, they are notorious for blowing off,and they often leak, the bypass valves often immediely fail also, i know far too many people who cured a startup rattle,or odd pressure loss,by trashing one, personallyy i wouldnt run one on a dying lawnmower

My opinion on oil filters is this.  I run OEM oil filters.  Ford filters on Fords, Nissan filters on Datsuns.

This is why.  Ford, or Nissan, is not in business to sell oil filters.  They sell cars.  However, if an oil filter causes a engine failure, and a warranty claim, the car manufacturer stands to lose a fair amount of money in replacing the engine.  It is not in their interest to make oil filters with the highest profit margin.   However, if you are a company that makes oil filters, but not cars, you want to maximize profit from oil filters.   Notice in the oil filter report, the Motorcraft oil filter came out pretty good.   For what it is worth, the last time I bought some Motorcraft FL1-A oil filters, they were less than $4.00 each, at Wal Mart.

The FL1-A oil filter will screw on a L-engine block.  The FL1-A also has an internal bypass, that allows oil to bypass the filter if the filter element is clogged.  The Datsun engine also has a bypass, and the Nissan oil filter does not.

1) It is not in their interest to make oil filters with the highest profit margin.

However, if you are a company that makes oil filters, but not cars, you want to maximize profit from oil filters.

1)Car companies do not make oil filters.

2)If you lose a motor account of the filter,the fliter company is on the hook for your motor just like the dealer would be.

"Car companies do not make oil filters."

You are right, car companies probably don't.  But I am pretty sure car car companies do send specifications to the people who do make the oil filters on exactly what requirements the car company wants, and I am guessing the tolerances and specifications are much tighter than the specifications on your average "orange" oil filter.

Always love filter comparisons.

Gonna throw in my $0.02.... I spend a lot of time on diesel boards and it has really changed my view of filters over the years. Basically everything I use is paper, no cheap shit or hyped up crap. For my VW's I only use Mann or VW/Audi factory. On everything else I've been using Wix (that may change) or K&N/Mobil (K&N OIL filters). In the diesel world you will void your warranty if you use cotton gauze filters. All of those 1M mile semi's driving down the road use paper, every single one, paper.

I'm gonna do the TP bypass filter on my Z one day, actually i want to run that setup on all my cars. I know it's not a gasser thing and one could argue it's unnecessary as I don't put those kind of miles on my cars.... I don't care, that shit keeps your oil looking new for months!

I'm pretty sure we determined Purolator was the same junk as the STP and AC Delco, which were the worst in this demonstration.

I run Purolators and they sure appear to be much better quality than STP or AC Delco. I BELIEVE Purolator makes Motorcraft filters, and I run either of the two. They are still made in the USA, unlike Napa Gold now. Last one I bought I was Made in Mexico, and that is why it was the last one I bought. My folks have an '09 Maxima, and the genuine Nissan oil filter the dealer uses was Made in CHINA.

Too bad you couldn't get a Baldwin. It would have been at the top as well. Is it too late? I buy them off the shelf at Carquest.

I believe the Bosch is made by Mann. Made in Germany .

Why a bypass? This is for the idiot who never changes his filter on time? How often does a filter clog up anyway????? Seems to me the oil in the pan is going to have been through it's filter 20 trillion times and is going to be pretty damn clean anyway.

My opinion on oil filters is this.  I run OEM oil filters.  Ford filters on Fords, Nissan filters on Datsuns.

This is why.  Ford, or Nissan, is not in business to sell oil filters.  They sell cars.  However, if an oil filter causes a engine failure, and a warranty claim, the car manufacturer stands to lose a fair amount of money in replacing the engine.  It is not in their interest to make oil filters with the highest profit margin.   However, if you are a company that makes oil filters, but not cars, you want to maximize profit from oil filters.   Notice in the oil filter report, the Motorcraft oil filter came out pretty good.   For what it is worth, the last time I bought some Motorcraft FL1-A oil filters, they were less than $4.00 each, at Wal Mart.

The FL1-A oil filter will screw on a L-engine block.  The FL1-A also has an internal bypass, that allows oil to bypass the filter if the filter element is clogged.  The Datsun engine also has a bypass, and the Nissan oil filter does not.

Chevy uses AC Delco, and they were the worst in this case....

Why a bypass? This is for the idiot who never changes his filter on time? How often does a filter clog up anyway????? Seems to me the oil in the pan is going to have been through it's filter 20 trillion times and is going to be pretty damn clean anyway.

Like I said it doesn't make sense, lol.

Well actually it can, I've seen oil reports on gassers with 40k miles running the same oil without a change.