New to me Sundance 16' Datsun Powered Jet Boat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a Datsun boat and I'm not into boats really. :lol:

Cleaned out the gas tank and replaced the fuel gauge gasket, had to make a new gasket out of some gasket material I picked up at the auto parts store. The tank is almost ready to go back in the boat just needs a good ole Ratsun sticker.

I can send you a sticker for that tank, PM me your address   :)

Yes, I knew that there was going to be some rot but not this much. As you can see from the pics below I have removed all the rotted wood, these boats have one single stringer that runs from the bow to just in front of the console and a stringer that runs across in front of the console so it wasn't a huge job. I have learned that most of the boat manufacturers during the 70's skimped out when it came to the quality of wood and the amount of fiberglass that they put around the bow stringers so I wasn't to surprised with the amount of rot. Removing the foam that they used in the bow was a bitch and it was soaked, I removed around 10-12 gallons of water from the bow area that was trapped there by the 1 stringer that runs across the boat in front of the console. When I glass in the new stringers I will also be glassing in a small piece of 1'' PVC pipe so that any water that does get in the bow area can drain out. The last pic is of the center stringer, its only 1/2'', I will be using 3/4'' marine plywood for the replacement stringers.

IMG_1604_zps1c758d7c.jpg

IMG_1602_zps3fa3cd2c.jpg

IMG_1601_zpsb3412c5d.jpg

IMG_1603_zps8b4dce46.jpg

I will be replacing the stringer and floor this weekend, anybody have any fiberglass/ epoxy experience? I think I have a pretty good idea on the how to part but its the materials to be used part that I am a little unclear on.

Make darn sure You grind the heck out of the "floor" area or any area that You add fiberglass too. Don't be afraid to rough it up vigorously. If You do not, in time the fiberglass will just peel away and You will have no integrity whatsoever in that bow, especially with the tremondous pounding that a boat hull is subject to. Whenever You do any type of fiberglass repair, such as attaching fender flares, hood scoops and other items with fiberglass, You MUST grind the area for something that the new fiberglass can "grab". On this project, I would suggest at least 10 different layers of cloth/resin. Anything less to secure the new stringer and it will desentrigrate due to bouncing on the water and beaching. You actually have really opened up a can of worms here but it is not an impossable fix. On My dually thread (post # 74) see how I did the fiberglassing last fall on the cab's extension. I described things if I remember pretty well.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/12236-severance-day-not-what-you-think/

You have to mix the resin properly also or it will not cure properly. Best of luck and if I can help further I will try to guide You through what You have to do.  Mike  

I have decided to go with a gas pedal instead of the original throttl, I have driven a couple large jet boats with pedals and I like the amount of control you get from the pedal system. Anyone in the Portland area know where to find used boat parts cheap?

Hi Robert. Will you disable the throttle lever all the way & run a new cable to operate the scoop or leave it in place ?

I too was going to run a pedal but never got motivated enough to fab it up.

Text or call me if you need help on the fiberglassing & check out Steroids thread. Hes done alot of glassing in his time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a week long camping trip comming up very soon, I may end up selling my sundance so I can buy a different boat that is ready for the water. The thought really bums me out but I have alot of kids counting on me to bring the fun.

:(  :(   

Too bad that didn't turn out for You. Maybe You could rent a boat and keep it, making it a winter project. If not, hopefully someone on here will get it. If so, certainly Mark and I will continue to give help when needed. Take care and good luck! Mike

• 2 weeks later...

If some one in the portland area is looking to add a Datsun boat to thier collection today is your lucky day. I have dropped the price down to 800$. If not sold I am going to miss out on a fishing boat that I have "

On hold".

• 5 weeks later...

Well, there have been many Ratsun guys claiming to want one of these boats. Lets see if any of them "step up to the plate". Good luck with Your sale. Mike

Kind of a harsh statement... Wanting one of these boats doesnt mean buying one thats been broken down and chopped up. some people just want to buy a boat and go enjoy it not have to completely rebuild the thing. Prob why it's still for sale. 

I would get it back to snuff and sell it good to go, will make much more on it. GLWS either way