the curse of the black diamonds

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY part i dont like is the motor. a motor swap takes care of that easy enough. and in your sig you show a 1JZ conquest. now why doesn't that one have the stock motor in it since you like them so much?

oh and i wasn't talking down. just stating an opinion. its funny, the OP didn't say word one about what i had said. maybe because everyone is entitled to their OWN opinions?

personally, although i hate red cars with a passion, i lke the new one. it looks better than the black one. as for mitsus in general i have nothing against them. just not a fan of some of the motors. styling is actually pretty good.

Aww fuck, City Hunter just called me a moron, and defended the guy who bought another shined up 20 yr old turd to park next to the one that fucked out to begin with. BTW, isnt this thread posted in the "who-really-gives-a-shit-cause-it-not-Datsun" section? :blink:

now why you want to call my car a turd i dont bag on your ragidie ass 620 that can only do 75 maybe 80. come on now at least i can do my own timeing and tune my own carbs .

moparvwfreak your intiteled to your own opinion. the way i see it any old engine is going to have to be tinkered with thats just how it is. the 2.6 has its week points but the coool thing is there is elimination kits for most of those problems. :D

the truth is i got tired of the drums on my 620 and lets face it 436 gear's with a 4 speed and a l16 just dont get up and go . and compared to my 510 the 620 is just not fun to drive. in my opinion 620 suck compared to dimes.

the whole reason i got this car was so i donot have to daily drive my dime. Not that i dont want to its just that i want to get the body work finished. and lets face it driveing something as sporty and as comfortable as a starion

is nice. plus it slides real nice lol

Mikey, Like the new car.. Hey, there is one out in the tigard UPI. Looks like they put it out very recently. Its an 84 and not a widebody, but it still had its turbo on it last sunday. Car still looked really complete. I dont know these cars well at all so this might be of no use to you, but maybe it is??

Jason

cool looking cars... motors suck, I don't care how fast somebody made one, theres 8 sec electric cars too, but they burn up the brushes on every pass. Theres also 7-8sec turbo diesels, but they blow so much black smoke you wouldn't want to be on the track when they take a pass.

I think your on the wrong site to dog the L-series... theres plenty of 40+ yo cars here that are still on the road, and we beat the shit out of them cause we can. As for turbo L's I'll only speak for the factory turbo cars, the 280zx... L28t = better than g58bt. The L-series was SUCH a good design that nissan still uses the same basic technology today, can the same be said for the AWE inspiring g58b? No DSM/Mitsubishi saw the same thing the rest of us do and that you are blind to, its a hunk-a-dookie. With enough money even the anemic 3cyl metro motor can be made fast, and with enough money even the headgasket blowing mazda p/u motors can be made reliable, but let get real, its not about the motors... or the even the body... its about the passion. To each his own as long as YOU enjoy it nothing else really matters. Good luck! :thumbup:

thanks jason i went and grabed the parts i need from it. to bad i did not get there a few days a go some one beet me to the sweet hood with the scoop in it

Hood was still on it when i got to it, i even had to pull the interior release handle to open it. Remembering this thread and having every intention of telling you about it, then forgot for a few days.

Sorry you missed out on that hood.

Jason

went to change out the rear control arm bushing's got them all apart and noticed they where still good tightened it all down and the wheel no longer moves left and right. as far as i can tell the bolt must have ben loose. thank's for the help city hunter

now all i have to do is reset the tps and change the turbo manifold

Thats funny thats all that was wrong with it. lol! Typical RED noobing it up with his cars, I wonder how he finds all these different rides? Hes had a new car every month we run into him. Anyway, the timer is ticking to when the HG goes. I have to agree the l28et can take way more abuse than the g54b in stock form. I know City hunter very well and from the many convo's we've had on this engine it sounds like you need to just fix alot of little things to make them super reliable. I have a friend at work who stuck one into a Dodge raider and he went to great lengths to make it last this long, plus allow him to beat on it every now and then. Every L- engine I have owned has never let me down and every VG I have owned has never let me down. I cant say that about the KA's because like the g54b it has its downfalls but with a little work it can be made bullet proof. Mikey gl with the triple diamonds and always own a Datsun to pickup your mitsu parts in. lol!

• 2 weeks later...
cool looking cars... motors suck, I don't care how fast somebody made one, theres 8 sec electric cars too, but they burn up the brushes on every pass. Theres also 7-8sec turbo diesels, but they blow so much black smoke you wouldn't want to be on the track when they take a pass.

I think your on the wrong site to dog the L-series... theres plenty of 40+ yo cars here that are still on the road, and we beat the shit out of them cause we can. As for turbo L's I'll only speak for the factory turbo cars, the 280zx... L28t = better than g58bt. The L-series was SUCH a good design that nissan still uses the same basic technology today, can the same be said for the AWE inspiring g58b? No DSM/Mitsubishi saw the same thing the rest of us do and that you are blind to, its a hunk-a-dookie. With enough money even the anemic 3cyl metro motor can be made fast, and with enough money even the headgasket blowing mazda p/u motors can be made reliable, but let get real, its not about the motors... or the even the body... its about the passion. To each his own as long as YOU enjoy it nothing else really matters. Good luck! :thumbup:

lets see, everything about a g54b njv head is better than a l series head. roller rockers, nicely designed mechanicals or hydraulics, Oh lets see, what about the very no brainer design of a cam gear rest so you dont lose timing if you pull a head, oh wait, you cant even leave the gear on a l when pulling the gear. Lets talk about cracking blocks, wait, 4g5x blocks dont crack, l's do..Just the g54b 2.6 was used up until 1996. And the 4g5x series was used from 72 on in various forms including diesel. Oh and there was no major revisions of the engine ever. Head designs changed about as much as heads in 30 something years.

I dont have to dump money into a g54bt to go fast, obviously you dont know jack about them. I love bashing the L, I own one, and have worked on a few.

Comparing a inline6 to a inline 4 is apples and oranges. and pund for pound they can tank about the same abuse before needing new pistons. g54bt has forged rods and crank, along with nitrating from the factory. Like every other stock turbo engine the pistons are the weak spot as they are all cast.

all of us blind mitsubishi and dsm people? You mean the people running low 14s on starions stock and low 13s stock on a piece of crap stock dsm with mbc? As for how grea tthe l28, last time I checked a starion spanked the 280zx and 300zx all around.

Kyle, i will your blasphemy slide because you are my friend, but we are gonna hit up the drags whenever you get your 280z going. We are gonna see who will win g54bt 78 lancer vs 280z holset. Shits gonna be like thunderdome.

But for the fixing a lot of little things, that only pertains to starion fuel injection harness. The only thing I ever do is bsek, new o ring for the oil pickup tube, and sometimes a ajusa head gasket, or jsut a retorque of the stock ehad bolts as called for in the manual.

Edited by City Hunter

I guess people have mixed feelings on the L-series too.

I met some guys on the way down to Canby one year. I think they were driving a late 80's toyota Supra. They wanted to check out the purple 280ZX turbo because they had never seen a turbo Z running. :D lol

I see these L28 turbos all the time in wrecking yards or parts cars. People take them and drop them into another car without any rebuild and go for years. They seem reliable to me. The stupid alternators and radiators keeps going out though.

That's basically what I did. Put some new gaskets in a L28 that had been setting for years and then drove it to California and back.

• 1 month later...

alright i installed the metal head gasket putt in new timing guides and chain removed the balance shafts and replaced the cracked turbo manifold with a spare i had thanks to the help of city hunter. then i took it for a ride and realized the kats where clogged :( but lucky for me shaun had a 3inch exhaust for a starion sitting in his garage we putt it on and boy did it make a diff

well i think i figured out how i blew up the black car turns out my boost controller had a leak in it.

i hooked up a zeitronix wide band and boost sensor on the red car and the boost controller from the black car. I was driveing i stomped on it and my boost shot up to 26 pounds:eek: boy did that thing launch and then it bucked and blew the line off my map sensor. talk about running rich holy crap . on the plus side my car never leaned out. so at least i know my fuel system is doing ok

• 3 weeks later...
Just a little Starion trivia...

Did you know that the Mitsubishi originally wanted it to be called a "Satllion"? But it didn't come out that way to the Americans...so now we have the "Starion"...no BS.

thats a complete myth.

It's a starion in every market and was never mweantt o be stallion.

Starion stands for the star of orion.

mitsubishi loves starts n constellations.

The engiens are named after star systems or something.

the 4 cylinder engine names

sirius 4g63 etc..

astron starion g54bt etc..

saturn eclipse 4g37, old lancer 4g32b etc..

and neptun 60s stuff. ohc 1100, 1000cc stuff.

Not sure on the names of the v6 engines.

Mikey, I still say your engine blew because of massive back rpessure do to blow by. That thing woulda hit boostcut before it boosted 26. Lets face it, that one cylidner had more blow than a drug dealer. We have mikeys freeie quest going pretty damn good right now. Still some minor things like a mixer assebly rebuild, but it shits n gets. It gave mikey the boost bug lmao.

Edited by City Hunter
  • 3 weeks later...

nice red one mikey that thing looks sweet, the black one looks abused but im sure it can be made nice.. an dont u go bashin the 620's now lol, altho i'd have to agree i think the l16 in a truck with 4 speed would be kindof annoyingly slow, i mean my trucks not fast but its quick an it doesnt really drive all that bad, i wouldnt trade my truck for a starion but i'd trade A 620 for a starion, so i think it was a good trade since u have your dime an all an thats your baby.

whats the stock hp/tq in one of those cars anyway?

lets see, everything about a g54b njv head is better than a l series head.

I was gonna point out the jet valves, but then I noticed you mentioned that already.

I've always wanted a Starion, or Conquest, but they seem hard to find around here... Had an 89 D50 4x4 with the G54b in it, and I never had a problem, pulled the head off enough times that I was able to get the time for a HG swap down to about 25 minutes. The head gasket never blew, I thought oil was leaking out from between the head and the block when I swapped on a new Non-jet valve head, but it turned out to be a defective valve cover gasket. :lol:

Always wanted to find the turbo stuff and put it on the truck, but could never find any.