the curse of the black diamonds

as some of you know i have wanted a mitsubishi starion for a while now. i saw one for 600.00 on cl so i offerd the guy 300.00 because it was a little bit beat up i ended up buying it for 400.00 drove it home cleaned it out and found $80.00 in it so i figure i got it for $320.00. This thing is fun to drive . it has a 5 speed a 2.6 liter 4cylender with a turbo lsd and 16x8 wheels. and boy can it do a burn out !:D

conquest1.jpgconquest2.jpgconquest3.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to buy one too a while back for 600$, but when I saw it was rattle canned and not even worth the asking price... There one in my city just abandoned... It looks like it was some ones daily driver until the engine blew I guess. That makes me believe that these cars are really hard to work on....

i like the sweet 80's body style alot myself.

kinda looks like a wide body 3rd gen celica

rpm44.jpg

kinda on the look out for a set of those rims for my pickup, cuz they look quite simmalar to the supra rims i got 3 sets of :D

That must have been the one you were talking about at IKEA.

thanks it is the one i was talking about

i like the sweet 80's body style alot myself.

kinda looks like a wide body 3rd gen celica

rpm44.jpg

kinda on the look out for a set of those rims for my pickup, cuz they look quite simmalar to the supra rims i got 3 sets of :D

people always think they are supras . city hunter has some on his yota they look good

I always like those cars. Real square/sharp body lines. Kinda appealing, but not enough for me to consider purchasing one.

Jason

i figured for what i paid for it if i didnt like it i could re sell it. once got on it i was hooked :D

I was going to buy one too a while back for 600$, but when I saw it was rattle canned and not even worth the asking price... There one in my city just abandoned... It looks like it was some ones daily driver until the engine blew I guess. That makes me believe that these cars are really hard to work on....

they are n0t hard to work on

i owuld love one of those but i am not a fan of the mitsu 2.6l. they were used in the caravans and had major problems from what i recall. so if i got one it would definatley get a nice V8 swap. and yes an LA series chrysler V8 will fit under teh hood without hood mods :D

• 1 month later...

well i think i blew a head gasket on the way home from city hunters house. i was doing 70 i stomped on it the boost went up the car jerked a couple times and it started over heating ad smokeing but it got me home. if any one is in any of the junk yards around portland keep your eyes open for a good 2.6 mitsubishi head :D lets hope its not a piston or ring

good & mitsubishi

thats funny. mitsu 2.6l = big expensive paper weight in my opinion. i have known people with the 2.6l and they bitch non stop about having to fix it all the time. but to each his own i guess. swap a V8 in it and be done with it. :)

thats funny. mitsu 2.6l = big expensive paper weight in my opinion. i have known people with the 2.6l and they bitch non stop about having to fix it all the time. but to each his own i guess. swap a V8 in it and be done with it. :)

you know nothing about them so just shut your yapp. I get so tired of people bashing the engine when all they do is talk about what this othe rperson said.

I've owned so many it's not even funny. I've yet to blow a engine in my old trucks or my 7 or so starions I have owned. I've cracked a head from overheating, and blew one head gasket on my truck. both were my fault.

Nothing wrong with the engines, just the morons who dont maintain them,. It's a timing chain engine that actually needs the guides replaced at 120k or so. People take a 25 year old turbo car that has most likely sat for a long time and dont flush or change hte raditor and then expect them to go forever without overheating, and yes the heads do crack when they overheat.

I told mikey not to buy this car, and I never expected it to last long. how many boosted l series with a comp test of 110 100 80 120 last very long with you turn the boost up and flog it? It was bound to happen. Even with that stupidly bad compresion the car still got up and went good

You never really work on the engine, just fix the crusty old wiring. engine temps on na vs a turbo engine are night and day no matter how hot you think your na runs, it isnt even close to having a turbo there cooking everything.

Hell sakura racing put made the first 7 second 4 cylinder pass back in 97 with a g54b

• 2 weeks later...
you know nothing about them so just shut your yapp.

oh so you know my automotive background???? thats funny as i have never even MET you. and now i really could care less if i do.

EVERY 2.6 i have ever seen has been broken in one way or another. yes its old and most likely abused. but there may be some out there that actually are good. if it works, GREAT! if not then it cant be the motor but something else. right? its always something else......

Guest DatsuNoob

Whatever, it's DSM, which means shit will break. Just ask the guys on POSDSM forum. I haven't heard too many good things about the reliability of the mitsubishi product. My brother was into early eclipses for awhile, he had a 90 talon tsi(awd turbo) that went like hell. Only problem was the damn thing was too heavy, and he was always having to fix something. Weak point in those vehicles are the transmissions, that dual cam 2.0 puts out a fair bit of power, more than the stock tranny can take. I do like the body styles of the old conquests and starions though, but I'd never sell my truck for one.

morons. It isnt a dsm never was. Do your research. Never owned one worked on em. I've worked on gee, I cant even count how many. I dont care for people bashing on engines they have no real experience. Wanna know my experience with these? Ask anyone who knows me. I'm a nice guy but dont go barking on the g54b. I can drop some fbombs on those good ol l series engines you guys have with your retarded rocker setups, but I wont.

As fopr eclipse, yeah they trend to break when you get one with 160k and decide to start doing high boost awd launches all the times. I'm not a dsm fan anyways, but they are cheap and fast. the 1g are quite light compared to say a sti or evo though.

I dont have a issue with 70's or80's mitsubishis, just the quality went to hell with dsm, and still is other than the evo.

Mikey drove a total junker and he got hooked, I woulda traded for the car over the truck in a heart beat personally. having ridden in both. Besides, you go from a noisy rattling scarry old truck to a car that will run low 14s basically bone stock all day long with a super nice interior, 1.5 clutch lsd, and handling... I think the ac even still works lol.

It only took me a few minutes to get mikeys car running pretty smooth, and doing the 50cent mod :) Tonight is 510 night.

Who knowsm, there will prbably be a g54bt 510 rolling around in the future. >=]

Guest DatsuNoob

Aww fuck, City Hunter just called me a moron, and defended the guy who bought another shined up 20 yr old turd to park next to the one that fucked out to begin with. BTW, isnt this thread posted in the "who-really-gives-a-shit-cause-it-not-Datsun" section? :blink: