L20B W/ Duel Side Drafts

Nismo1970

Ok, so first things first. I need some info making my L20 compatible with duel weber 40doce's. I've looked and searched the forum but have not found and answer, and I know some people are tired of hearing about it. Point is I tried and came up empty. So now I'm calling on the forum to help me out.

Ok so I picked these up from a guy on craigslist for 300 bucks (pretty good deal for a complete set up with linkage, I think) the carbs look to be in good condition, and everything looks to be in order, I also got the intake manifold with it, I believe its an s-type cannon manifold. The guy said he had no use for them and wanted them to go to a good home, and they did :)

2013-06-28_22-06-27_923_zpse2e04a33.jpg

2013-06-28_22-05-15_992_zps4c0d841f.jpg

So my question is (I know its been asked but didn't find an answer) what exactly do I have to do to hook these up to my L20 engine? I'm currently running a weber 32/36 which I love but I've always liked the way the side drafts looked/sound. Do I have to do anything special to my engine? I'm not going to be racing/track I just want them for my daily driver. If I have to do a lot of mods to my engine, then i'm just going to get rid of them and keep my 32/36. Any help to clear this up for me would be awesome, i'm new to the side draft chapter, and just need to know the basic set up info.

thanks for taking the time to look and give me some help.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you asking for install instructions, or just basic things to look out for, or a parts list?

A couple things to think about:

• Fuel delivery - stock pump won't be optimal so you will need an electric pump and a good pressure regulator (not one of those $15 ones you find on ebay)Holley_Regulator.jpg

• Your linkage is most likely going to be a cable linkage, judging from the pic of the manifold. Centerpull linkage is the way to go, but apparently they are becoming hard to find.
  • Intake/Exhaust manifold gasket is going to need to be swapped for install. When I run duals I like to plug the water ports in the head so removal of the carbs is easier later. If you want to do this, just run a 1/4 NPT tap into the holes and install some 1/4" socket head pipe plugs.
  • Tuning - Are you good at this? Are you willing to try? Are you ready to be frustrated? What about having somebody set it up the first time so all you have to do is maintain it?

Gather all your parts first and make sure they are in working order and you ought to be able to install these in an afternoon.

Good Luck!

Are you asking for install instructions, or just basic things to look out for, or a parts list?

A couple things to think about:

• Fuel delivery - stock pump won't be optimal so you will need an electric pump and a good pressure regulator (not one of those $15 ones you find on ebay)Holley_Regulator.jpg
  • Your linkage is most likely going to be a cable linkage, judging from the pic of the manifold. Centerpull linkage is the way to go, but apparently they are becoming hard to find.
  • Intake/Exhaust manifold gasket is going to need to be swapped for install. When I run duals I like to plug the water ports in the head so removal of the carbs is easier later. If you want to do this, just run a 1/4 NPT tap into the holes and install some 1/4" socket head pipe plugs.
  • Tuning - Are you good at this? Are you willing to try? Are you ready to be frustrated? What about having somebody set it up the first time so all you have to do is maintain it?
Gather all your parts first and make sure they are in working order and you ought to be able to install these in an afternoon.

Good Luck!

This is some great info. But i guess my real question is, is it worth having this set up if im juat going to use them as a Stock daily driver set up and not a race/track. If i dont build my engine should i just keep the 32/36 ans sell these? I would really like to run these. The electric fuel pump and regulator dont bother me. But as far as a port bore, high compression build does, as i dont want to spend a lot of money to run these.

Shakotan710 responded to your question. Unless you want to get crappy mileage, it doesn't seem worth it to run them.

I saw that, but he didnt tell me if his engine was stock or not. Im not looking to modify mine, i wanna run ot stock, the milage doesnt bother me cuz i just drive it less than 5milesi a day for work, and dont go out much due to my baby.

i dont believe its worth it for a DD, but maybe a single side draft set up will be fun and efficient?

you dont have to build up your motor to run them, but at the least  you will want a EI dizzy ..

and be ready to spend some money tuning, and if you do i would get some sort of A/F ratio gauge

Its pretty simple to hook them up, I had almost the same setup on my l20b and the mileage was not that great, and without a built engine the performance wasn't too good. They are nice but will go through gas really quick!

The way I read it, he says "and without a built engine the performance wasn't too good".

Leads me to believe he had a stock motor. Hopefully he will chime back in.

It depends on how fun you want your DD lol. There will be a slight gain in performance with a stock motor and a noticeable drop in fuel economy to go with it. Shako saying without a built engine performance wasnt too good is misleading, if his ran worse with dcoe's then he was doing something wrong. You wont experience some amazing gain from running them but there WILL be a slight one.  

Tuning isnt that hard if you wrap your mind around tuning to CC. Once they are jetted etc... correctly your basically just syncing them and turning idle screws until they are set how you like it. I honestly dont know where the stigma came from that dcoe's are so hard to work with. This wouldnt be the 1st time someone ran dcoe's on an l20 just look up whats worked for other people and compare it to what you have. Though if you dont have the mind for it I most definitely agree you should have someone set them up for the 1st time then you really dont have to do much of anything. This service shouldnt be expensive either. Also as much as I value Stoffregens knowledge I dont agree you would need to swap out to an electric pump to run these on a street driven stock l20. I run a stock l24 mechanical pump with my triples on a build l28 and have more then enough fuel. Idk if the L20 and l24 pumps are dif but worse case you can just get a z mech pump and be done with it. 

Only bothered typing that because you say you really want to run them. They arent the best carb for daily but they are def the funnest. The best middle ground for a daily imho is a set of SU's. They are the perfect balance of performance, fuel economy, ease of maint and set up etc... So if you find your in over your head you can sell the dcoe's for twice what you paid easy and buy a set of su's ready to bold up and run for a couple hundred bucks, win win.

• Like 1

. The best middle ground for a daily imho is a set of SU's. They are the perfect balance of performance, fuel economy, ease of maint and set up etc... So if you find your in over your head you can sell the dcoe's for twice what you paid easy and buy a set of su's ready to bold up and run for a couple hundred bucks, win win.

This^^^ 

It depends on how fun you want your DD lol. There will be a slight gain in performance with a stock motor and a noticeable drop in fuel economy to go with it. Shako saying without a built engine performance wasnt too good is misleading, if his ran worse with dcoe's then he was doing something wrong. You wont experience some amazing gain from running them but there WILL be a slight one.  

Tuning isnt that hard if you wrap your mind around tuning to CC. Once they are jetted etc... correctly your basically just syncing them and turning idle screws until they are set how you like it. I honestly dont know where the stigma came from that dcoe's are so hard to work with. This wouldnt be the 1st time someone ran dcoe's on an l20 just look up whats worked for other people and compare it to what you have. Though if you dont have the mind for it I most definitely agree you should have someone set them up for the 1st time then you really dont have to do much of anything. This service shouldnt be expensive either. Also as much as I value Stoffregens knowledge I dont agree you would need to swap out to an electric pump to run these on a street driven stock l20. I run a stock l24 mechanical pump with my triples on a build l28 and have more then enough fuel. Idk if the L20 and l24 pumps are dif but worse case you can just get a z mech pump and be done with it. 

Only bothered typing that because you say you really want to run them. They arent the best carb for daily but they are def the funnest. The best middle ground for a daily imho is a set of SU's. They are the perfect balance of performance, fuel economy, ease of maint and set up etc... So if you find your in over your head you can sell the dcoe's for twice what you paid easy and buy a set of su's ready to bold up and run for a couple hundred bucks, win win.

thank you sooooo much for this info. This is the answer i was looking for. :) i'll look into what ppl have, but i don't really driver my 521 very far, id say 14 miles a day to and from work, more if i go to a store or something, but for the most part  about 15miles a day. I'm getting great mileage from my 32/36, but like i said i got a great deal on something i've been wanting to do to my truck. im definitly gonna get these set up by they shop that rebuilt my 32/36, and just run them, i can always sell them later if i don't like them. thank you again for the awesome piece of info.

Sorry for the late response guys. My engine was completely stock, just with a header and exhaust, nothing special. I did gain a little bit of performance, but nothing crazy. In my opinion for driving just 5 miles a day back and forth, and not having to worry about mileage, I would say go for it! They are wayyy better than a 32/36, the sound is so much nicer, you just need to make sure that they are synched and fully working

At what pressure should the fpg set to for dual 40dcoes?

I've always ran 3psi.

As far as putting 40's on an L20, I would first look to see what size chokes are in them, They are probably 28mm. If so. I would run them. Don't worry about cam/ compression/ head flow/ etc.

I ran 40's with 34 chokes on a mostly stock L20, and it ran great. Surprised the shit out of a lot of people at stop lights too. 

Open up the exhaust a bit and get a pressure reg. It only costs a gasket to find out if you like them or not. That size of carbs have been run on less than what you have many times.

I have dual DCOE 40s on my L20B - Honestly couldnt tell you much about them other then they do guzzle fuel and sound great. I do know I have an reground cam - I believe it is Comp Cam # 79-131-6 Grind 2805 - if I am correct is has .050 duration, 236 Deg, .460 Lift, 110 Deg Separation.

Prior owner put them on, I had then "tuned" ... I put that in quotes as it was a favor and done pretty quickly... and have been running them since - Mine dont like to idle until there is some good heat in them - could probably be fixed-and I definitely run rich- also she sounds like she is making dynamite popcorn at any hint of engine braking - but its a race car...

Here are some shots

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

Plenty more if you follow those back to my photobucket

• Like 1